E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 4.12 average.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #15001
trentcdrums

My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Washed my car, tuned my new cb antenna and took some pics

Do you want to talk to truckers? Lol

trentcdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #15002
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Yes and my friend has a cb as well. I do a lot of out of state trips.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #15003
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
Quote:

Clean, have to head out to queens and meet up with you to see it in person
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #15004
4banger

My Ride: 00 328i
new plugs and air filter, well saturday not today...
4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #15005
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Thanks dude
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #15006
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I think that it now actually has benefits (other than just emissions). Apparently EGR reduces temperatures in the combustion chamber. That is it's primary function as NOx forms at higher temperatures. This improves thermal efficiency by reducing heat loss through the walls. It also means the engine's components experience less wear.
I'm not an engineer or physicist, but from the little bit of thermodynamics that I learned, I was under the impression that a hotter running engine is generally more efficient. Of course wear is a very big reason to limit temperatures. And I think NOx formation is the other big one (particularly in the US).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
1. This would allow the throttle body to be open wider for any given throttle position without requiring the extra fuel. That increases volumetric efficiency. Very smart.
How does that improve volumetric efficiency? If anything it reduces VE since it is essentially equivalent to opening the throttle a little bit less than you otherwise would.

However since there apparently isn't' much EGR at full load, I guess I don't really care.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #15007
ImolaSix

My Ride: '02 330Ci M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I'm not an engineer or physicist, but from the little bit of thermodynamics that I learned, I was under the impression that a hotter running engine is generally more efficient. Of course wear is a very big reason to limit temperatures. And I think NOx formation is the other big one (particularly in the US).
This is correct. Engines are designed to operate in a happy medium where it's hot enough to meet efficiency standards but not so hot that it creates excess NOx emissions.

Also, since we're on the topic of NOx emissions, modern DI ultra lean burn engines create much more NOx than regular port injection engines. They have catalytic converters that can deal with this, the problem is the fuel in North America has much higher Sulfer content than Europe or Japan which damages the catalyst. Some manufacturers get around this by allowing more EGR (up to 25%) to reduce NOx. Even with high levels of exhaust gas in the cylinder they are still able to achieve complete combustion due to the design of the piston and the injector spray pattern.

Last edited by ImolaSix; 01-14-2013 at 07:55 PM.
ImolaSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #15008
trentcdrums

Quote:
Yes and my friend has a cb as well. I do a lot of out of state trips.
This is awesome, I am surprised that a guy like you would put something on a car. My father has one on his big old truck.lol. I respect that, and I like the look. How was installation? Did you DIY?

Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #15009
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

No diy is needed to be honest. I have a trunk lip NMO mount. Just mount it to the trunk and run the wires to the cabin to the cb radio.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #15010
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
Replaced old control arms and bushings with Meyle HD
Old 01-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #15011
trentcdrums

Quote:
No diy is needed to be honest. I have a trunk lip NMO mount. Just mount it to the trunk and run the wires to the cabin to the cb radio.
Did you have to drill through the trunk so it stays in one spot?

Old 01-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #15012
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
Quote:

Clean car! Love the headlights. And cb antenna looks fresh too.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #15013
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcdrums View Post
Did you have to drill through the trunk so it stays in one spot?
Nope, the mount holds onto the lip by two allen head screws on the bottom part. The mount does have a thin rubber gasket on the part that goes onto the trunk itself so nothing is damaged.

I have one of these

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBizzo88 View Post
Clean car! Love the headlights. And cb antenna looks fresh too.
Much appreciated
Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #15014
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Jakes car is fvcking beautiful.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #15015
ZHPinthe103

My Ride: 325i Black on beige
I would remove that antenna if i were you and encourage your friends to buy cell phones
Old 01-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #15016
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaSix View Post
This is correct. Engines are designed to operate in a happy medium where it's hot enough to meet efficiency standards but not so hot that it creates excess NOx emissions.
Tell that to my blown thermostat, I'm sure it'll understand and start to cooperate.
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #15017
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post

How does that improve volumetric efficiency? If anything it reduces VE since it is essentially equivalent to opening the throttle a little bit less than you otherwise would.

However since there apparently isn't' much EGR at full load, I guess I don't really care.
The thermal efficiency is better because if your combustion is cooler, less heat is lost through the cylinder walls into the water jacket. An engine will run more efficiently by either raising the coolant temp (that's the temp you are thinking of) or lowering the combustion temperatures or both. It's all about reducing the temperature gradient across the cylinder walls. However, there is a point at which too much EGR will reduce thermal efficiency. One paper I just read shows that 5% EGR is about the maximum you want to reduce NOx and increase thermal efficiency, but another shows that up to 30% would be good. It's gonna take a while to sort through these papers. They are quite interesting though.

You are right about the VE going down. I don't know what I was thinking. I can't justify my prior reasoning. I'm finding a lot of conflicting information though, so I'm still reading about it.

There is actually a great deal of research going into this. I'm finding some conflicting info, but the one thing that is definitely true is that EGR SIGNIFICANTLY reduces NOx formation and it does improve fuel economy (referred to as brake specific fuel consumption, BSFC, in most papers).

Last edited by WDE46; 01-15-2013 at 07:23 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #15018
trentcdrums

Quote:
Nope, the mount holds onto the lip by two allen head screws on the bottom part. The mount does have a thin rubber gasket on the part that goes onto the trunk itself so nothing is damaged.

I have one of these

Much appreciated
Mind linking the website?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #15019
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Yep, all I can conclude is reduced NOx emissions and slightly improved BSFC. I can't find any papers I have access to that confirm or deny my claim of improved thermal efficiency. It is a bit contrary to intuition though. EGR increases intake temperatures which hurts efficiency. I can't conclude anything on that yet. Does anyone have access to their university's paper database that is interested in finding out more? PM me.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-15-2013 at 07:31 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #15020
100mileperhour

My Ride: 2000 323ci ZSP
Started the car, heard a squeal and pop! What am I fixing today?

That's what I did for my car today! Burned up a sick day!

German Car #1 - 2000 323ci ZSP Sport Package 223,000 miles and climbing 140 miles a day!
German Car #2 - 1984 Porsche 944 N/A 132,000 miles/Speed Yellow
100mileperhour is offline   Reply With Quote