E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.14 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
HotDoggin

My Ride: E46 325iT (357iT)
Cool Baddest Grocery Getter, Ever. E46 LS1

Hey y'all!
I've officially joined the dark-side...

Being as this is my first post, I'll go ahead and throw the mandatory first post jibberish in- Hi everyone *shaky new kids voice*... My name is Gordon- I live north of Cincinnati, Ohio... Been an E36 owner for many years, and recently made the plunge into the E46 world..

Drove down to Nashville, TN and picked up an '03 Mystic Metallic Blue over Dove Grey E46 Sport Wagon..
(The day it was purchased)

Just before, had spent a weekend with a good friend in Canton, OH and acquired the best part of this project - the '99 Gen III LS1/T56 out of a Camaro SS..

Alas, the project is just about to get started (hopefully) - Assuming summer and household responsibilities don't take over (which is a distinct possibility) Then I will be updating this thread as I go, and we'll see what we can do..

Since it's likely going to be asked, goal is ~500HP at the wheels, ~7200RPM, daily-driver levels of reliability.. Plan is to do all new bearings, camshaft, injectors, ported/polished heads, intake/throttle body... uh.. and a dry-sump system to both provide oil pan/steering rack clearance as well as that whole reliability thing..

Will do a full suspension overhaul/upgrade following engine/tranny transplant, some large fender flares (Gotta stuff 285s on all four corners) and will also likely choose to do a custom rear subframe with Ford 8.8" IRS diff (to handle ALL the powers!).. All and all, this is going to be one hell of a project- Glad I can share it with you guys (and pick your brains for E46 information)

Fun factoid- the extra weight of the LS1 system up front is going to mean a near perfect 50/50 weight split (better than factory!) More fun to be had on the track!!! (Or with kids/groceries in the back, of course)
HotDoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
Teddy7

My Ride: slides
If this actually happens, I'll be so jealous.
Teddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Tate325xi

My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
Wow. So in.

Also, very clean E36.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.

Last edited by Tate325xi; 04-22-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
Dazza335iC

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '92 335iC
sub'd!
Dazza335iC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
HotDoggin

To be fair, this is probably going to be a painfully slow process, purely due to some of the complications of this project and the E46 LS1 swap still being relatively uncharted territory..

I'm already slowly diving into the engine and starting to rebuild, but I need to build a shed behind my house to get the non engine-swap stuff OUT of the garage...

The goal is to maintain 100% functionality of everything BMW, with the exception of the emissions crap So, dashboard, AC, Heat, cruise, etc.. I'm suspicious I'll have to take some coding classes in the near future to be able to use an Arduino as the go-between for GM and BMW can-bus systems..

Last edited by HotDoggin; 04-22-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I never knew the tourings were so heavy
Old 04-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
orb

My Ride: Coupè
In
orb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
HotDoggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I never knew the tourings were so heavy
That was with 3/4 of a tank, no driver (I believe)..

They are heavy, but I autocrossed this as is 2 weeks ago on the sport suspension and some sticky rubber.. Car handled unbelievably well for an open diff with no mods- Super balanced, trail-braked nicely (guessing because of the gigantic ass it's lugging around).. Being the sport package, it's also loaded- power/heated seats, has the heavy rear cargo privacy screen thingie, etc. etc. ~3800lb is heavy, but I'm guessing that weight will "disappear" when better grip/power are included..
Old 04-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Oh I'm sure the extra power will really help, I just always thought they were closer to sedan weight than that (3300 or so)

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 04-22-2014 at 10:43 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Don't leave us hanging on this. Sick project.

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #11
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Here's a good thread on one that's been done before.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=851414

And a reminder for exactly why you are doing this:

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #12
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
I was under the impression that all wagons whether they be Volvo, Saab, BMW, MB, etc handled inherently better than the sedans or coupés on account of the extra chassis making the whole unit stiffer, and of course the weight back there evening the total mass of the car out. Might be that BMWs are engineered 50/50 in sedan form and the rest of the lineup is compromised, not sure. But I have read somewhere (believe it was an article on Autoblog) that wagons are inherently better handlers all the way around.

OP might I ask what condition the car is in overall, condition of the engine and transmission and what are you going to do with them now? I support your project but could never myself chop up what looks to be a nice car.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
rbalazsi

My Ride: 323iT, 330Cic
Not sure where you're getting your numbers. Everywhere I seem to read they all seem to indicate that the wagons around just a shade under 200lbs more than their sedan counterparts. So, they should be more in the neighborhood of 3400 - 3500lbs depending on manual vs. automatic transmission.

If at 3800lbs, might want to remove the dead hookers from the trunk.

Stowed-Hooker-Stickers

Last edited by rbalazsi; 04-22-2014 at 01:17 PM.
rbalazsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #14
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
I was under the impression that all wagons whether they be Volvo, Saab, BMW, MB, etc handled inherently better than the sedans or coupés on account of the extra chassis making the whole unit stiffer, and of course the weight back there evening the total mass of the car out. Might be that BMWs are engineered 50/50 in sedan form and the rest of the lineup is compromised, not sure. But I have read somewhere (believe it was an article on Autoblog) that wagons are inherently better handlers all the way around.
Weight and high center of gravity are the enemies of handling, and wagons have a greater percentage of weight up high in the form of sheet metal and glass.The Tourings still handle well, but sedans & coupes are the way to go here.

I agree that a more rear-biased weight distribution may help a vehicle rotate, say, under lift throttle, but in the case of the Touring its polar moment will be higher so it won't transition as quickly/nimbly.

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Manual gearbox, but of course!
Tasteful mods
128K miles and counting

Last edited by bee-em-dougle-u; 04-22-2014 at 01:49 PM.
bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #15
qthegenius

My Ride: E36 M3, E46 323i
GORDON!!!!!!!!!!

welcome to the site. I think I'm sub'ed to your other thread on ob.c as well. can't wait for you to get crackin'. Think you can do everything as quickly as Kale did his??
Old 04-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #16
QueenCity330

My Ride: 2002 330i
Sub'd. Sounds great, man. I'll be anxiously awaiting your posts.
QueenCity330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #17
HotDoggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalazsi View Post
Not sure where you're getting your numbers. Everywhere I seem to read they all seem to indicate that the wagons around just a shade under 200lbs more than their sedan counterparts. So, they should be more in the neighborhood of 3400 - 3500lbs depending on manual vs. automatic transmission.

If at 3800lbs, might want to remove the dead hookers from the trunk.

Stowed-Hooker-Stickers
It's possible there are hookers stashed in there somewhere - But as far as I know there was nothing hiding.. Full size spare, all the tools, heavy heavy heavy. *shrugs* - It will be interesting to see where this goes. Weight reduction isn't my main goal, and from a performance standpoint I think I'm heading the opposite way... I've already considered extra sound deadening, roof rack... other hilarious performance impeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee-em-dougle-u View Post
Weight and high center of gravity are the enemies of handling, and wagons have a greater percentage of weight up high in the form of sheet metal and glass.The Tourings still handle well, but sedans & coupes are the way to go here.

I agree that a more rear-biased weight distribution may help a vehicle rotate, say, under lift throttle, but in the case of the Touring its polar moment will be higher so it won't transition as quickly/nimbly.
I agree 100%. The main goal for this project is a crazy fun daily driver with the ability to go rag it at the local auto-x or track day if I feel frisky.. I'm speaking 20 years in the future, but I have to say the idea of picking my kid(s) up from school in a rumbling station wagon with a somewhat lopey idle just makes me wish my dad was a car-guy when I was a kid..
Old 04-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #18
Saintluk2

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
Get the rear subframe beefed up ! lol
Saintluk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #19
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
There's a guy floating around on one of these forums in an E39 wagon with an LS-derived 427 in it. You might want to think bigger if you want it to be the baddest.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #20
HotDoggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
There's a guy floating around on one of these forums in an E39 wagon with an LS-derived 427 in it. You might want to think bigger if you want it to be the baddest.
I saw that... It's also an iron block LQ9 if I'm not mistaken?

May not be the baddest... but it'll be great fun.. close enough?

So far his reliability is off the charts bad, considering he's already had to rebuild the motor once (not necessarily his fault), but still... I want this thing to run forever..

Depending on space under the hood though, boooooost may be an option down the road.. (Magnuson Heartbeat Supercharger anyone?)