E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #1
rte1

My Ride: E46 M3
Thumbs Up Useful info to help diagnose E46 M3 VANOS solenoid valve problems

Hi,
I was trying to diagnose my own solenoid valve problems (see thread here) and I was in contact with Beisan Systems which make replacement VANOS seal kits (but NOT for the E46 M3 S54 engine as it has the right type of VANOS seals). They provided the following very helpful guide on diagnosing E46 M3 VANOS solenoid issues:

Quote:
The double vanos seals kit on the Beisan website does not apply to the S54 vanos.

The S54 vanos piston seals are made of the correct materials and are in good condition.

The main failure on the S54 vanos is the solenoid pack.

Here is some info on S54 vanos related problems. If you replace your solenoid pack please send me your failed one as I'm looking into rebuilding them.

The vanos can fail and cause the DME to generate fault codes. The codes are usually for the intake side. They include:

Fault 0x43 (67) DME: Inlet vanos, advance valve

Fault 0x48 (72) DME: Inlet vanos, retard valve

Fault 0xB8 (184) DME: Function, inlet vanos

There are two common failures that can cause the vanos codes. The vanos solenoid pack can fail and the exhaust sprocket vanos oil pump driver teeth can break.

Vanos solenoid pack is #2 in this parts diagram.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...93&hg=11&fg=15

Exhaust sprocket vanos oil pump driver teeth are part of #2 in this parts diagram. The driver teeth can be seen on the exhaust sprocket outer component.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...04&hg=11&fg=25

Here is a method to distinguish between the two failures. Reset the codes and start the engine. Let the car idle for 3 minutes. If the codes reappear while the car is idling the problem is likely the exhaust sprocket driver teeth are broken. If the car has to be driven for a period before the problem recurs and the fault codes reappear then the problem is the vanos solenoid pack.

The solenoid pack failure is in most cases intermittent and the car has to be driven for some period, sometimes hundreds of miles, before the problem reappears. But there are some cases where the failure is permanent and the codes appear immediately after starting the car.

In the case where the problem and codes reappear just after starting the car the valve cover needs to be removed to acquire and definitive diagnosis. If the exhaust sprocket driver teeth are broken then that is the fault. If the teeth are still present then the solenoid pack is the fault.

Although the BMW ETK (parts catalog) shows the vanos solenoid pack is discontinued, it is available under a new part number, 11-36-7-839-180, $600-$700.

Replacing the vanos solenoid pack is simple. 2 short and 3 long bolts at the top of the vanos mount the solenoid pack onto the vanos. For access, the fan shroud exhaust side air scoop needs to be removed (2 rivets). There is a sealing plate with O-rings that seals the solenoid pack and vanos connection. The OEM O-rings on the sealing plate are made from Buna and thus fail. Therefore the sealing plate needs to be replaced when replacing the solenoid pack. The sealing plate is #7 on the vanos parts diagram referenced above. The mounting bolts should be tightened evenly to 5 Nm.

If you replace your vanos solenoid pack please send your old unit to Beisan Systems. We are investigating rebuilding the solenoid pack and providing it as a more economic solution.

If the exhaust sprocket teeth are broken then the sprocket component with the driving teeth needs to be replaced. Unfortunately this component is not available separately from BMW and needs to be purchase as a set with the rest of the exhaust sprocket components, #2 on the sprockets parts diagram referenced above.

The timing is disturbed in the installation process and special tools are needed to reset the timing.

A rattle occurs that emanates from the valve cover front. The rattle is due to loose sprocket bolts. This usually occurs on the intake sprocket but can apparently also occur on the exhaust sprocket. The sprocket bolts that come loose are #5 on this parts diagram.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...04&hg=11&fg=25

The #5 bolts are mounted underneath the outer sprocket component, so they can't be seen when the valve cover is remove. The outer sprocket will be found to have some movement.

The bolt threads will be damaged and need to be replaced.

The timing is disturbed in the repair process and special tools are needed to reset the timing.

Here is a forum post thread with pictures of the loose and damaged bolts.

http://pistonheads.co.uk/xforums/topic.asp?h=0&t=570171&r=8910474&hm=83097

Best,

Rajaie

Rajaie Qubain (Raj), President
Beisan Systems LLC (bee-saan), www.beisansystems.com
2109 Longwood Drive, Raleigh, NC 27612
rajaie@beisansystems.com, W (919) 676-1939, M (919) 345-2000
Great service and information from Beisan

Last edited by rte1; 05-01-2010 at 09:19 AM.
rte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
skeelo34

My Ride: 2001 540i, 2002 m3
Send a message via AIM to skeelo34
You should get the autoenginuity tool. Good info though.
skeelo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
NVS PWR

My Ride: E46M3CONVERT, E46SMG
If you get (warmup misfire codes) and the cars runs rough with lack of power- then you have a broken exhaust gearbox sprocket. If you clear the codes and they come back immediately at startup.

If you are get inlet VANOS codes advance/retard- mostlikely then you can reference the solenoid pack. These codes sometimes take a while and sometimes will occur on startup.

** Removed - Tim330i **
NVS PWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
325ifelix

My Ride: 325i
do you know where i can can a link / video to installation
of the front camshaft gear on m54 engine, some one took it parts
and im lost on the front vanos gears /cams
325ifelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
Maveric

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ifelix View Post
do you know where i can can a link / video to installation
of the front camshaft gear on m54 engine, some one took it parts
and im lost on the front vanos gears /cams
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=292233
Old 06-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Rajaie,

Whats your take on slow response times on an S54 motor after running the VANOS test?

DIS says to check the check valve or replace the solenoid pack. I thought I would run it by you before going further. Is this indicative of solders gone or going bad on the soleniod pack?

Thanks
Old 04-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #7
M3_Power_Hustle

My Ride: Laguna Seca E46 M3
Beisan Systems now offers Vanos Solenoid Pack rebuilds and replacements for the S54, so now people know.

Appropriated pain is the greatest profit any human life will ever endure to witness.
M3_Power_Hustle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e46, s54, solenoid, valve, vanos