E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 279 votes, 4.77 average.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #13221
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 9,465
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer Creamer View Post
All i do is wash car, wax twice a year( which is only 6 months in saskatchewan)with meguires in between use (forgot brand name) spray on wax. F&$in awesome stuff. Car looks great. I like to have it look good but how much time does it take to clay, polish, then wax. And have basically same look unless your eyeball is touching car? ( not against it just asking)

A wash/cut/polish/wax job is an all day thing for sure. It will be noticable from a distance. If you do it right it's like a mirror. Look at your paint now and I am sure there are swirl marks. You don't do this often. It's best to do this once, then keep a good sealant and wax over the good paint plus treating it well. That way you don't have to do this but maybe a handful of times while you own the car.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #13222
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,226
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer Creamer View Post
All i do is wash car, wax twice a year( which is only 6 months in saskatchewan)with meguires in between use (forgot brand name) spray on wax. F&$in awesome stuff. Car looks great. I like to have it look good but how much time does it take to clay, polish, then wax. And have basically same look unless your eyeball is touching car? ( not against it just asking)
Clay makes a big difference. You think your car looks clean to the touch but when you clay it after a year, the clay bar ends up a different color (even if your paint is smooth to the touch) truth is so much stuff just sticks to the surface not visible to the naked eye. a compromised finish is one that doesn't reflect well and won't be as smooth. it's worth it!
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #13223
RKiepper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Linn, Missouri
Posts: 1,579
My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
Got this in, looking good for an automatic. Don't have to worry about those little shutter things anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1351022757.097431.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	475189  
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #13224
Beamer Creamer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 270
My Ride: 2005 bmw m3
Thanks guys. Ya i got the microswirls everywhere. Ive watched several vids but way to scared to use an orbital on my paint. What is cut? And how do you polish? Apply the same as wax? Im only interested in hand work( no machines) thanx
Beamer Creamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #13225
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,226
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer Creamer View Post
Thanks guys. Ya i got the microswirls everywhere. Ive watched several vids but way to scared to use an orbital on my paint. What is cut? And how do you polish? Apply the same as wax? Im only interested in hand work( no machines) thanx
Cut means to polish. You're basically removing an extremely fine layer of clear coat to the level of the scratch until it is gone. Deeper the swirls/scratches, the harder/more cutting you will need to do. Most swirls can be removed by hand but it's too much work. If you invest in a Meguiars dual action polisher, ($100) you can safely "cut" your paint using polish (not wax). Wax protects, polish removes scratches (cuts). And no matter how foolish you are with a dual action polisher, you'll never damage your paint. A rotary is a different story (but is powerful and capable in the right hands)

I've wetsanded a jet black E39 before to a mirror finish using a rotary. scary but with enough common sense and patience, good results can be achieved.

go read up on meguiars online forums.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #13226
Pete_repete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 99
My Ride: 98 Civic, 02 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Cut means to polish. You're basically removing an extremely fine layer of clear coat to the level of the scratch until it is gone. Deeper the swirls/scratches, the harder/more cutting you will need to do. Most swirls can be removed by hand but it's too much work. If you invest in a Meguiars dual action polisher, ($100) you can safely "cut" your paint using polish (not wax). Wax protects, polish removes scratches (cuts). And no matter how foolish you are with a dual action polisher, you'll never damage your paint. A rotary is a different story (but is powerful and capable in the right hands)

I've wetsanded a jet black E39 before to a mirror finish using a rotary. scary but with enough common sense and patience, good results can be achieved.

go read up on meguiars online forums.
Yes, using a rotary can do more damage than good if not used properly. I work at a body shop and I can finally say I am a good buffer now ask me last year and I was dreading buffing. However it just takes a lot of practice and a patient boss(kind of). Now I am the go to guy if my boss needs something buffed. Plus we use extra clear so we can cut all the imperfections out when we wet sand and buff.
Pete_repete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #13227
Kracingti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mexico
Posts: 81
My Ride: E46 320i Touring 02
Take a journey through the heights:







A modiffied spring got broken (I will never do it again)... so I got a Hotchkis set form EUG!, and this is it:





__________________
http://www.dadooda.com/uploads/images/26444.jpg
Kracingti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #13228
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,226
My Ride: M54B30
^Nice mexican bimmer. does it get scary there with all the cartel stuff or do you live in a nice part? love seeing E46s in other parts of the world. very cool!

why was it on a tow truck??
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #13229
Beamer Creamer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 270
My Ride: 2005 bmw m3
[QUOTE=Kracingti;14840394]Take a journey through the heights:



Tint that baby out homes. Pretty sick wagon
Beamer Creamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #13230
Kracingti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mexico
Posts: 81
My Ride: E46 320i Touring 02
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
^Nice mexican bimmer. does it get scary there with all the cartel stuff or do you live in a nice part? love seeing E46s in other parts of the world. very cool!

why was it on a tow truck??

Haha... no man... the cartel stuff is not a real matter here... since I'm the Cartel... haha just kidding...!!!
No that's more a matter of a movie, but you can come and go anywhere with no issues... belive..!!

And I got a broken spring since it was heated to being low

But now I got the Hotchkis on..!!
__________________
http://www.dadooda.com/uploads/images/26444.jpg
Kracingti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #13231
Kracingti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mexico
Posts: 81
My Ride: E46 320i Touring 02
[QUOTE=Beamer Creamer;14840438]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracingti View Post
Take a journey through the heights:



Tint that baby out homes. Pretty sick wagon
Yes...!! That's in my To Do list..!!
__________________
http://www.dadooda.com/uploads/images/26444.jpg
Kracingti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #13232
Beamer Creamer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 270
My Ride: 2005 bmw m3
I would like to see two layers of 5% unless you can buy less. I did 5% on mine and could be abit darker

Last edited by Beamer Creamer; 10-23-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Beamer Creamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #13233
Kracingti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mexico
Posts: 81
My Ride: E46 320i Touring 02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer Creamer View Post
I would like to see two layers of 5% unless you can buy less. I did 5% on mine and could be abit darker
Have you seen the baby blue tint???...

I'm curious of that one:



__________________
http://www.dadooda.com/uploads/images/26444.jpg
Kracingti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #13234
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,226
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracingti View Post
Haha... no man... the cartel stuff is not a real matter here... since I'm the Cartel... haha just kidding...!!!
No that's more a matter of a movie, but you can come and go anywhere with no issues... belive..!!

And I got a broken spring since it was heated to being low

But now I got the Hotchkis on..!!
lol nice. man don't tint it!
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #13235
Beamer Creamer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 270
My Ride: 2005 bmw m3
Never seen but im just not a fan of anythin but black and after relooking at your ride color, i think baby blue would be a seriously bad contrast. But its up to what you like i guess Sorry

Last edited by Beamer Creamer; 10-23-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Beamer Creamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #13236
Kracingti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mexico
Posts: 81
My Ride: E46 320i Touring 02
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
lol nice. man don't tint it!


Tint is in my head... not sure about to put it into the car, neither if that blue or a smoke tint... nor if put in the rears only or also in the driver/passenger sides...

Just guessing...

I like the clear/clean looking as it is now... we will see...



__________________
http://www.dadooda.com/uploads/images/26444.jpg
Kracingti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #13237
Imola.ZHP
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mud Island, TN
Posts: 1,239
My Ride: Imola ZHP
I fish-bowl'd for about a year between pulling original (that had turned purple) tint and re-tinting, I don't regret it at all...

I can't wait for my next trip to Mexico, its been too long!

Oh, and that Jetta GLI you posted, very nice... I'm not sure what the point of blue tint is, seems to miss the mark, or at least for me. I've seen it on some Benz's, but again, didn't look right to me...
__________________

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus

Last edited by Imola.ZHP; 10-23-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Imola.ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #13238
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 9,465
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
I fish-bowl'd for about a year between pulling original (that had turned purple) tint and re-tinting, I don't regret it at all...

I can't wait for my next trip to Mexico, its been too long!

Oh, and that Jetta GLI you posted, very nice... I'm not sure what the point of blue tint is, seems to miss the mark, or at least for me. I've seen it on some Benz's, but again, didn't look right to me...
I like it on that silver M3. It's fairly subtle.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #13239
I_LOVE_MY_330Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Allen, Texas
Posts: 161
My Ride: Black e46 330ci
I parked it outside the sheriffs house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1351036274.527529.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	475226  
I_LOVE_MY_330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #13240
KKB-BMW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Columbus
Posts: 44
My Ride: 2004 330ci six speed
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousdrew View Post
I know i have seen a thread like this before but couldnt find it.......

Today I

Debadge the trunk lid (roundel still intact)
Added black grills
Yellow fogs
Clear front reflectors (PITA!!!)
6K D2S bulbs

Waxed the inside of my fuel door
KKB-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use