E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #241
Gengster

My Ride: 325 ci 2002
That worked just great!!
I just have one question what the other two wires on the connector are for???
Gengster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #242
Cazz

My Ride: 2005 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gengster View Post
That worked just great!!
I just have one question what the other two wires on the connector are for???
The OEM alarm goes off if power is disconnected. I believe the other wires provide power to charge a capacitor and for the siren to detect when power is cut.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

*Edit: I was able to look it up in WDS.
- One wire is the emergency current line, which does what I described above.
- The other is a line to tell the siren to arm/disarm. With the siren is disarmed the battery can be disconnect and/or the siren removed without setting off the siren.

Last edited by Cazz; 01-03-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Cazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #243
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Thanks, it worked.

I also wanted to say thanks to tranceasia8. The mod went exactly as described. With the excellent pictures there were no surprises to the project. Although it isn't a full alarm, the $5 buys you a lot of functionality. You get the chirping when opened/closed plus the siren when a door is opened. The speaker I used was the 102db piezo siren from Radio Shack model 273-079. As already mentioned, the volume of this particular unit is just right.

Before starting, you will have to code the car with the appropriate software. I used the GT1 because it's what I had.
Good Times - Original copy

Minimal parts had to come out for this project to complete. It took about 20-30 minutes on a nice relaxing afternoon.
CIMG0405

Connection cable was located top and left. It was taped around with cloth tape to that main cable at the top. I reached in with scissors to free it and connected as described in the first post.
CIMG0400

I used the double-sided tape that comes with those 3M hanging hooks, trimmed to length. I figure if I change my mind on the location, all I have to do is tug on those tabs. This is also the only location I found in there that would accomodate the speaker completely flat for the stick tape to work. I wrapped the connections in that BMW cloth tape to make sure the connection is secure. Don't forget to clean all surfaces before starting.
CIMG0401

After everything was done I taped down the junction so nothing is jumping up and down or forward and back. I didn't want to introduce a new rattle for me to track down or make me nuts.
CIMG0407

Cleaned everything and put everything back together. Here is the final result. Sound is still very audible despite being behind all those panels.

Thanks again to the OP. Good times.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #244
snobitall_ron

My Ride: 1999 323i (e46)
i noticed that sometime when i lock the car the alarm doesnt come on but sometime it does. evrything secure and lock but alarm not on and the clown nose, sometime it works. any idea?
snobitall_ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #245
sdbimmer

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Check your hood pin

Check your engine bay hood pin. Might be defective or loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobitall_ron View Post
i noticed that sometime when i lock the car the alarm doesnt come on but sometime it does. evrything secure and lock but alarm not on and the clown nose, sometime it works. any idea?
sdbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #246
hoang031

My Ride: 01 325i
Did this mod, if you have your engine bay hood opened or your trunk opened, it doesn't trigger the sounds. Other than that, it chirps on open/close and alarm. I used 2x 86db buzzers and doubleside tapped them to the left side.
hoang031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #247
ShaTR

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Just did this using the radio shack ("The Source" in Canada) 273-060 buzzer.

Works perfectly, but simulating a break-in, the sound is a constant tone, not a bewewewewewewew.... like others here.

How do i get the siren like sound too??
ShaTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #248
Bimmage01

My Ride: 330ci ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaTR View Post
Just did this using the radio shack ("The Source" in Canada) 273-060 buzzer.

Works perfectly, but simulating a break-in, the sound is a constant tone, not a bewewewewewewew.... like others here.

How do i get the siren like sound too??
Im guessing buy the Piezo Siren instead of the buzzer. I have the Siren and it works great.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #249
ShaTR

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmage01 View Post
Im guessing buy the Piezo Siren instead of the buzzer. I have the Siren and it works great.
noticed that there's a siren after i posted. Problem is, "the source" doesn't carry the siren up here
ShaTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #250
miamidb

My Ride: 328i BMW
Ok I did this mod today using the piezo siren everything works great but alarm not working with my motion sensor .. or if I act like a break in .. is it normal??

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
miamidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #251
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Quote:
Ok I did this mod today using the piezo siren everything works great but alarm not working with my motion sensor
do you have that sensor?
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #252
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamidb View Post
Ok I did this mod today using the piezo siren everything works great but alarm not working with my motion sensor .. or if I act like a break in .. is it normal??

this function is strictly for the sound you get when the lights flash... unless you have the other alarm parts and the alarm system "activated," you aren't going to get anything else with this

actually... come to think of it, if you lock the doors with the windows down, then you open them from the inside, it should hold the beep

but motion sensor... no
Old 04-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #253
miamidb

My Ride: 328i BMW
Well I have factory alarm set up but its very dim sound u know.BMW but even when I try to open the door from inside while lock it doesn't hold the siten

miamidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #254
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Just did this DIY. I'm far from mechanically savvy, but I was able to pull this off without much difficulty. Used the 102db Piezo siren from radio shack and it sounds great. My friend has an E39 M5, so I'm going to compare the two sounds.

By the way, walmart has a 64 bit toolset on sale for 10 bucks which included a full set of torx. Screw driver was cheap plastic, but worked fine. It also came with a precision screw driver set.
morningisbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #255
goose123

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
Nice DIY OP. Did this today. I went with two of the sirens, one on each side. Tested and it worked as advertised. Put everything back together and I get nothing. Guess a connection got loose. At least it is pretty easy to take apart.

goose123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #256
timotheous7

My Ride: 00 328i sport
Did this mod and went with w 102db piezo sirens from RadioShack mounted side by side in next to the DSC module and Works and sounds beautiful. Thanks OP for the DIY
If any one is interested in a video of sound I can do one.
timotheous7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #257
BM3R 330

My Ride: 2002 330i
SO let me get this straight...
BMW when throught the trouble of pre wiring $40,000 cars to be set up with an alarm but they couldnt add a simple 5$ siren to have a basic functioning alarm?
I think alarms should have been standard equipment on all models...

I have a small signature
BM3R 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #258
Abby77

My Ride: 2004 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3R 330 View Post
SO let me get this straight...
BMW when throught the trouble of pre wiring $40,000 cars to be set up with an alarm but they couldnt add a simple 5$ siren to have a basic functioning alarm?
I think alarms should have been standard equipment on all models...

LOL i was thinking the same thing ..... But what the hell 5 bucks i did it a few days ago and it works Great

Thanks OP !!!!!!
Abby77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #259
seamanhydro

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Thanks tranceasia8! I got a buzzer from RadioShack and it all worked first time. No stealership required. My 17 year old daughter will be thrilled that she now doesn't have to guess if her car is locked.
seamanhydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #260
Alexandrle330ci

My Ride: e46 BMW 330ci Sport
I'm going to radio shak in the morning to get this, I read every page of this thread. I'm a major electronic noob, so some of you say the 90db is too soft, so what's the general concencuss on what to get? Do I just walk in radio shak and ask for piezo sirens? I mean like what is the exact thing I ask for? What sound the best?
Alexandrle330ci is offline   Reply With Quote