E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1996 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #15421
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 12,253
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZambrano7 View Post
So I woke up a coolant light this morning. Opened up the tank and saw it empty. Refilled it up but then noticed this. I just had the expansion tank replaced this summer. Should I be worried? I did notice a slight leak nothing crazy regardless taking it to the shop tomorrow
You need a coolant hose. That is not the OEM fitting. The OEM fitting is a molded plastic piece with an oring and a clip. That is a hose clamp.

Wait I'm a moron. That is the OEM hose, but you need a new one. That's gonna fail soon. Don't have the dealer do this. They'll charge you $200 for a 20 minute job and a $30 part.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-28-2013 at 03:14 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #15422
JZambrano7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Corona,NY
Posts: 1,208
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
You need a coolant hose. That is not the OEM fitting. The OEM fitting is a molded plastic piece with an oring and a clip. That is a hose clamp.

Wait I'm a moron. That is the OEM hose, but you need a new one. That's gonna fail soon. Don't have the dealer do this. They'll charge you $200 for a 20 minute job and a $30 part.
Thank you for your response I did manage to do a little research on the part. But I'm not very good at DIY so I'm glad you confirmed it to me. I have a personal mechanic who's fair in his pricing, we'll see what he quotes me tomorrow.
__________________

-JZ7-
JZambrano7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #15423
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,930
My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZambrano7 View Post
So I woke up a coolant light this morning. Opened up the tank and saw it empty. Refilled it up but then noticed this. I just had the expansion tank replaced this summer. Should I be worried? I did notice a slight leak nothing crazy regardless taking it to the shop tomorrow
Upper radiator hose cracked.
Do not drive with the hose cracked like that.
You can get one from the dealership or from NAPA.
NAPA one will cost you around $30, dealership will cost you around $50. That was last year around this time.

I know because I cracked the same hose when I hammered the fanclutch nut and the wrench hit the hose.
Got one from dealership and one from NAPA to compare. I used the one from the dealership just to be safe and returned the NAPA one. But both looked the same except for the BMW marking.
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #15424
JZambrano7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Corona,NY
Posts: 1,208
My Ride: 2003 325xi
The leak is minimal but I won't be moving the car until tomorrow. Don't want to risk it too much. I just hope it holds up on the way to the mechanic
__________________

-JZ7-
JZambrano7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #15425
RKiepper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Linn, Missouri
Posts: 1,599
My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
ah... didn't know that's what you were asking about. Why not just a thin coat of nightshades to darken it?
If I can find an amber tint to go over it, I'd go that route. The 'amber' I found was actually orange, and that shade I managed is with two layers.
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #15426
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 12,253
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZambrano7 View Post
The leak is minimal but I won't be moving the car until tomorrow. Don't want to risk it too much. I just hope it holds up on the way to the mechanic

Just watch the temp needle the whole way. If it so much as thinks about moving, pull over. The $100 tow will be worth it. You don't want to buy a hose AND a headgasket replacement.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-28-2013 at 03:42 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #15427
tcphoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Madison, GA
Posts: 1,589
My Ride: '09 335 MT Coupe
It's a $30 fix and takes about 30 minutes including clean up, testing and the first beer. Why pay someone to do such a simple task?
tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #15428
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,930
My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZambrano7 View Post
The leak is minimal but I won't be moving the car until tomorrow. Don't want to risk it too much. I just hope it holds up on the way to the mechanic
Its not about the amount that is leaking right now, its about the air it has introduced to your cooling system. I'd advice against driving it.

Get a radiator hose from NAPA or dealership(a good idea to get a gal of coolant) and ask your mechanic to drive to you when he is free. It will take max 30 mins to replace including toping(or bleeding) coolant. Give him an hours worth of labor. Just 0.2 cents.
You will spend more if you overheat or even if you have to tow your car there.
You may get away with duct tape and coolant top up before you drive to your mechanic, but it will need a proper bleed anyway as air has been introduced to the system.

When I cracked that hose, I was in a friend's shop trying to DIY. I left the car there for a night and asked his employee to replace the hose later next day. I didnt even start it after I cracked it.
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #15429
illestminimike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Covina CA
Posts: 4,039
My Ride: Project Drama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777eThOd* View Post
Got tired of getting pulled over so much, so I got my front plates made and put them back on!

Please take off the eyelids and red angel eyes.
__________________
illestminimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #15430
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 12,253
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Just 0.2 cents.
You cheap bastard. You can't even give a full cent?

Last edited by WDE46; 01-28-2013 at 03:56 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #15431
JZambrano7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Corona,NY
Posts: 1,208
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Just watch the temp needle the whole way. If it so much as thinks about moving, pull over. The $100 tow will be worth it. You don't want to buy a hose AND a headgasket replacement.
Yeah I hear you, I learned about all the consequences during my expansion tank replacement. I will def be on the look out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
It's a $30 fix and takes about 30 minutes including clean up, testing and the first beer. Why pay someone to do such a simple task?
If I had an idea of what I was doing I would be more than glad to, besides it's way too cold in NY to be outside working on your car. Rather take it to someone who knows what they're doing and who I trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Its not about the amount that is leaking right now, its about the air it has introduced to your cooling system. I'd advice against driving it.

Get a radiator hose from NAPA or dealership(a good idea to get a gal of coolant) and ask your mechanic to drive to you when he is free. It will take max 30 mins to replace including toping(or bleeding) coolant. Give him an hours worth of labor. Just 0.2 cents.
You will spend more if you overheat or even if you have to tow your car there.
You may get away with duct tape and coolant top up before you drive to your mechanic, but it will need a proper bleed anyway as air has been introduced to the system.

When I cracked that hose, I was in a friend's shop trying to DIY. I left the car there for a night and asked his employee to replace the hose later next day. I didnt even start it after I cracked it.
Thanks for the advice, I will maybe try duck taping it and filling it up until Im at the shop. Sorry for the question but what is the problem with air entering the coolant system? Do i have anything to worry about until tomorrow?
__________________

-JZ7-
JZambrano7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #15432
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,930
My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
You cheap bastard. You can't even give a full cent?
Yah, he was so keen on driving the car with cracked hose that I thought a full cent wasnt worth it.
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #15433
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,930
My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZambrano7 View Post
Yeah I hear you, I learned about all the consequences during my expansion tank replacement. I will def be on the look out.



If I had an idea of what I was doing I would be more than glad to, besides it's way too cold in NY to be outside working on your car. Rather take it to someone who knows what they're doing and who I trust.



Thanks for the advice, I will maybe try duck taping it and filling it up until Im at the shop. Sorry for the question but what is the problem with air entering the coolant system? Do i have anything to worry about until tomorrow?
No need to worry until tomorrow, but need to fix and get the air out of the system before turning over the engine.
If air is present in a sealed system your temp needle will go whacko and may over heat the engine.
Why risk it? Get a radiator hose and DIY or ask a mechanic or some fellow member near you to help you out. Pay him the amount you were going to pay for the tow.
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #15434
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 12,253
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
Please take off the eyelids and red angel eyes.

IDK it looks kinda cool.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #15435
Mango
e46mango.com
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 25,720
My Ride: 2016 Lexus
Just ordered the last BMW structural foam in stock for the subframe reinforcement from Mike @ bmwpartstore. All I need now is seam sealer, mega's injection gun, a drill bit, and some nerves of steel as I undergo this intimidating project. Fairly simple but I don't want to waste $200 worth of foam :/

BMW part# 83190445721



I also hope no cracks had developed from the last time i "checked" the subframe area until now (couple months??)
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #15436
///MPR77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,852
My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Just ordered the last BMW structural foam in stock for the subframe reinforcement from Mike @ bmwpartstore. All I need now is seam sealer, mega's injection gun, a drill bit, and some nerves of steel as I undergo this intimidating project. Fairly simple but I don't want to waste $200 worth of foam :/

BMW part# 83190445721



I also hope no cracks had developed from the last time i "checked" the subframe area until now (couple months??)
Let me know when you're going to do this, I would like to hang out and watch, or help.


Sent from my SCH-R530M using Bimmer App
__________________

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #15437
Mango
e46mango.com
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 25,720
My Ride: 2016 Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post
Let me know when you're going to do this, I would like to hang out and watch, or help.


Sent from my SCH-R530M using Bimmer App
For sure. Honestly I really have no idea what I am doing with this repair and could use an extra set of eyes. Too bad we aren't in Jersey
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #15438
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 12,253
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Just ordered the last BMW structural foam in stock for the subframe reinforcement from Mike @ bmwpartstore. All I need now is seam sealer, mega's injection gun, a drill bit, and some nerves of steel as I undergo this intimidating project. Fairly simple but I don't want to waste $200 worth of foam :/

BMW part# 83190445721



I also hope no cracks had developed from the last time i "checked" the subframe area until now (couple months??)

Who needs that when you can just use "Great Stuff"? It's obviously superior for all applications.


Last edited by WDE46; 01-28-2013 at 05:04 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #15439
Mango
e46mango.com
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 25,720
My Ride: 2016 Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Who needs that when you can just use "Good Stuff"? It's obviously superior for all applications.
I'm going to rehearse this and do a couple of "dry runs." i think i'll buy some cake batter and fill a soda can or something
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #15440
100mileperhour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brooklyn, Michigan
Posts: 163
My Ride: 2006 330i Sport
I now have heat on my feet!!!!

While pulling my blower motor out and cleaning, I noticed that my fresh air blender was disconnected. Now when I press the controls in the cabin, I now control the air flow and temp! Yeah ME!!!!

Now, back to the garage and with these unseasonably warm temps for the next few days, I'm going to pull my rear brake pads off and lube up the guides. Seems the they are sticking a bit.

Full brake kit coming when I get my IRS refund!!!!
__________________

Sold 2000 323ci ZSP Sport Package 223,000 miles and climbing 140 miles a day!
For Sale- 1984 Porsche 944 N/A 132,000 miles/Speed Yellow
1991 Toyota MR2 N/A 113,000 miles/Aqua Marine Blue/Green

Last edited by 100mileperhour; 01-28-2013 at 07:54 PM.
100mileperhour is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2016 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use