E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
wadi

My Ride: a bimmer
expansion tank delema

so i bought an expansion tank off ebay from a parts supplier in america. the expansion tank arrives and to my horror there is an extra hole. apparently this is for euro spec 318i? is there such a thing as euro spec 318i? and does it have a diffferent cooling system. Long story short the seller is clearly not interested in paying for the return shipping to america. ill enclose the lunk and if anyone coudl point out where it blatently says this will not fit my car that would be great. I understand you have way more bmw knowledge than me so please try to think as a much simpler person.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
wadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
Where's the extra hole?

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Is there a part number on it? Post some pics if you can.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Hey, maybe they have the heater delete down under???
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
petro

My Ride: '14 328i, '99 328iA
The picture looks like the same one from my australian delivered 328iA which I just replaced with one from ECSTuning no problems.
petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:56 AM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadi View Post
so i bought an expansion tank off ebay from a parts supplier in america. the expansion tank arrives and to my horror there is an extra hole. apparently this is for euro spec 318i? is there such a thing as euro spec 318i? and does it have a diffferent cooling system. Long story short the seller is clearly not interested in paying for the return shipping to america. ill enclose the lunk and if anyone coudl point out where it blatently says this will not fit my car that would be great. I understand you have way more bmw knowledge than me so please try to think as a much simpler person.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
OP,

I don't know your car, but from the ebay listing, I do not see your model listed...that's all I can say. Also, iirc, there is a tiny hole that the T-25 screw goes through to mount to the mounting bracket...I don't think you're talking about that extra hole...but just in case you are...

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
wadi

hey guys, i cant get a pic atm but ill try to explain. Remove the splash cover and get under the car. looking at the expansion tank as its mounted with my legs sticking out the front of the car. There is an extra hole that clearly fits another hose. its on the wall facing the engine. the one in my car does not have this.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
wadi

just had another look. Looking at the ebay pic that tube sticking out of the side that you can see is what im on about.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
Renboy

My Ride: 04 330Ci '08 Daytona
That's the same tank I installed in my car...yesterday. I don't know about AUS models, but it fit perfectly in my car. The tank has 6 holes total: fill hole, directly behind the fill hole is a hole for the upper radiator hose, half way down is that hole that you apparently don't have (don't know where this one leads), then there's the hole for the sensor, the large one that connects to the lower radiator, and the smaller one beside that used for the drain. I just checked realoem and there is a euro 318ti that uses that same tank (I checked the left hand drive model ?difference?). Unfortunately there's no AUS choice on realoem so I have no clue what you have/need.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
wadi

wiiiiiiiiiiiiierd :S
Old 05-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
Does your heat work properly? Maybe someone bypassed a broken heater core?

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #12
zbi701

My Ride: E46 318i
No picture - difficult to understand what you need. Do you have Auto or Manual ? I'm guessing it's for transsmission oil cooler, No?
zbi701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:06 AM   #13
mestupmonkydude
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 328i
i never will understand why people buy sh1t off of ebay, you never know what you will get. granted the scamming isnt as bad as it used to be but come on. you saved 12 dollars compared to this http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-328...ling/ES253026/ something you know will work.
mestupmonkydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:34 AM   #14
wadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestupmonkydude View Post
i never will understand why people buy sh1t off of ebay, you never know what you will get. granted the scamming isnt as bad as it used to be but come on. you saved 12 dollars compared to this http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-328...ling/ES253026/ something you know will work.
thats the same tank that came in the mail. ill get pics tomorro
Old 05-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #15
mestupmonkydude
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadi View Post
thats the same tank that came in the mail. ill get pics tomorro
What are the specs on your car model and year.
mestupmonkydude is offline   Reply With Quote