E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
Will the Cruel

My Ride: M3 Convertible
Remote Start..possible on M3?

I'm just putting the finishing touches on my 2002 M3 vert and wanted to add a remote start as the last project. I was down at a local stereo shop who stated this was not possible since the brake pedal needed to be pressed when the car was started. Now I've seen other cars that had remote starts which needed the brake pressed as well. The tech tried to tell me it wasn't possible with the M3. Although this is a highly reputable shop in the local area (Northern Virginia) I'm not confident in his response. The vehicle has the SMG transmission.

Any help would be provided. Again, this is the last touch on my project and I plan on posting pics as soon as I get it back. I'm not that savy when it comes to electronics and would prefer the professionals take care of this particular project.

Thanks..
Will the Cruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:05 AM   #2
realcompm3

My Ride: 15 M4
sorry. not gonna happen
realcompm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
deadlysyns

My Ride: 2004 M3
It can be done.
deadlysyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
xxunknownxx

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlysyns View Post
It can be done.

yup everytime u get out of your car, leave a wooden plank pressed against the brake pedal and leave your car on neutral, then maybe it can be done
xxunknownxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
Tony Soprano

My Ride: E36 M3/4
remote start and rap music are whats wrong with america, just say no.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
Beamn46

My Ride: 02 M3 SMG CB/CINN
Send a message via AIM to Beamn46 Send a message via MSN to Beamn46
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxunknownxx View Post
yup everytime u get out of your car, leave a wooden plank pressed against the brake pedal and leave your car on neutral, then maybe it can be done
but true....
Beamn46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
Macho3

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Send a message via AIM to Macho3
it can be done cause i have install one but please dont put a remote start on your m3
Old 01-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
Beamn46

Quote:
Originally Posted by macho3 View Post
it can be done cause i have install one but please dont put a remote start on your m3
holy sweet baby jesus...what color is ur car...
Old 01-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
BruceWayne
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 LSB ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamn46 View Post
holy sweet baby jesus...what color is ur car...
+1
Old 01-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
Macho3

thanks guys its a topaz blue wit alot of wax
Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #11
Macho3

this is why you dont want a remote start http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=639528 hope it helps
Old 01-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #12
Beamn46

lmao i guess..thats what i call dedication lol looks good man...
Old 01-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #13
Evil Twin Rob

Compu Star makes a remote start designed specifically for manual transmissions. I have three vehicles, including my M3, with the Compu Star remote start/alarm, and they work great. My M3 is a manual, but the instal for smg shouldn't be much different.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #14
Beamn46

where the hell have you been rob??
Old 01-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #15
yellowssm

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by realcompm3 View Post
sorry. not gonna happen
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxunknownxx View Post
You guys have no idea. I HAVE a 6MT E46 M3 with a viper remote start and no I dont have to use a piece of wood. It works like a regular remote start. You guys must have 5hitty stereo shops there cause it is simple. Also my remote start has a built in turbo timer which is really the main reason I got the alarm.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #16
blackonblack330i

My Ride: 2002 330ci
james bond style with the phone as a bmw joystick
blackonblack330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #17
///MMB

My Ride: sux
if any one can its chris; http://forum.e46fanatics.com/member.php?u=8723
///MMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #18
Evil Twin Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamn46 View Post
where the hell have you been rob??
Still digging myself out of the snow, and working 7 10's in Moses Lake.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #19
serviceman24

My Ride: 02 M3
It most certainly can be done!

I know this, because I had an 02 M3 w/smg and I installed an alarm with remote start on it. Its a bit of a pain in the ass, but a good installer should be able to tackle the job. The problem comes in with the brake needing to be depressed to start the car. There's actually two problems here... One you must wire the remote start to send a trigger the the brake to make it think it is depressed, and then diode isolate it from the remote start brake wire that has to be connected. If this isnt done properly and in the correct sequence, the remote start wont activate. It can and has been done!
serviceman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:39 AM   #20
beheman

My Ride: BMW 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will the Cruel View Post
I'm just putting the finishing touches on my 2002 M3 vert and wanted to add a remote start as the last project. I was down at a local stereo shop who stated this was not possible since the brake pedal needed to be pressed when the car was started. Now I've seen other cars that had remote starts which needed the brake pressed as well. The tech tried to tell me it wasn't possible with the M3. Although this is a highly reputable shop in the local area (Northern Virginia) I'm not confident in his response. The vehicle has the SMG transmission.

Any help would be provided. Again, this is the last touch on my project and I plan on posting pics as soon as I get it back. I'm not that savy when it comes to electronics and would prefer the professionals take care of this particular project.

Thanks..
Hello,

I have an 04 M3 with SMG II transmission. I had a compustar remote starter with Dronemobile which allows me to start the car from anywhere. It seemed like a good idea at the time but not now. After the install by a Dronemobile (who owns Compustar or vis versa), whenever I activated the remote, the SMG warning light would come on. The owner of the shop told me not to worry about it, that it was working fine. If I would turn off the car manually, and then start the car with the key, the warning light would not come on. This summer, the SMG warning light came on while we were driving. The shop that works on the car was closed that Friday and I thought it might just be a glitch. Well, I got about an hour or so away from home and could not start the car, nor get it into neutral. I had to have the car flatbedded to the shop to the tune of almost $500.00 and when my mechanic checked it out, he said the SMG pump was cooked. $4000.00 later, not counting the tow, and the car is back on the road. My mechanic was not sure that this is what caused the pump to burn out, and after reading so much about so many people having the pump fail on them, I'm not sure if it was the Dronemobile and Compustar either, but it certainly is suspect. The car only has 50k on it, and has been babied and (almost) never pushed hard through the gears, so I don't know what to say to anyone thinking of this. I know I'm replying to a very old post, but I'm just writing to spare someone else this same expensive lesson.

If anyone on this website has had the same thing happen to them, I'd appreciate a reply as if this was the fault of the Dronemobile and the Compustar, I could certainly use some help and getting some restitution. The installation and parts to have this remote started put in was around $900.00, so if you total it all out, I'm out well over $5 grand.

Thanks.
beheman is offline   Reply With Quote