E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 227 votes, 4.72 average.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #5721
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
I want to ditch my OEM iPod interface and put in a regular aux jack

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #5722
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
I want to ditch my OEM iPod interface and put in a regular aux jack
mmmmmmm...lemme know. I can help you DIY it

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #5723
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Of course. I'm tired of having to make a playlist only to play music from it. At least I can not just plug in my phone and play whatever.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #5724
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Took her shopping. Got pissed cause my new wipers are smudgy and couldn't see anything in the rain
Old 12-22-2011, 11:24 PM   #5725
gueste46
Banned User

The wheel hubs had started to rust and bind, making it difficult to remove the wheels without a lot of banging.

So I decided to remove the wheels, clean off the rust, apply anti seize and replace wheels. Also painted the brake calipers black while I had the wheels off.

This is what it looked like when I removed the wheels:

Not much more to say really. Simple and easy bit of maintenance. I always enjoy doing little things to the car.

I gave it a bit of work with a wire brush and the brake calipers a dab of paint and it looked like this:

This is the stuff I used. Damn expensive stuff $43.00 from Repco, but a little goes a long way:

Also, a little while ago:

I decided to paint the wheel wells on the car. So I went to an automotive paint supply shop and bought some Septone underbody and tyre paint. I removed the wheels (one at a time) and using some citrus degreaser (non solvent based so it does not damage any wiring) I gave the wheels wells a bit of a scrub. Rinsed and let dry. Then with a paint brush applied the underbody paint. I decided not to apply to the chassis (see pictures) but I did the brakes so the brakes are now a gloss black instead of dirty rusty colour. I also painted the tyres.

Well, you can see from the pictures the parts I did. I am really happy with the result.

gueste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #5726
Marinerd

My Ride: 09 328i
Gave her a bath. So fresh and so clean. Don't mind the weird looking wheels, its just the wheel shine drying.

Marinerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #5727
ShaTR

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
He recommended the tranny service before 75k miles or else I'd end up with the seemingly common problem of a dead transmission a week after the new fluid. My mechanic also said to consider a new water pump before 80k miles. I'm at 64k now.
Is yours auto or 5MT?

And what is the transmission service? I thought it was just changing fluids.
ShaTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #5728
ShwnD

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerd View Post
Gave her a bath. So fresh and so clean. Don't mind the weird looking wheels, its just the wheel shine drying.

Nice rims!
ShwnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #5729
mach.schnell

My Ride: 08/2000 330Cic x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaTR View Post
Is yours auto or 5MT?

And what is the transmission service? I thought it was just changing fluids.
Automatics have this problem. After high mileage, enough varnish has accumulated in the nooks and crannies that a fluid change with its detergent will (ok, may) break off large chunks that then get stuck in the narrow fluid tubes (channels) and kill the tranny.

Rule of thumb is to leave an automatic alone after 100k and save up for a new one.

Mach

Last edited by mach.schnell; 12-23-2011 at 07:39 PM.
mach.schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #5730
NYCsFinestE46

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by froilanr View Post
just came back from changing my thermostat!
any specific shop you went to or did you DIY? I need to change my thermostat but i'd rather get it professionally done, how much would that cost ?
Old 12-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #5731
E46Enthusiast20
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2008 135i M-Sport
Looked at her for like 10 seconds. Sat in it for a good 20 seconds and went back inside. Stayed in the garage today.

My hellrot sedan thread.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...382&highlight=
E46Enthusiast20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #5732
base1er

My Ride: 1999 328i
Replaced leaky PS hose, resonator delete, alignment...beast!
base1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #5733
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
bought oil change kit from ecs tuning.

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #5734
Sanchjer

My Ride: 323i e46 SOLD!
Thought about washing it but with the cold weather and me being sick, decided not too. I also noticed my trunk roundel is starting to bubble and I'm super pissed about that because the other day my hood roundel started to haze over and looked at it today and it looks SO bad, so I now have to buy two new ones. Can't decide weather to get the same black and white ones again then buying the protective clear cover for them or buying the OEM ones...open to opinions. Been thinking about changing up the look of her (clears instead of smoked, chrome kidneys instead or black) but haven't really decided yet.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:31 AM   #5735
kirk713

My Ride: 2004 E46 320 (2.2L)
Have done the following this month (320i):
1) Upgraded 330i brakes
2) 17 in BBS Rkii
3) Sebring Exhaust
4) Cosmic coilovers (from aussie)

Still waiting for my AFE intake and tuning...
and the prized M steering with FI paddle shifter.
kirk713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:03 AM   #5736
Bmw0224

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
upgraded halogens to oem xenons, thinking about getting angel eyes
Bmw0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:30 AM   #5737
ShaTR

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach.schnell View Post
Automatics have this problem. After high mileage, enough varnish has accumulated in the nooks and crannies that a fluid change with its detergent will (ok, may) break off large chunks that then get stuck in the narrow fluid tubes (channels) and kill the tranny.

Rule of thumb is to leave an automatic alone after 100k and save up for a new one.

Mach
Was planning on doing a tranny fluid swap on my 04 auto GM tranny. at 135k KM (80k miles) now. Reason being, it has the cold start first gear slipping problem, and always has from day 1 (my mum bought it 2003). Back then, dealer wouldn't acknowledge problem.

People report changing fluid stops the problem, but now u got me scared
ShaTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #5738
pwebber37

My Ride: '02 325i ZPP
I just installed Smart iPod Interface Adaptor - USA Spec and installed a new fan clutch.
pwebber37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #5739
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchjer View Post
Thought about washing it but with the cold weather and me being sick, decided not too. I also noticed my trunk roundel is starting to bubble and I'm super pissed about that because the other day my hood roundel started to haze over and looked at it today and it looks SO bad, so I now have to buy two new ones. Can't decide weather to get the same black and white ones again then buying the protective clear cover for them or buying the OEM ones...open to opinions. Been thinking about changing up the look of her (clears instead of smoked, chrome kidneys instead or black) but haven't really decided yet.
consider the fact you have silver. Id keep the smoked corners, black kidney grills, and get Carbon fiber roundels.

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #5740
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
Just finished installing the 545i shifter. Didn't expect to feel such a difference in throws. But damn, feels like I am barely moving it into gear. Had to re-check I was in gear a few times when I took her for a test drive. Very happy with the height decrease and the shorter throws. Not bad at all. Took maybe an hour. Mainly cause I couldnt get the damn cup the shifter sits in to come out. Ended up breaking it into pieces. Bought a spare anyway, so didnt care. Broke the old shifter in my frustration too. But all in all, very satisfied.

Also changed my brothers ignition switch. Maybe took 20 min max.

And yesterday changed my dads inner and outer tie rods on both sides of his mini van (not E46 related but oh well)

So busy first couple of days of my vacation . And loving it haha.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote