E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
BranchTwenty1

My Ride: '04 330Ci Vert 6-Spd
Double Din Install - Help Please (HVAC issue) - SOLVED

Hello Fanatics!

I am in the middle of a DD install. I've been following some great info and DIY threads found here on this site as well as other resources. (here's a great one: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...double+din+arm) And so far so good!!... until today.

I have come across an issue that I have not found mentioned anywhere, so I am resorting to posting the question here. Please go easy on me if this is a "no brainer" issue for many of you.

After cutting the heater cover and trimming the supporting plastic piece all the way to the back wall, I am seeing a white/ivory plastic arm that goes right across the opening.

This arm looks to be part of the HVAC system, possibly has to do with vent settings (face, foot, both). Is the "damper control bar" mentioned in the DIY instructions linked above? I haven't seen any information anywhere on how to adjust or mod this part so that it still works but is not in the way. All of the photos I see online in the DIY threads do not show this part.

Right now, this mysterious lil fella is parked right in the middle of the opening, and he's in the way!

Can anyone shed some light on what the part is, and how to go about modding it? Thanks so much!

With the cut cover in place:

This is the unknown part:

Without the cut cover:

Last edited by BranchTwenty1; 04-29-2014 at 05:54 PM.
BranchTwenty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
BranchTwenty1

Dear Moderators,

Pardon me if this thread was started in the wrong section. I just realized it may have been more appropriate to post this question in the "Mobile Electronics Forum". Feel free to move it if necessary. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
Az1aN0531

My Ride: 323i
im currently doin this myself. that is the arm for the foot vents. Youll have to modify that. but be carefull when taking that off (unless you have extra). i had to make a ubracket to make enough space for the DD to clear it. if you got any other questions feel free to msg me and ill send ya pic of how mine is progressing..good luck !
Az1aN0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
drift.mechanic

My Ride: E46 323i
I did the double din swap in my E46 and never considered cutting the heater core box. That's insanity.

A heat gun, the butt end of a hammer and bingo, enough clearance was made by deforming the ducting slightly towards the firewall.

No cutting required, no removal or modding required. Just need the double din unit, the M3 double sun dash bracket, relocate the HVAC unit and bingo.

Good luck remedying that gaping hole.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
drift.mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
BranchTwenty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az1aN0531 View Post
im currently doin this myself. that is the arm for the foot vents. Youll have to modify that. but be carefull when taking that off (unless you have extra). i had to make a ubracket to make enough space for the DD to clear it. if you got any other questions feel free to msg me and ill send ya pic of how mine is progressing..good luck !
Thanks a million for the reply and heads up, man. I was able to figure it out and made a U-Bracket myself to make it work. I was able to track down another DIY on this site that went into a bit more detail about addressing the foot vent issue. Now, I've got it working nicely and nothing is getting rubbed, pushed, or blocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift.mechanic View Post
I did the double din swap in my E46 and never considered cutting the heater core box. That's insanity.

A heat gun, the butt end of a hammer and bingo, enough clearance was made by deforming the ducting slightly towards the firewall.

No cutting required, no removal or modding required. Just need the double din unit, the M3 double sun dash bracket, relocate the HVAC unit and bingo.

Good luck remedying that gaping hole.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I hear ya, Drift. I decided to go the "insanity" route so that could have more than enough room, rather just barely enough. I knew going in that I was gonna have a ton of wires back there (2 USB wires, GPS connection, traffic info wiring, Bluetooth mic, HDMI connection, steering wheel control adapter, plus multiple amp wires... to name a few). So, started down this path. And looking back, I'm thoroughly glad that I did. Thanks for the good luck wishes.. I needed it, and was finally able to remedy the gaping hole neatly. Everything works perfectly. Got a test fitting last night with all the wires connected and it's money!!

The control arm modified with extensions on either side:

The main control arm with cutouts on the bottom for plenty of clearance of the condenser pipes:

Starting to build the back wall with plenty of depth but also forward enough to allow the control arm to move freely behind it:

Looks sloppy here, but it was still in the early stages. My main focus was to seal it up properly and not worry about looks. Later, I trimmed down the ugly epoxy after being satisfied it was sealed well:

After sealing it completely, and trimming the "seals" down, I used tinfoil tape by Dynamat to ensure the seals. Looks good, and works perfectly!
Old 04-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
BranchTwenty1

I would like to update the title on this thread to "Solved" but I wasn't able to find in the FAQ section how to modify the thread title. Anyone know off hand?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
sneakyRedPanda

My Ride: 1989 E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BranchTwenty1 View Post
I would like to update the title on this thread to "Solved" but I wasn't able to find in the FAQ section how to modify the thread title. Anyone know off hand?
Yeah, go into the advanced editor for your first post in this thread, and edit the title. Just like you can specify a title for each reply to a thread, the actual thread name is the title of the first post.

Goodbye, sweet prince.
sneakyRedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
BranchTwenty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyRedPanda View Post
Yeah, go into the advanced editor for your first post in this thread, and edit the title. Just like you can specify a title for each reply to a thread, the actual thread name is the title of the first post.
Thanks, Sneaky!
Old 04-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
Az1aN0531

My Ride: 323i
heyy looks good man. i tried that way was well but decided to point the ubracket down, either or works. great job! maynn u accomplised alot more than me lol.. im still waiting for my car at the shop lol i got delays ahaha ur mods looking great man keep it up n post some more picx!
Az1aN0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:06 AM   #10
Robd360

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
i know this is an old thread but how did you all remove the heater control arm from the left side? the right is easy but i cant pop out the connection to the left. I want to take out the arm to modify it but im having a hell of a time. ive tried using a small flat head screw driver to pry it out and also by pressing in the small clearing on the top but it wont come out. grrrr!
Robd360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #11
Sigboi

My Ride: '12 Leaf EV, 03 325i
I'm tackling a leaking heater core, and this looks like almost a great shortcut to not have to remove the dash! Could you tell me how much clearance there is, to maybe disconnect the hoses and wiggle the heater core out?
Sigboi is offline   Reply With Quote