E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 167 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #11001
///MPR77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,852
My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Went to Bavarian Auto Parts and picked up a new VCG, this will be the second one in 3-5k miles

I am going to inspect my Valve Cover carefully, to make sure it isn't warped.

Mango had a warped VC, so I won't rule out the possibility, however I could have done something wrong the first time around.

As for now, I just have to wait a few hours to let it cool down, before I begin.
__________________

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #11002
Crespo5190
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: El Monte CA
Posts: 1,420
My Ride: 2001 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
Autocon was way too hot. I left after 30 minutes. Couldn't stand the heat.
__________________
-Tony
Crespo5190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #11003
chesmari
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 18
My Ride: 1999 323i
Had to replace my pulleys and belt.... The darn idler pulley disintegrated and shredded the belt. Good thing I wasn't on the interstate.

Ryan
chesmari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #11004
///MPR77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,852
My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesmari View Post
Had to replace my pulleys and belt.... The darn idler pulley disintegrated and shredded the belt.
Yeah, that sounds about right.

Quick and easy DIY
Hope it went well.
__________________

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #11005
Crespo5190
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: El Monte CA
Posts: 1,420
My Ride: 2001 325CI
Started cleaning the interior today. Finishing up tomorrow
__________________
-Tony
Crespo5190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #11006
///MPR77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,852
My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crespo5190 View Post
Started cleaning the interior today. Finishing up tomorrow
Damn how dirty was your interior to require two sessions?

__________________

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #11007
chesmari
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 18
My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post
Yeah, that sounds about right.

Quick and easy DIY
Hope it went well.
It did thanks. Had to settle with O'reilly and autozone parts. It'll do for now.

Ryan
chesmari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #11008
gavi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 168
My Ride: BMW 330Ci sport 6MT
Bought Mtech II front bumper and xenon fog lights for my 330 coupe from umnitza.com and brackets from bavarianmotorsports. Can't wait to have it painted and installed. I'll show the result
__________________
A BMW can't take you as far as a diploma.
Joyce Meyer
gavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #11009
Crespo5190
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: El Monte CA
Posts: 1,420
My Ride: 2001 325CI
[QUOTE=///MPR77;14591336]Damn how dirty was your interior to require two sessions?

[/QUOTE it got pretty dirty. I started late and I had to come to LA right now.
__________________
-Tony
Crespo5190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:30 AM   #11010
BB6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 150
My Ride: Honda Prelude
Try to view the shifter shaft by removing the shift knob...n it made me hit my mirror and cracked my windshield.....:@ so pissed at myself.....
Why did BMW design the shift knob mount like that? Argh...!
BB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:15 AM   #11011
M3JetBlack
OEM ///Member
 
M3JetBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 341
My Ride: 2002 M3 & 2004 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB6 View Post
Try to view the shifter shaft by removing the shift knob...n it made me hit my mirror and cracked my windshield.....:@ so pissed at myself.....
Why did BMW design the shift knob mount like that? Argh...!
Would you rather hit yourself in the face? Such as your eye or nose?
__________________
2002 JetBlack ///M3

6MT / ARC-8 18" / Black Kidney / Black Gills / ST Coilovers / TMS Camber Plates / Rogue El Diablo / VCSL / CSL Diffuser / AP Headers / OEM LED Taillights / Orion V2 / MotorWerks Tuned / Nexus 7 / V1 Stealth

2004 Silbergrau Metallic 330

ZSP / ZPP / ZCW / 6MT / Style 71 18" / OEM MTech II / M3 Trunk Lip / Matte Black Kidney Grills / Shadowline Trim / ST / AUX

M3JetBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:57 AM   #11012
///MPR77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,852
My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB6 View Post
Try to view the shifter shaft by removing the shift knob...n it made me hit my mirror and cracked my windshield.....:@ so pissed at myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA_E46Fan View Post
Would you rather hit yourself in the face? Such as your eye or nose?
If you answered: Yes, then you may be an e46 fanatic.

BTW just finished up the 2nd VCG.
It goes a lot quicker the second time around.
What I did differently this time was:

Tried a different Gasket (Victor Reinz)
Used different RTV (Ultra Black)
Neurotically cris-crossed snug, then cris-crossed torqued to 7ft.Lbs
Broke Nothing

Moving on to replacing back rotors.
__________________

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 07-22-2012 at 04:00 AM.
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #11013
Hollywood516
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,658
My Ride: 02 330i
installed my m3 rep folding mirrors. I have 12 pin and the reps are 6 pin.. got alot of work ahead of me to make these things work properly..
__________________
Hollywood516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:48 AM   #11014
M3JetBlack
OEM ///Member
 
M3JetBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 341
My Ride: 2002 M3 & 2004 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood516 View Post
installed my m3 rep folding mirrors. I have 12 pin and the reps are 6 pin.. got alot of work ahead of me to make these things work properly..
Were did you get them from? I have been looking for awhile!
__________________
2002 JetBlack ///M3

6MT / ARC-8 18" / Black Kidney / Black Gills / ST Coilovers / TMS Camber Plates / Rogue El Diablo / VCSL / CSL Diffuser / AP Headers / OEM LED Taillights / Orion V2 / MotorWerks Tuned / Nexus 7 / V1 Stealth

2004 Silbergrau Metallic 330

ZSP / ZPP / ZCW / 6MT / Style 71 18" / OEM MTech II / M3 Trunk Lip / Matte Black Kidney Grills / Shadowline Trim / ST / AUX

M3JetBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #11015
Hollywood516
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,658
My Ride: 02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA_E46Fan View Post
Were did you get them from? I have been looking for awhile!
got em on ebay from a seller europarts garage..
__________________
Hollywood516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #11016
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,772
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood516 View Post
installed my m3 rep folding mirrors. I have 12 pin and the reps are 6 pin.. got alot of work ahead of me to make these things work properly..
Uh, oh...hope you have a plan for doing this. Good luck!
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #11017
Miko_10
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,215
My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
Drove it like I stole it.
__________________
Miko_10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #11018
OfficinePanerai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 59
My Ride: M3
Recently hit 182k so decided that a major overhaul was needed.
Was collecting parts for the past 6 months to get all this done at once.

Found lots of things that were wrong with it that made it ride like ****...
evidently the previous owner knew dick about cars but thankfully i bought it as a project anyways
so was ready for all these repairs

among other things, most notable were
3 blown shocks/struts
leaking diff cover + cracked bushing
various worn bushings throughout rear suspension
no cracks but since already had HPF kit decided to install it anyways

after all this was addressed and done, the car rides like a dream

HPF subframe reinforcement kit
Differential Cover w/ bushings + new diff fluid
Subframe bushings
Subframe bolts + nuts
Trailing Arm bushings
Upper Control Arm Bushings
Lower Control Arm Bushings
Rear Wheel Bearings
ECS Upper Shock mounting kit
RTABs
RTAB urethane spacers
shocks
struts
springs
brake disks
brake pads
Vanos filter
Vanos sealing plate
Oil change
...im sure im forgetting some things



dads doing the actual welding, im not brave or knowledgeable enough to weld on my car



Topaz car so we decided to stick with overall "blue" theme



good thing i anticipated this and had a new diff cover ready to go



this was a fun father/son project however i would not recommend it to some less experienced DIY people
__________________
[CENTER]

Last edited by OfficinePanerai; 07-22-2012 at 02:39 PM.
OfficinePanerai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #11019
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
 
tock172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,884
My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficinePanerai View Post
Recently hit 182k so decided that a major overhaul was needed.
Was collecting parts for the past 6 months to get all this done at once.

Found lots of things that were wrong with it that made it ride like ****...
evidently the previous owner knew dick about cars but thankfully i bought it as a project anyways
so was ready for all these repairs

among other things, most notable were
3 blown shocks/struts
leaking diff cover + cracked bushing
various worn bushings throughout rear suspension
no cracks but since already had HPF kit decided to install it anyways

after all this was addressed and done, the car rides like a dream

HPF subframe reinforcement kit
Differential Cover w/ bushings + new diff fluid
Subframe bushings
Subframe bolts + nuts
Trailing Arm bushings
Upper Control Arm Bushings
Lower Control Arm Bushings
Rear Wheel Bearings
ECS Upper Shock mounting kit
RTABs
RTAB urethane spacers
shocks
struts
springs
brake disks
brake pads
Vanos filter
Vanos sealing plate
Oil change
...im sure im forgetting some things



dads doing the actual welding, im not brave or knowledgeable enough to weld on my car



Topaz car so we decided to stick with overall "blue" theme



good thing i anticipated this and had a new diff cover ready to go



this was a fun father/son project however i would not recommend it to some less experienced DIY people
Wow. That is a ton of work. That your car was at one hell of an angle. Cool you did the work in a hangar. I'm a pilot myself!
__________________


1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #11020
OfficinePanerai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 59
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Wow. That is a ton of work. That your car was at one hell of an angle. Cool you did the work in a hangar. I'm a pilot myself!
yeah, took us 7 days, spending every spare minute under the car. thankfully lots of space in the hangar cause my dads a pilot. since we dont have a lift had to get the rear pretty high to semi-comfortably do the welding.
__________________
[CENTER]
OfficinePanerai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use