E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 181 votes, 4.70 average.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #13341
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
I read somewhere that when the light comes on 1mm of pad is what's left dont know the % and depending on traffic conditions bumper to bumper stopping and going it can vary on miles
Old 10-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #13342
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by limpiabota809 View Post
I read somewhere that when the light comes on 1mm of pad is what's left dont know the % and depending on traffic conditions bumper to bumper stopping and going it can vary on miles
BMW estimates 200 miles once the light comes on, but of course it depends on how you're driving.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #13343
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
Really need to get my thermostat changed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1351316140.176073.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	475681  
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #13344
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
Post below phone is doubling down

Last edited by hizhinezz; 10-27-2012 at 02:20 AM.
hizhinezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #13345
hizhinezz
Outlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
first off aside from the fact that you installed the wrong parts on your car, you installed used parts on your car. particularly stock M3 shocks/struts. is this correct?
Omfg yes used parts like my used exhaust and used airbox and used tires and all the other great used parts I've installed and enjoyed thoroughly with no ill affects whatsoever.

So obviously I misspoke and there is no e46 m3 sedan honestly I'd never researched and was unawares given later models. So yes I've got 20k mile m3 suspension(4 springs and shocks/struts with all related hw and new/used turner sways/links) in my car vs 80k factory suspension and boy does it seem to work great and it swapped right on like a glove.

I love that this outrages you and will thus enjoy it all that much further you uptight dickwad. People like you with limited vision make living a life of open opportunities that much better, go hide somewhere safe and ill just go around you.

Last edited by hizhinezz; 10-27-2012 at 02:22 AM.
hizhinezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #13346
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizhinezz View Post
Omfg yes used parts like my used exhaust and used airbox and used tires and all the other great used parts I've installed and enjoyed thoroughly with no ill affects whatsoever.

So obviously I misspoke and there is no e46 m3 sedan honestly I'd never researched and was unawares given later models. So yes I've got 20k mile m3 suspension(4 springs and shocks/struts with all related hw and new/used turner sways/links) in my car vs 80k factory suspension and boy does it seem to work great and it swapped right on like a glove.

I love that this outrages you and will thus enjoy it all that much further you uptight dickwad. People like you with limited vision make living a life of open opportunities that much better, go hide somewhere safe and ill just go around you.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #13347
Beamer Creamer

My Ride: 2005 bmw m3
Quote:

I love the attitude. Thanks for the morning laugh.
Beamer Creamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #13348
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer Creamer View Post
Do the hybrids use friction surfaces or just electrical field to stop? I wont even start in that,im for sure wrong one way or another. Electrobraking has been used since 20th century, i just thought bit diff about it.Anywayz the abs was designed for people who cant drive and hold brakes to floor and turn steering wheel. Cant even be a debate about it, they dont stop you as fast as unassisted braking. The theory is there but ive never driven 1 vehicle that has a functioning system on ice. They all suck. Ive had to feather on the handbrake to stop couple of times. It was supposed to give you steering if you lock em all up. Many times the abs will delay way to long between braking again or it applies to much force immediately and results in kicking out to quick its ok im done. Good posts from you though
They use a mix of both. For light braking they can use just the electric motor, but for real braking they use conventional brakes.

ABS was designed to prevent locking the brakes under a panic stop. For 99% of people they are going to stop faster than regular brakes that will lock up. I don't know what cars you've driven, but every one I have tested ABS on has worked flawlessly. My Jeep's ABS worked perfectly on mud and snow.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #13349
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:

lol have you read the fit ///m parts on non-m thread? its common knowledge that the m3 suspension parts arent meant for non-ms. nothing is gained from it anyway.

those struts/shocks you installed are OE (great when new) but seriously degraded (if not completely dead) when used. Do you really think the seller was truthful when he said it has 20k miles on it? oldest trick in the book when selling used suspension components

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #13350
Beamer Creamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
They use a mix of both. For light braking they can use just the electric motor, but for real braking they use conventional brakes.

ABS was designed to prevent locking the brakes under a panic stop. For 99% of people they are going to stop faster than regular brakes that will lock up. I don't know what cars you've driven, but every one I have tested ABS on has worked flawlessly. My Jeep's ABS worked perfectly on mud and snow.
Ok. I worked at chrysler dodge for bout a year. Maybe we have different ice in canada.lol. I do find that 4x4 vehicles have more effective brakes cause there is equal drag from drivetrain on all wheels instead of locking front up as soon as brakes are touched( with 4x4 activated). I have had alot of hemis that i felt like sticking a foot on the ground to stop and i owed a 323ci that one time made abs noise for about 300 yards and went off end of road before i got it stopped. Good thing it was ramped. I was only going about 25 mph when started braking. Sure driver error too but i always test every vehicle skid control in parking lots to know how they will react. Ive found sometimes you can no doubt stop faster using handbrake with abs for fronts. Also the vehicles without abs working sure seem alot better for me anyway. You havent noticed the change in pulse rate when you step on brake harder? Abs works on same principle as traction control and ide say i can pickup speed faster without it, so should be same for stopping( on ice) on dry pavement i think the abs system is fast enough to keep up but ice is noticeable to me how much lag there is in activation( why it kicks out so quick, cause it gives to much pressure when it kicks in)

Last edited by Beamer Creamer; 10-27-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #13351
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer Creamer View Post
Ok. I worked at chrysler dodge for bout a year. Maybe we have different ice in canada.lol. I do find that 4x4 vehicles have more effective brakes cause there is equal drag from drivetrain on all wheels instead of locking front up as soon as brakes are touched( with 4x4 activated). I have had alot of hemis that i felt like sticking a foot on the ground to stop and i owed a 323ci that one time made abs noise for about 300 yards and went off end of road before i got it stopped. Good thing it was ramped. I was only going about 25 mph when started braking. Sure driver error too but i always test every vehicle skid control in parking lots to know how they will react. Ive found sometimes you can no doubt stop faster using handbrake with abs for fronts. Also the vehicles without abs working sure seem alot better for me anyway. You havent noticed the change in pulse rate when you step on brake harder? Abs works on same principle as traction control and ide say i can pickup speed faster without it, so should be same for stopping( on ice) on dry pavement i think the abs system is fast enough to keep up but ice is noticeable to me how much lag there is in activation( why it kicks out so quick, cause it gives to much pressure when it kicks in)
I said my Jeep worked fine on snow not ice. Nothing works on ice, ABS or not. You slid off the road b/c of the ice not your ABS. ABS is similar to TCS in that it controls wheel slip, but it does it in a different manner. ABS controls brake force and TCS controls engine torque.

Also, thats a parking brake, not a handbrake.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #13352
Beamer Creamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I said my Jeep worked fine on snow not ice. Nothing works on ice, ABS or not. You slid off the road b/c of the ice not your ABS. ABS is similar to TCS in that it controls wheel slip, but it does it in a different manner. ABS controls brake force and TCS controls engine torque.

Also, thats a parking brake, not a handbrake.
Ok. So abs is made for when you have grip.ahhh i see now.i didnt mean ice wasnt the cause of brakes not working properly, just that abs was big contributer to overshooting corner. Also meant similar in that they both retard the systems.just cause theory is there doesnt mean system automatically works. Look at trucks with 1 sensor on diff for both back tires and 1 for the front wheels. How is that good? And the parking brake also has gone through names such as the e brake( emergency brake) along with handbrake because its used with your hand i guess they should change footpedal name to normal braking applicator
Old 10-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #13353
WDE46

I don't even know what you're trying to say. ABS reacts hundred of times faster than any human can.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #13354
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
Getting muffler delete done now
Old 10-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #13355
Pete_repete

My Ride: 98 Civic, 02 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by limpiabota809 View Post
Getting muffler delete done now
Sound clip when your done please
Pete_repete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #13356
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_repete View Post
Sound clip when your done please
There's so many sound clips, search.

Oem bmw all weather mats, active shift knob and license plate cover thingy. Yay!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Bimmer App

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #13357
hizhinezz
Outlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
lol have you read the fit ///m parts on non-m thread? its common knowledge that the m3 suspension parts arent meant for non-ms. nothing is gained from it anyway.

those struts/shocks you installed are OE (great when new) but seriously degraded (if not completely dead) when used. Do you really think the seller was truthful when he said it has 20k miles on it? oldest trick in the book when selling used suspension components
I know the rebound was significantly stiffer than that of the 85k+ oem suspension in mine and that along with new sways it resulted in a much better ride... what's the downside? Parts were noticeably not that used, especially compared to mine.

For a few hundred bucks I feel like I got a much firmer suspension that will last me until I can afford Bilsteins. Now you tell me how it's going to blow up and destroy my car...

And just because you can say the shop lied doesn't mean it did, I mean, I paid less than $200 for all the pieces, what do they really gain from that if they are f'g me? Lunch money? There are 50k, 100k race cars in their shop as we speak, wouldn't it be easier to pad some work for one of those customers? You must be a Republican.

Go study your manuals, I'll be enjoying my new suspenders.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #13358
zabalzae

My Ride: 01 330ci

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1351383520310.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	475751
Painted rims

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App
zabalzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #13359
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
I wanna polish the lip on my hartge rims. But I'm being lazy.

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #13360
hizhinezz
Outlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideracer69 View Post
I wanna polish the lip on my hartge rims. But I'm being lazy.

Mango inspired me (see sig) to put off the cooling system refresh another week or two and buy off on some CKs that have been haunting me on CL for a little while.. Fn thrilled:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1351392188.660391.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	475762