E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
carrera_d

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
2003 325i Brake Job

So I just took my car in and found out that I need front rotors and pads, my mechanic quoted $450 including labor, they are not oem parts but he stated comparable. I just bought the car a few months ago, does this seem like a fair price? I'm located in So Cal.
carrera_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #2
bimmerfan1990
Modded ///Member

My Ride: BMW ///M3
Look up the diys and do it yourself. You can get the pads and rotors for the front and back for that price and put them on yourself. If you're going to have a mechanic do it, $450 parts and labor is reasonable, but I would stick with OEM parts
bimmerfan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
CRA

My Ride: 05 330i zhp, 76 TR6
Brakes a a pretty easy DIY. Sometimes you can get away with doing pads only if the rotors are still higher than minimum thickness levels. You can also go aftermarket upgraded pads for less than OEM. There are lots of brake threads so do a search. I like PBR/Axxis Ultimates and paid around $65.00 I think from Turner Motorsports. You will also need a brake pad wear sensor for about $15.00. A lot of people recommemd OEM rotors and Tischer BMW http://www.getbmwparts.com/ usually sells all OEM BMW parts at a discount. Once you learn to do the brake DIY you will save thousands of dollars over the years. I do brakes on all my vehicles now.
CRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
Scott87

My Ride: 325ci 2001
I agree with the guys above it is really easy to do rotors and pads. Jack it up, wheel off, pop off the retaining spring and 2 bolts and the caliper comes off (now simply lift the old pads out) then 1 screw and the rotor comes off. Reverse the procedure with new parts fitted.

It would also be a good opportunity to bleed the brake lines (fairly easy to do and would complement new rotors and pads) and put new fluid in if this has not been done recently, check my sig for the DIY.

Scott.
Scott87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera_d View Post
So I just took my car in and found out that I need front rotors and pads, my mechanic quoted $450 including labor, they are not oem parts but he stated comparable. I just bought the car a few months ago, does this seem like a fair price? I'm located in So Cal.
If you know anything about cars in general, youcan replace brakes yourself. BMW brakes are among the easiest to service.

Remove the tire.
6 (or 7) mm allen screw to remove the calipers. Gently pry the piston open before removing the caliper.
15mm nut to remove the caliper bracker.
Remove the rotor, put the new one on.
Put the caliper bracket back on.
Put the caliper back on.
Put the tire back on.

Rotors are about $50 each, and good pads are about $50 per axle set. This makes the front brakes run about $150 for parts. You can shop around and beat this estimate, but it's a pretty good number.

Somewhere in the beginning, working on the Left Front, there is a wear sensor that if you are not being notified that the brakes are worn, you can use the sensor over again if you don't break it. Carefully pry the sensor out of the pad and move it to the new pad. If you break the sensor, then you have to replace it. I think they cost roughly 10 bucks.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Rotors= brembo from amazon

Pads= performance friction Z from Bimmerworld
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
Bondga

My Ride: 328Ci
I did my front brakes, rotors, and flushed the brake lines for like $280... And I used all Genuine OEM parts...
Old 05-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera_d View Post
That is a Good Prices as long he don't use AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, O'really Parts...

-TrippinBimmer
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
TxTorqueMade

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via Yahoo to TxTorqueMade
Just DIY
Old 05-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
01tj

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via AIM to 01tj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Rotors= brembo from amazon

Pads= performance friction Z from Bimmerworld
I believe Auto-zone also sells performance friction pads
01tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
viceversa

My Ride: 2004 325i
To answer your question directly, yes that is a fair price. However, I agree with everyone ^^^ you should save some $$ learn abit and DIY!
OP: I am sure your English Writing teacher told you this every year, regardless of who s/he was: writing is important. Others will either respect you or ignore you or piss on you if you type like a moron. This isn't an instant message site; it's a forum. We aren't texting each other right now. We are typing messages. Type regular English and people are more likely to respond.
viceversa is offline   Reply With Quote