E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 4.12 average.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #11961
bkal

My Ride: e46 m3
I evolved it
bkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #11962
Blueandwhite85

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemwe_03i View Post
Nice, i want to do this so bad. What type of cf did u use the fabrick or the tape type idk. How do u get it smooth around the bends?
3M Dinoc CF vinyl wrap. You can get it pretty much anywhere (car related, even eBay). I went through ECS because those guys are frackin' awesome. Other than that, patience, my girlfriend's hair dryer and a lot of precision cutting to get it to lay smooth. DEFINTELY start with the small pieces so you can work up some confidence before you wrap the shift trim and armrests. Overall, it's simple. Hardest part is getting the armrest trim off, but once you get a grasp on that, it isn't even that hard.
Blueandwhite85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #11963
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
About to redo my vcg with an OE gasket this time...last one leaking from rt. rear corner as so many do. Hopefully it's only a gasket issue--read the Reinz seems to have had issues in days past...probably in the days when I got mine from it!
After re- doing VCG 3 times last week, I ordered a new one yesterday. It was victor reinz that i replaced around 5 months ago. It suddenly developed a leak at the front, after removing and installing 3 tomes last week, i was able to stop the leak for a week. Now its leaking again in the back side.
I ordered elinger this time. If this leaks as well then I will just get a new VC.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #11964
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
After re- doing VCG 3 times last week, I ordered a new one yesterday. It was victor reinz that i replaced around 5 months ago. It suddenly developed a leak at the front, after removing and installing 3 tomes last week, i was able to stop the leak for a week. Now its leaking again in the back side.
I ordered elinger this time. If this leaks as well then I will just get a new VC.
So I finished a little bit ago, and as someone wrote here recently, the OE seems more rubbery than the reinz. We'll see!

I checked mine thoroughly for cracks and didn't see any. Also heard that reinz had changed suppliers of rubber...and mine coming out did see stiffer than I'd have expected after a relatively short time...under a year.

Might be many of us have suffered from this bad batch of rubber.

Anyway, I remember my first time and it was nerve wracking, as it was the most significant diy I'd done at that point...iirc. This time a relative breeze. Won't say I enjoy it...but without break time...figure maybe 1.5 hours or so. Waiting for rtv to harden a bit before starting it...just coz!

Fingers crossed!

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #11965
Crestwood1001

My Ride: 2001 325xi
I used OEM the second time and it felt like much better rubber, the non OEM one I used the first time was rock hard after a month
Crestwood1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #11966
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Drove her in the rain to pick up a scanner
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #11967
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
So I finished a little bit ago, and as someone wrote here recently, the OE seems more rubbery than the reinz. We'll see!

I checked mine thoroughly for cracks and didn't see any. Also heard that reinz had changed suppliers of rubber...and mine coming out did see stiffer than I'd have expected after a relatively short time...under a year.

Anyway, I remember my first time and it was nerve wracking, as it was the most significant diy I'd done at that point...iirc. This time a relative breeze. Won't say I enjoy it...but without break time...figure maybe 1.5 hours or so. Waiting for rtv to harden a bit before starting it...just coz!

Fingers crossed!
Just came back re-tigthening the bolt where I was leaking again.
Have to keep it from leaking at least till the new elring gasket arrives.
1.5 hours it is for me too. May be even faster as I have done 3 times already in last week. I guess I can remove the VC and all the screws blindfolded now.

I have broken the studs for VC before because of over torquing, so be careful. And those pesky little suckers are not cheap at the dealership. Even online, the cap nut is $5 and the stud is $1. Dealers: cap nut $9, and the stud $4.

Last time I did the VCG, I started the car after full 24 hours. Wanted to make sure it doesnt leak because of RTV not reaching the cure time. And then I get a leak from the opposite side.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #11968
tamb

My Ride: 323i se
trying too get it too run bye 2000rpm lol
Old 09-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #11969
Fajitas

My Ride: 04 E46
ATF reservoir and return hose, Heater control valve, Mtech II front bumper, rear brake pads, replaced hazard light and door lock combo switch, cabin air filter.
Fajitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #11970
zwei e46

My Ride: '99 323i & '05 325xi
Replaced the fsu on the 323 today. I watched Solidjakes vid and checked-out a few other DIY threads. Job was MUCH easier than I anticipated. The only thing I changed up was removing the plastic air duct. Read where someone did that and it helped alot with visibility. My original fsu was screwed in.

Thanks go to this forum and Solidjake for once again making me not afraid to tackle things with our cars and saving us money!
zwei e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #11971
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Nice man! How's the airflow now?
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #11972
zwei e46

My Ride: '99 323i & '05 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Nice man! How's the airflow now?
Strong and steady! Thanks again.
zwei e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #11973
deadwood83

My Ride: has an iron lung
Send a message via MSN to deadwood83
Removed the entire center console
Installed kill switch for meth and separate switch for V1
Ran the wires for the ash tray concealed display
Began stripping the center console in preparation for a refinish
Ran AEM meth controller, boost line, and wires to the trunk
Old 09-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #11974
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Just came back re-tigthening the bolt where I was leaking again.
Have to keep it from leaking at least till the new elring gasket arrives.
1.5 hours it is for me too. May be even faster as I have done 3 times already in last week. I guess I can remove the VC and all the screws blindfolded now.

I have broken the studs for VC before because of over torquing, so be careful. And those pesky little suckers are not cheap at the dealership. Even online, the cap nut is $5 and the stud is $1. Dealers: cap nut $9, and the stud $4.

Last time I did the VCG, I started the car after full 24 hours. Wanted to make sure it doesnt leak because of RTV not reaching the cure time. And then I get a leak from the opposite side.
We'll see...I used oe, ultra black, and didn't follow the directions quite right! Oops. G-d damn it!

It says apply rtv, tighten down immediately, then wait an hour to tighten it down another 1/4 turn. Well, I just went down in stages all around and we'll see.

I'd read about the screws many times...since I know the torque is nothing, I basically just stopped at the stop and went tight. All unbroken...but I still have a spare screw from years ago just in case! Thanks for the warning though! This time I also ignored the instructions to just do the half moons at the corners and did the entire half moon.

I'll confess if it leaks again!

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #11975
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:

Fingers crossed!
My Reinz VCG is leak free so far. When you pointed out a few months ago that my tightening pattern was incorrect, I pulled it off again, then reseated, and tightened it from the center studs to the outer ones, and everything has been good. (Torqued to 6ft/lbs)
Thanks BTW
I did notice the Reinz gasket has some extraneous "flappage"(not flush with the VC) just parallel to the SAP, but it certainly hasn't leaked yet.

Today:
I pulled out one of my EE projectors, baked it at 200F so that I could remove the clear cover to wipe what I thought was some condensation residue, but when I pulled it apart, and went to wipe it; it was this ultra fine grey dust, which wiped right off.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #11976
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Back when I did my VCG almost 15,000 miles ago, I used a genuine BMW gasket and ultra black RTV (IIRC). I didn't wait long at all before starting the car afterwords and since then, I have not had a single issue.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #11977
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
I think i need to give it a wash and brush (I brush my interior carpeting instead of vacuuming it) saves electricity, lets me exercise, and saves money... I think I'll do that now.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #11978
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
And +1 on Genuine BMW valve cover gaskets. it's what I use along with a brand new Genuine valve cover

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #11979
dude14

My Ride: '04 330CI ZHP
Replaced the fuel pump and it took less than an hour. Cleaned the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner. Then gave it very thorough bath. Looks good and runs better!
dude14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #11980
ImSoFreaknWhite

My Ride: '06 M3 SMG VERT
Send a message via ICQ to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via AIM to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Yahoo to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Skype™ to ImSoFreaknWhite
drive up to LA to pick up a VIS CSL trunk for my vert

My Build Thread

l Status Gruppe One-Piece Lip l Anodized CCW Classics w/ Polished Lips l Black Grills/Gills & Emblems l Carbon Fiber Roundels
Status Rear Section l K&N 57 Series CA Intake l OEM JB Hardtop l TM Drilled/Slotted Rotors l D2 Coilovers w/Camber Plates l VIS CSL VERT Trunk
ImSoFreaknWhite is offline   Reply With Quote