E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM   #1
e46allen213

My Ride: Civic
I need advice on buying used 2002 e46 148k miles

Hey whats up guys, so I was bored and saw a small local auto shop in my neighborhood and saw an 2002 E46 on the lot. I called and got more details and plan to check it out today after work. Details about the car were clean title, 4 owners, 148k miles and priced at $8700. From kelly blue book it estimates price range between 5k-8k, 8k being excellent condition. I've been wanting to own a e46 for a while and figure at this price might be worth buying. I think I can drop the price down to 6k. Do you guys think it would be worth buying? I know some common problems I've researched about the e46 like cracked subframe, smg issues, vanos issues and bushings. Is there anything I should make sure to check before I buy? Advice would greatly be appreciated. I should be checking it out in about an hour from now. From the pictures looks like motor is stock, has fake bbs rims, front splitters, carbon fiber csl trunk, titanium exhaust tips and random M trim. Seats look a bit worn and looks like body might have scratches. Thats all I can see for now til I see it physically. Well if you guys can help me out that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
e46allen213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM   #2
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 Orient 330i/5
325? 330? M3? Sedan? Coupe? Vert? Touring?

$8700 is a fair price for a ZHP in excellent condition, a very well-maintained and low mileage "regular" 330, or a ratted-out M3.

Take pics and post 'em up.

Current: '02 330i/5 '06 XC90 '72 240Z
Past: '85 RX-7 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM   #3
mleindek

My Ride: 2003 325i
Make a PPM, ask the maintenance history (if any), run a Carfax on the VIN, check for all original and matching stickers in the usual body parts. I usually don't buy cars from dealerships unless it's an almost brand new car with warranty. I wouldn't pay 8 grand for an '02 with 148k miles, regardless if it's ZHP or not but it's your money and your desire for the car so good luck with it!

Last edited by mleindek; Yesterday at 07:04 PM.
mleindek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM   #4
ballpein

My Ride: 05 325i sedan
IMHO, The mileage is on the high side for that price. Unless it's been meticulously cared for, no car with 148k is "excellent condition". And 4 owners scares me. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it quadruples the chances that it's been abused at some point.

I found two types of owners who do that many aesthetic mods: real enthusiasts who love their cars and keep them; and knuckleheads who are too busy with window tint to check the oil.

Unless there's good service history that shows cooling system rebuild, probably valve cover gasket, osuspension rebuild, and some other items you mentioned, as well as regular maintenance with oe or better parts ... Run away. No real enthusiast owner would not have those records, no matter what the dealer tells you.

The value in a used car is low miles and good maintenance. This car does not have low miles so unless there's solid service history, it ain't worth much, no matter how many dollars worth of bling are attached to it.

Some auto shops sell great used cars; others are flipping rebuilds or cars they had seized for non-payment... Make sure you know which type this is.
ballpein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM   #5
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
At 148k after 14-years... that's low miles.

At 12,500 miles a year you'd be at 175,000.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 5000k Xenarc CBI 66240 HID | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM   #6
ballpein

My Ride: 05 325i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
At 148k after 14-years... that's low miles.

At 12,500 miles a year you'd be at 175,000.
meh, it's all relative. 10,000 miles / year is considered about average where I come from. Anyways, who cares?

148,000 is a lot of miles, no matter how old it is, which amounts to a lot of wear and tear. Pretty hard to justify a price that's almost 10% over top book value.
ballpein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:14 AM   #7
BaliDawg
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci 330Ci 530i 750
Read this first.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1007722
Old Today, 02:26 AM   #8
Hamsocne

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I think that is on the very high side for the mileage and if it is an M3 then I would be worried at such a low price. They have their own issues but I can't advise you on those. You would likely need a new suspension so all a ZHP would get you is a somewhat different interior and a slightly higher red line.

Suspension likely needs to be refreshed so it would handle just as well as a ZHP if you choose.

Add in more cash for routine maintenance and your purchase price is higher. But, if it has been well maintained... A PPI is a requirement. Agreed with the four owner comment. Have the subframe checked as well as all the usual suspects. Sounds like you have read about this.

On April 10, 2015 I ran my car. I do it for insurance reasons in case I have someone run into me. Can't hurt. It is a 2002 330Ci with the sport and premium packages. At that time I had 74,500 miles. I have all records since new and take care of the car. The original owner was an officer in the Navy and took it to the dealer whether it was warranty work or he paid.

NADAGuides listed the clean retail value at $8,725 after subtracting $325 because it is a manual. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I would do some tough negotiating and/or look for one with less miles. Just my two cents.
Old Today, 08:28 AM   #9
ChadTsunami

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP
Just note it can't be a ZHP since its a 2002, ZHPs for sedans were from 2003-2005. With that said, the price is a bit high for a regular 330i with those miles, I'd look elsewhere.
ChadTsunami is offline   Reply With Quote