E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
HellRaiser1

My Ride: 2004 M3
Too Soon to replace fuel filter?

I just replaced my fuel filter during my last tune-up on 8/09, about 15,000 miles ago.

However, there have been times where I've taken my car until the "low fuel" light pops up (i know, i shouldn't do that)....and I figure I'll be tinkering around there anyways...

Will it be a waste of money being that the filter will probably be clean?

Or should I do it as a precaution, better to do it than not to do it, can't hurt?

THANKS
HellRaiser1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
KhanArt

My Ride: 04 M3 JB/Cinn
I would also like to know when is it recommended to change your fuel filter...not the early stuff the stealership tells you but around how many miles you should really change your fuel filter.
KhanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
3Dirty

My Ride: 2001 330ci
well.. I have 150k on mine, and haven't replaced it .. car runs like a champ though ...lol .. I have a new one sitting in a box though ..

3Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
I really wish the myth that running to near empty makes your fuel pump suck up dirt you wouldn't otherwise would just die already... There's absolutely no real reason to not run the car to near empty. You won't suck up any more dirt or debris running it down because your fuel pickup is always at the bottom of the tank where any dirt would settle anyway. Any gas station outside the third world should be filtering the fuel they dispense so you don't get much dirt even in to your tank. And no, your fuel pump is not cooled by the gas it's submerged in, it's cooled by the fuel it pumps through itself. So unless the pump is sucking air, it won't run too hot.

My car's at 150,000 miles and I always run the gas down 'til near empty. It's pretty rare that I have a fill-up of less than 15 gallons. My fuel pump works as well as ever, and when I replaced the filter at about 140,000 miles preventatively, the gas that drained out of it was still nice and clean.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
i swapped mine at 90K. i figure its just part of maintenance. so i would say every 60K orso is good.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
325adam

My Ride: 02 330i
I changed mine out at 65K and the fuel that came out of the filter wasn't dirty at all.
325adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Tangent, I changed my filter at 90k and it was BLACK.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
I opened the tank of a 89 ford bronco and it looked brand new. I think this whole fuel filter thing is a joke. Unless someone deliberately contaminates your tank you'll be fine. Here ya go: Does anyone have a pic of one they changed that was clogged? If there is one out there, I haven't seen it

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsbma View Post
I opened the tank of a 89 ford bronco and it looked brand new. I think this whole fuel filter thing is a joke. Unless someone deliberately contaminates your tank you'll be fine. Here ya go: Does anyone have a pic of one they changed that was clogged? If there is one out there, I haven't seen it
I cannot speak for BMW's, but my last fuel filter on my Suburban was black and full of crap at 80k. I did have a tendency to run it till it got down near empty, but I'm not sure it had anything to do with it. So while I do not have a picture of the filter and the black gas that came out of it, rest assured it did at least happen to me.
VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
325adam

My Ride: 02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by willsbma View Post
I think Solidjake posted his fuel filter and it was really dirty. That is the only one I have seen.
325adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #11
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i

Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:33 PM   #12
Toad21

My Ride: 00' 328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
I really wish the myth that running to near empty makes your fuel pump suck up dirt you wouldn't otherwise would just die already... There's absolutely no real reason to not run the car to near empty.
Um, you are wrong sir. Running the FUEL PUMP on emtpy will destroy it, just as running any fluid pump with just air.

Don't beleive me? Try running until completely empty and then flooring it alot extra for a few minutes.

This does not effect the Fuel Filter however, so that is a myth. However it will destroy your fuel pump.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #13
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Tangent, I changed my filter at 90k and it was BLACK.
Time to change which gas stations you use. I had an even worse experience with a parts truck I used to drive years ago. The filter had to be changed every 10,000 miles or so and was filthy from the crap pumped out of the tanks of the Chevron i had to fill it at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad21 View Post
Um, you are wrong sir. Running the FUEL PUMP on emtpy will destroy it, just as running any fluid pump with just air.

Don't beleive me? Try running until completely empty and then flooring it alot extra for a few minutes.

This does not effect the Fuel Filter however, so that is a myth. However it will destroy your fuel pump.
Umm, you might want to re-read my post. Allow me to highlight relevant portions for you:

Quote:
There's absolutely no real reason to not run the car to near empty.
Quote:
So unless the pump is sucking air, it won't run too hot.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:56 PM   #14
My325XI

My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
Recommended every Inspection II, approx every 60K. I'm sure it wont hurt but their not the cheapest things either to be replacing every 15K.

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:53 AM   #15
TallTravel

My Ride: E46/2
My 01 330ci has 165,000 on the fuel filter, which is the original.

I am going to replace it soon, just because I figure it can't last forever, but it has thus far shown no real signs of failing.
TallTravel is offline   Reply With Quote