E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #81
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
have you thought about tying in more than one?

also. did you add length to your wiring for this? i have the RS siren with a few inches of cord on it already. should i look to get longer cord? what gauge did you use? thanks.
no, i'm just going to use one and get a louder one

i had 18 gauge, that was way too thick... i didn't have that much wire at my house, but found an old sony AC adapter and used that wire... i "pinned" the wire into the correct slots in the OEM plug, and ran the wire to my "drug bin"

currently i have about 2 feet of wire just hanging there... once i get a permanent buzzer, i'll cut the wire and mount it nice and clean

FYI i have another 6 inches or so of wire hanging where the plug us (behind the firewall,) just incase i for some reason need some extra slack
Old 05-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #82
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
^ Thanks. let me know which one you end up with and if it was loud enough.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:00 AM   #83
JJR4884

will do... probably later in the week i'll take a ride to radio shack and see what they have

i'll probably have to get the bigger one... hopefully it still has that OEM sound... these are closer to $10-$12... all the little $5 buzzers don't go louder than 86db, at least in the two stores i went to
Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #84
Cazz

My Ride: 2005 BMW M3
The one I got was number 273-079. It is 102 dB and was $5.50. It is plenty loud for me.
Cazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #85
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazz View Post
The one I got was number 273-079. It is 102 dB and was $5.50. It is plenty loud for me.
is it big?

no h0m0
Old 05-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #86
odgamma15

My Ride: 2003 330 ci
just got radioshack model number 273-079... Im going to try to get it installed tonight... any mounting Ideas?

I also out of curiosity tried simulating a break in on my car since my clown nose flashes... no siren (yet) of course, but I noticed when I got in... the clown nose was flashing like crazy when I started the car. Im guessing the alarm function has been turned on?

I've been trying to find out if the simulated breakin alarm goes off after a while w no luck... so once i try it ill post what I find in case anyone else cares... if this ends up being a $5 alarm, OP... good find/idea bro!!

odgamma15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #87
odgamma15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
is it big?

no h0m0
Its about 2.5 x 1.5 maybe at its largest...

Old 05-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #88
JetBlackE46
Modded

My Ride: E36/E46 M3 E46 323
nice write up - thanks!
Old 05-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #89
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by odgamma15 View Post
Its about 2.5 x 1.5 maybe at its largest...
you poor thing

i think i know which one you are talking about... they are in the the drawer above the little ones, right?

does it still sound the same, or does it have a different tone?

i'll go buy one right now if its the same sound just louder
Old 05-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #90
odgamma15

[QUOTE=JJR4884;11730423]you poor thing

Thats just the tip... lol

It sounds like the buzzer on the OP's original video post... take a AA batter with you, maybe slightly quiter than if you put it up to the car, but you get a general idea of what it will sound like

Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #91
Cazz

Quote:
just got radioshack model number 273-079... Im going to try to get it installed tonight... any mounting Ideas?
I just did double sided tape on the firewall in the drug bin.

Quote:

I also out of curiosity tried simulating a break in on my car since my clown nose flashes... no siren (yet) of course, but I noticed when I got in... the clown nose was flashing like crazy when I started the car. Im guessing the alarm function has been turned on?
Mine did not do that, so if you want the siren you may be in luck.

Quote:
i think i know which one you are talking about... they are in the the drawer above the little ones, right?
Yes.

Quote:
does it still sound the same, or does it have a different tone?

i'll go buy one right now if its the same sound just louder
It sounds similar. See post #42. The video has a couple of chirps and the siren.

Last edited by Cazz; 05-11-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:31 AM   #92
JJR4884

thanks cazz
Old 05-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #93
odgamma15

OP gets a huge for this...

Bought my car used, with the flashing lights/clown nose function on already, so I cant say what was activated by dealer...
Install was super easy, 30 minutes and $5 later I have an alarm!

*doors lock... 1 beep, lights flash once
*doors unlock... 2 beeps, lights flash twice
*hold the trunk open button for about 5 seconds... panic alarm goes off, no flashing lights
*simulated break in after you lock the car... alarm goes off, no flashing lights, auto resets after about 20 seconds... when you unlock the car to get in... clown nose flashes like crazy to let you know the alarm went off.

Thats all I can say about my experience with this mod. I wish I was more auto electronics savy so I can play around with the other 2 wires on the siren plug... maybe the siren sends signal to the lights to flash when the alarm goes off?? I read somewhere that all the alarm kit has is 2 sensors and the siren, but the brain of the alarm is attached to the cars computer.

you cant beat this diy for the price.... period

Old 05-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #94
queezy1

My Ride: '04 BMW 325 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
clown nose blinking and lights flashing when locked is signs of a activated alarm
all your missing is the tilt sensor and the motion sensor.
Not 100% true. I am pre-wired for the alarm. I went to the dealer with a list of options that are available for our keys. There was the alarm activation option, or just blink lights upon arming without the alarm installed. I had the latter activated.

2004 325i SMG
Mods: BMW Performance Intake, Carbon Fiber Strut Bar, LED Angel Eyes, Xenesis Head/Fog Lights, Xexon Interiors, Clears all around, Matte Black Grille, M3 Trunk Lip Spoiler, Rear Tint, Black/White Roundels, Silver Trim/Knob, Silver Gauges/Rings, Aluminum Pedals, Alpine MP3 Changer, XM, GPS & Parrot Bluetooth all Hardwired, Alpine Speakers, Sub & Amps wired with Monster Connectors/Wires, Custom Sub Enclosure & Amp Rack
queezy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #95
sh00th00ps

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i
Ok i have a question. I have the 2730079 piezo siren from radioshack. Befor installation, my clown nose and lights would blink when lockin and unlocking. After installation, the siren would chirp when i lock and unlock, however i could not get the siren to go off with the trunk key or with a break in simulation. So, i went to the dealership to ask someone, and their techs were out apparently, so I talked to one of the guys there and he said he can't advise on anything since its aftermarket, but he offered to read my key to check if I was even pre-wired for the alarm. Apparently i was not

So, if you dont want to read the above, this is my question:
Can your car blink the lights and clown nose even if you are not pre-wired for the alarm? And what can i do to make my siren go off?

TIA
Old 05-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #96
tranceasia8

My Ride: 2003 325i , 03 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh00th00ps View Post
Ok i have a question. I have the 2730079 piezo siren from radioshack. Befor installation, my clown nose and lights would blink when lockin and unlocking. After installation, the siren would chirp when i lock and unlock, however i could not get the siren to go off with the trunk key or with a break in simulation. So, i went to the dealership to ask someone, and their techs were out apparently, so I talked to one of the guys there and he said he can't advise on anything since its aftermarket, but he offered to read my key to check if I was even pre-wired for the alarm. Apparently i was not

So, if you dont want to read the above, this is my question:
Can your car blink the lights and clown nose even if you are not pre-wired for the alarm? And what can i do to make my siren go off?

TIA
I was under the impression that all 3-series were pre-wired for the OEM alarm...

As far as the flashing lights its just one of many options that can be programed.

did you try to open the trunk with the key while it was armed?

work in progress.....

$5 Lock Beep DIY- http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=761104
tranceasia8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:32 PM   #97
tranceasia8

My Ride: 2003 325i , 03 R1
Just wondering how everyone else was working?

work in progress.....

$5 Lock Beep DIY- http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=761104
tranceasia8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #98
Cowspoo

My Ride: 328Ci
really cool. thanks!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #99
Cazz

Quote:
Thats all I can say about my experience with this mod. I wish I was more auto electronics savy so I can play around with the other 2 wires on the siren plug... maybe the siren sends signal to the lights to flash when the alarm goes off?? I read somewhere that all the alarm kit has is 2 sensors and the siren, but the brain of the alarm is attached to the cars computer.
I looked up the wiring in WDS. The two wires we tapped into are the #4-siren (from the general module control unit) and #1-siren return.

The other two wires go directly to the tilt sensor (#2) and to a fuse (#3). The OEM alarm has some internal circuitry. I believe it includes a capacitor that is used to drive the siren if the battery is disconnected without disarming the alarm.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #100
Cowspoo

My Ride: 328Ci
Here's my side of the story.
When I lock my car, there's a light that blinks by the radio. The clown nose has never lit up. I plugged the red into the brown/black and the black into the black/blue. Nothing happened ( I held down the hood trigger).
EDIT:

The only combination for inputs that returns a sound are RED(from buzzer) into Input 1. Black into Input 2. That's a constant LOUD siren immidiately when connected
Combination in OP doesn't produce the unlock/lock beep. In my trunk, it says i'm prewired for a security system too

Anyone have luck on a 2000 3series or know what i'm doing wrong?

Last edited by Cowspoo; 05-14-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Cowspoo is online now   Reply With Quote