E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
bimmer654

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Wipers Stuck in Up Position..please help

Brought my car into the body shop for an M-Tech II bumper & shadow molding install. When I picked it up the wipers were stuck in up position. They work, but always stop in the up position. Body Shop claims they didn't do anything, but they worked fine when I brought it in. Could it have anything to do with re-wiring for the fogs? I know they had to cut the connectors off & put new ones for the new fogs. Perhaps that screwed something up electrically. Or maybe it's just coincidence because it did rain while the car was there & they could have moved it, turned the wipers on & they got stuck. Is there a way I can fix this or do I have to bring it to the stealership? Body shop says BMW either has to reset it or it could be a motor issue. Please advise & thanks in advance for your help.

Update: This is really weird. Tried my wipers again just for the hell of it & now they return to normal position. Go figure. Hope they stay that way! Tempermental Bimmer I guess...

Last edited by bimmer654; 05-11-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: update
bimmer654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
David F

My Ride: 323i, 740iL, 633CSi
Kinda sounds like body shop put wipers in service positon removed wiper arms and reinstalled in down position. So, when wipers are up and stopped, remove wiper arms and reinstall in correct position. What can it hurt?

The motor has a "park" position switch that tells the motor when the wipers are at the stopped or rest position. Seems to me the motor is responding the park signal, but the arms are not installed correctly.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
bimmer654

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
Kinda sounds like body shop put wipers in service positon removed wiper arms and reinstalled in down position. So, when wipers are up and stopped, remove wiper arms and reinstall in correct position. What can it hurt?

The motor has a "park" position switch that tells the motor when the wipers are at the stopped or rest position. Seems to me the motor is responding the park signal, but the arms are not installed correctly.
Thank you for your response David, but the body shop was just installing a bumper cover & side window moldings which would give them no reason to remove wiper arms that I can think of.

Last edited by bimmer654; 05-07-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
David F

My Ride: 323i, 740iL, 633CSi
Then possibly you can't think of everything. What do you have to lose? Or just live with it the way it is...your call.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Remove the wiper arms, turn the ignition key to the first position, hit the wiper switch for a single swipe, re-attach the wiper arms.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
bimmer654

Thanks guys, I have really looked at this too hard, but is it easy to remove the wiper arms? I did a quick search & it appears you need a special tool & it's a real PIA getting them off.

Last edited by bimmer654; 05-07-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
habbyguy

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
So, when wipers are up and stopped, remove wiper arms and reinstall in correct position. What can it hurt?
A lot, actually.

Remember that when you turn the wipers on from the above state, they're gonna try to go DOWN. If they're already sitting in down at the bottom of the windshield... things are gonna get "interesting".
Old 05-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
bimmer654

Quote:
Originally Posted by habbyguy View Post
A lot, actually.

Remember that when you turn the wipers on from the above state, they're gonna try to go DOWN. If they're already sitting in down at the bottom of the windshield... things are gonna get "interesting".
???
Old 05-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
habbyguy

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer654 View Post
???
Read the post I was replying to - his "fix" was to just take the wiper arms off when they were in the "up" position and reinstall them in the "down" position. My point is that if you were to do that, the first time you turned on your wipers, they'd go DOWN (from the already "down" position).

OK, not far, but I really hate to think what would break / blow out from the wipers trying to burrow their way through the wiper valance.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
bimmer654

Quote:
Originally Posted by habbyguy View Post
Read the post I was replying to - his "fix" was to just take the wiper arms off when they were in the "up" position and reinstall them in the "down" position. My point is that if you were to do that, the first time you turned on your wipers, they'd go DOWN (from the already "down" position).

OK, not far, but I really hate to think what would break / blow out from the wipers trying to burrow their way through the wiper valance.
got ya now..thanks
Old 05-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
quacktoduck

My Ride: e39
sounds more like your wiper relay went out... look in your ecu and just plug and unplug its a 20 dollar or less relay try that
quacktoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #12
bimmer654

Quote:
Originally Posted by quacktoduck View Post
sounds more like your wiper relay went out... look in your ecu and just plug and unplug its a 20 dollar or less relay try that
Um... dumb question, What's an "ecu"?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
quacktoduck

My Ride: e39
electronic control unit.... a search or googling renders an answer not spoon fed

the ecu is located near the hood hinge looking into the motor you'll see on the left corner if most likely a cover that you'll have to remove to get to it...
quacktoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
bimmer654

Quote:
Originally Posted by quacktoduck View Post
electronic control unit.... a search or googling renders an answer not spoon fed

the ecu is located near the hood hinge looking into the motor you'll see on the left corner if most likely a cover that you'll have to remove to get to it...
thx much
Old 05-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
bimmer654

This is really weird. Tried my wipers just for the hell of it & they now return to normal position. Go figure??? Hope they stay that way!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #16
Rocket22

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
THis is the solution 9 out of 10 times

It is not the ECU, since the control of the ECU is to send power to the wipers to go through the cycle. Chances are the wipers have slipped at the point of connection of the wiper motor to the actual mechanics of the wipers. The motor continues to start and stop at the same place, the alignment needs to be addressed.

Normally this out of alignment is caused by winter environments, snow and ice, that put a strain on the wipers and cause the linkage to move. It is a simple no cost fix if everything else is working correctly.

I have made this repair on several BMW's and it does take a little bit of time to get the wiper motor out and reconfigured.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. DO not get screwed by the dealer or buy a new wiper motor. I have one sitting in my garage which has been realigned to correct specs.
Rocket22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #17
Rocket22

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
correction to my post

I just saw your last reply, in that case, do check your wiper replay. My repair is utilized when the linkage slides off the original position.
Rocket22 is offline   Reply With Quote