E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 10:47 AM   #1
DarkJoker

My Ride: 01 330ci
At what point......

did you call it quits and move on from the E46 to your current car?

I'm battling this decision right now.After all the money and time I'e put into it, it makes it that much harder to decide to keep putting money into it.
I love the car, and I don't want to give up on it as it was my first BMW, and the first car I've actually paid off. So it holds that spot in me because of that.

Right now I'm at that tipping point to retire it and sit on it maybe till I have the money it needs to bring it up to par.
Body work (rust) and motor rebuild(high leak down between 4-5) are the costs in question.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old Today, 10:55 AM   #2
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Buy a decent working POS Honda Civic for $2K & drive it as your main A to B transportation as you fix your E46 330 over the fall months. Once your Bimmer is fixed, sell the Civic for roughly what you payed for it.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:01 PM   #3
DarkJoker

Ive thought about that many times, but I always come to the conclusion that the money spent on the daily driver could be used for the E46.
If it was simple rust, and some of it is. The debate would be as big.
And for a rebuild, I wouldnt just do a basic bone stock rebuild. I figure, if you are going to break into a motor, you get it done right the first time and not go back and forth with it.
The pictures are from the drivers side sill. The pass side is similar, but not as bad.
I got a rough quote on replacement and paint. To remove and replace each side is $750 + the part cost
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150730_101711379.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	608418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150730_10163353.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	608419   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150730_101744247.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	608420   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150730_101756509.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	608421  

Old Today, 12:15 PM   #4
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
That may be too far gone, especially looking at the second picture. It may be time. Just be thankful you had so many good years with it and move on. Like your sweet girlfriend from High School that turns bat sh!t crazy on you in College.

Get going on another E46! Look into the markets that don't go through salted roads. I could still find some reasonable condition ones around here when I was looking a few months ago, and even the beat up ones don't have rust!

cvx5832 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:41 PM   #5
jmb

My Ride: an old wagon
Can that much rust also affect the frame? Last week I accompanied a friend to Carmax so she could sell them her old E46, a 2000 323i with 201k miles. I was the ride back after they bought the car. The car had rust similar to the OP's pictures. They offered her $500. Part of the reasoning behind the low offer was that the frame had rusted through (perforated is the word they used) and that in a collision the car would crumble. I'm not an expert on metals or frames, but I found that hard to believe. If winters here were that bad, there wouldn't be any cars from the 80s or the 90s left on the road. OP, what is the condition of your frame?

In the end the car was given to her BMW mechanic for parts. Better than giving it away to Carmax IMO.
jmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:45 PM   #6
DarkJoker

Fine,as far as I can see. I think your friend was getting handled.
The rocker can be replaced,I was quoted about 12 hours with paint.
I have it in other areas as well.
Old Today, 01:47 PM   #7
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Well I totaled my first bimmer. I decided to get another one because I loved how it drives despite the repairs. The hard part was finding one that had a clean interior and that was well maintained. Oh and was a manual drive. If I couldn't find one I would have gone with a mini or VW. The Hondas I saw were priced higher than the bimmers.

Its easy to say that you will keep it for years. But how long is that?
Old Today, 02:02 PM   #8
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Do you know where your cylinder 4 & 5 problems are coming from ? Head or block ?

If it's in the cylinder head, your rebuild becomes Much easier.

Rob43

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Old Today, 02:29 PM   #9
DarkJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Do you know where your cylinder 4 & 5 problems are coming from ? Head or block ?

If it's in the cylinder head, your rebuild becomes Much easier.

Rob43
I suspect head. Compression is somewhere in the 180's across all cylinders if I remember correctly. Max differential was 2-3. Ex: cyl 1:182, cyl 2: 184
But, thats the take it all apart once part I mentioned further up. At 179k and rising, it makes sense to do it all at once.

Last edited by DarkJoker; Today at 02:30 PM.
DarkJoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:32 PM   #10
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
i won't , till i have decent cash for a z06

or maybe an e60 m5

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; Today at 03:31 PM.
wasp9166 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:46 PM   #11
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJoker View Post
I suspect head. Compression is somewhere in the 180's across all cylinders if I remember correctly. Max differential was 2-3. Ex: cyl 1:182, cyl 2: 184
But, thats the take it all apart once part I mentioned further up. At 179k and rising, it makes sense to do it all at once.
I Wouldn't touch that block with those numbers,....Never Ever Never. Based on that mileage & those PERFECT ~180-ish compression numbers, the bearings are what I call just right for making power. I would pay a known BMW motor builder good money to get the bearing clearances that you have right now.

Pull the head and get it freshened up, my list would be:

1) Surface the head with a few thousands (2 to 5) cut.
2) Replace valve guides & seals
3) Basic valve job
4) Buy the inexpensive Besian Vanos Kit & install it.

I seem to remember a company that does BMW head rebuilding for cheap, I'll try to find it for you.

Rob43

Quote:
Old Today, 02:53 PM   #12
DarkJoker

Quote:
I Wouldn't touch that block with those numbers,....Never Ever Never. Based on that mileage & those PERFECT ~180-ish compression numbers, the bearings are what I call just right for making power. I would pay a known BMW motor builder good money to get the bearing clearances that you have right now.

Pull the head and get it freshened up, my list would be:

1) Surface the head with a few thousands (2 to 5) cut.
2) Replace valve guides & seals
3) Basic valve job
4) Buy the inexpensive Besian Vanos Kit & install it.

I seem to remember a company that does BMW head rebuilding for cheap, I'll try to find it for you.

Rob43
I was going to go with Vac for the rebuilding services. With all new components. As well as some cams via schrick.
I have a Dr.vanos rebuilt unit already installed.
Old Today, 03:02 PM   #13
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
I was going to go with Vac for the rebuilding services. With all new components. As well as some cams via schrick.
I have a Dr.vanos rebuilt unit already installed.
That's the most expensive place you could probably send it to, I'd guess at least $3K for head work & cams from them.

I'm thinking roughly $1200 for head work & hybrid high performance cams. Trust me when I say that you'd be Extremely happy with the outcome.

Rob43

Quote:
Old Today, 03:09 PM   #14
DarkJoker

Quote:
That's the most expensive place you could probably send it to, I'd guess at least $3K for head work & cams from them.

I'm thinking roughly $1200 for head work & hybrid high performance cams. Trust me when I say that you'd be Extremely happy with the outcome.

Rob43
Schricks alone are roughly $1200

I'm aware. That's why I'm a little hesitant, because I have an idea of the power achievement after the work. Its not that I'm power hungry, It's just the cost/hp ratio. From seeing PEI's build and guessing the amount he put in, it seems a little . But when you want to stay N/A that's the price. The equalizer is the off and on use of nitrous as I've briefly talked to you about in the past.

I have a well known machine shop in my area, but they are more well known for their muscle car builds.

Last edited by DarkJoker; Today at 03:10 PM.
DarkJoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:20 PM   #15
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
That car isn't worth rebuilding the engine or fixing the rust. Sell it soon. Don't take out a loan for the next car either.

Personally, I'm seriously looking at 2006 330i with 6 speeds. They're NA 255hp so it's a good medium between the 335i Turbos (that scare me for longevity) and aa 328 with only 215 hp. No way am I going to a car with less power that weighs more than my 330.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:23 PM   #16
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Schricks alone are roughly $1200

I'm aware. That's why I'm a little hesitant, because I have an idea of the power achievement after the work. Its not that I'm power hungry, It's just the cost/hp ratio. From seeing PEI's build and guessing the amount he put in, it seems a little . But when you want to stay N/A that's the price. The equalizer is the off and on use of nitrous as I've briefly talked to you about in the past.

I have a well known machine shop in my area, but they are more well known for their muscle car builds.

As you know I've been doing this "BMW" thing for quite awhile now, so understand that I know things & have contacts that most on here don't have & or don't know about.

So when I say you can get an excellent head rebuild & hybrid high performance cams for roughly ~$1200, I mean just that.

Rob43

Quote:
Old Today, 03:25 PM   #17
DarkJoker

Yea, You are one of the guru's here.
Old Today, 03:28 PM   #18
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

When/if you decide, I will help you....

Rob43

Quote:
Old Today, 03:37 PM   #19
DarkJoker

Thanks.