E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2016, 05:23 AM   #1
FeedTheBaby

My Ride: 325ci, Mini Clubman
Tool I made. Evap Smoke Tester General Operation.

Hey guys, new to the forums and a long time lurker.

I wanted to post about a tool I have built to use to test for leaks of just about any kind. Video is a bit shakey so I will probably recreate something a little better. Here it is.

Temp controlled. Almost no maintenance. Long lasting wicks. Long Operation.

Can be used with high pressure shop air, nitrogen, argon etc.

When changing wicks (if it ever needs to even be changed) you simply pull the old one off, push the new wick on, soak it and go.

As far as operating time, its really up to how long you need it on. The machine does not get hot and its built to produce smoke at a controlled rate. This is a low temp high smoke output system.

I plan on putting a few together for those who request it. Batch 1 parts are already on their way.

Update 07/12/2016

Batch 1 will soon be available. Info can be found here (Post #18): http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...6&postcount=18

Update 07/16/2016

First batch reserved. However you can still submit a request via pm and I will add you to the list as an alternate, in the case any original reserved members change their minds.

Last edited by FeedTheBaby; 07-16-2016 at 07:28 PM.
FeedTheBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Impressive! Plans, parts list, instructions?

Very nice, def NOT ghetto!
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #3
FeedTheBaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Impressive! Plans, parts list, instructions?

Very nice, def NOT ghetto!
Thanks. Yes Im working on a diy video with components right now. (V2 is a bit more complex than V1, so this has changed a bit. V2 will luckily be for sale for not much more than the parts costs to make it)

The one in the video is Simple Smoke V1. Im currently on Simple Smoke V2 which has remote start and stop on both the smoke and air supply.

Just waiting on a few components to arrive and I will build one on camera. Then when I get time I will put it in some sort of paper/template/print form. (V2 is a bit more complex than V1, so this has changed a bit. V2 will luckily be for sale for not much more than the parts costs to make it)

Last edited by FeedTheBaby; 07-12-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:30 AM   #4
markusmarkus

What about a parts list? I bet you could make some $ by building and selling these machines!!
Old 06-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #5
markusmarkus

Please keep me posted!!
Old 06-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #6
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
awesome innovation, and creative with the paint cans.Very nice job, and clean too.
BKMrSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:35 PM   #7
05SMG

My Ride: E46 330ci ZSP
I like it.
05SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:09 AM   #8
FeedTheBaby

Quote:
Please keep me posted!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMrSteel View Post
awesome innovation, and creative with the paint cans.Very nice job, and clean too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SMG View Post
I like it.
Thanks guys

Im currently working on V2 and will have more info this month. V1 is a bit rough since it was basic proof of concept. I think I will keep it and serialize it #0000000.

As I stated in my last post, V2 has remote management mode which shuts off both the smoking unit and air supply. This way you can activate and shut it down remotely while a car is on a lift or situations where you might be in a tight spot and need to shut it down without having to reposition yourself.

V2 wicking system has changed also to make it even more efficient on the smoke side, and maintenance side. Im guesstimating here but V2 wicks should last about 100 service hours, cost about 3 cents to replace and take about 1-3 mins to switch with a new one.

While Im waiting on the remaining parts to arrive, I will video that wicking system to give others an idea of what I mean.

Yeah I like the paint cans also. A family member said it looked a little weird until he saw the inside, smd components and then he was like "oh yeah". Hopefully others will understand that the paint cans are just a means to house what is really important which is what Im hoping is a bullet proof machine.

Even if it looks a little hokey to some, paint cans are an amazing way to house the components because they are cheap and can be easily replaced if the need ever presents itself.

Imo, (esp with the changes made over the last week) this machine out performs anything else I have tried when taking into account smoke production, ease of use, ease of maintenance and cost.

This week Im working on producing two inflatable bladder tools. One for intakes/exhaust & one for FILLER NECKS/Oil Fill Ports (the most bad ass out of the bunch imo).

Will post more info and videos once Im sure its going to be close to final information in regards to V2. Sometime this month for sure.

Last edited by FeedTheBaby; 06-10-2016 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:31 AM   #9
markusmarkus

Keeps us posted!!! Every BMW owner who wrenches the beast should have one of these!!!!
Old 06-15-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
FeedTheBaby

Ive been setting up a test station to make it easier to prototype. I figured I would post a few updates in the form of pictures.

Eventually I will be ready to make a few more videos. Topics should include general breakdown of how the machine works, use, maintenance, changing of wicks and why glow plug over kanthal or nichrome wire.

There is (what I feel) some misinformation out there about glow plugs vs nichrome wire that I would like to talk about and run through the pros and cons of each.

Here are a few pics.

Image includes: Test base can for top can smoke testing (allows easy routing of hoses), Air input hoses, Output hoses w/ new tips being tested (which are turning out to be amazing), solenoid valve for testing, reference bottom can in the middle of being built, NuTone exhaust fan.

General overview of test station. Upper left hand corner are parts bins.

Closeup of NuTone exhaust fan. (Normal bathroom fan modified)

Misc drawer

Last edited by FeedTheBaby; 06-15-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:56 AM   #11
markusmarkus

Please keep up the great work. I had your post checked by bmwdirtracer (Chris Powell), a top notch BMW tech. He thought your machine is excellent. Every BMWCCA chapter needs to have one!
Old 06-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #12
markusmarkus

I'm aching to build one my self! How about a parts list to kick things off?

Last edited by markusmarkus; 06-22-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:16 PM   #13
FeedTheBaby

Quote:
I'm aching to build one my self! How about a parts list to kick things off?
Im going to make this as a kit with either full assembly or partial assembly. The hardware is straight forward however the electronics are custom. I just dont have the time to do guides for creating pcb boards, smd and discreet components needed etc.

The only thing I need to figure out is a decent price point for the kit. As of now Im thinking $219 for the machine or $239 for the version with remote capabilities (Which adds $30 in required hardware alone). Would come fully assembled with the exception of two hoses (For shipping purposes).

It would literally mean the machine would arrive:

1. You unpack
2. Flip up the top can
3. Connect two hoses to the top can From the bottom can

And its ready to go.

Its to the point now where its basically bullet proof and simply operates better than anything in the market commercially. It produces better smoke than any commercial machine I have ever tried, it works longer, its cheaper, safer, and costs less than a nickle to rewick.

Everything needed to make a batch of machines is here and ready to go, all that is left to do is actually video some interesting information. Some may not like the paint can housing, however I think its actually pretty cool. Plus this can be put in just about any custom enclosure really. Its the operation and reliability that matters most.

Im going to build 8 machines next week. 1 is staying with me as machine #0000001, #0000002 is going to my fathers shop and the remaining 6 will go up for sale in various places.

Last edited by FeedTheBaby; 06-29-2016 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #14
markusmarkus

Where are the "places"?
Old 06-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #15
FeedTheBaby

Quote:
Where are the "places"?
I was thinking here of course, other forums and I was also planning on sending a couple of non serialized units to some of my favorite youtube mechanics. I have to contact them first to see if they would be interested.

Personally Im a BMW/Mini guy with roots in American Classics. I would think those should cover anyone interested for a good long while.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #16
markusmarkus

Ok, I'm very interested! Please keep me updated.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #17
markusmarkus

Chris Powell said he has some folks interested, too! I think you've created something bigger than you expected!!
Old 07-10-2016, 11:51 PM   #18
FeedTheBaby

Quote:
Chris Powell said he has some folks interested, too! I think you've created something bigger than you expected!!
Awesome! I cant wait to show the changes that Ive made since filming the first video.

I have enough parts here to build 10 new units & circuitry now with serial numbers and all. I think once they are out in the wild the evap/leak detection niche is going to be turned upside down. Thats what Im hoping at least.

I want to see people working on their own cars again in relation to leak detection and doing it as safe as possible, while not having to spend a grand to run something as simple as smoke through their system. Commercial units are just too expensive esp for what you get and burning rags/leaves/oil is just too unsafe. I think this machine is the perfect solution, and thats what I set out to do from the beginning.

Since my last post I was able to find exhaust, intake and evap leaks on a few test vehicles like it was nothing.

If anyone wants 1 of the 10 units (8 are available) simply contact me through private messaging and I will mark your username for notification when I start building them. All 8 available units will be manual and remote controlled and will come with 2 button remotes for on and off. Im going to charge an even $230 per unit just to get them out of the door so people can get started testing.

Pic showing Serialized Label and Remote included.

Payment

No money is needed until the units are about to ship. No deposits needed etc, just a simple message will do. I already have the parts so they are getting built regardless (in a Henry Ford manner). I will offer ALL units here first to my fellow bmw enthusiasts. If the interest is low, I will start posting information elsewhere but you guys get first crack at them.

Available units are:

Simple Smoke V2 Leak Detection System w/ Remote [Limited Run]

#0000000 Not available (Stays with me as a reminder of this project)
#0000001 Not available
#0000002 Reserved Being built and tested. Expected Finish Time 7/22/16, Possibly Sooner
#0000003 Reserved Being built and tested. Expected Finish Time 7/22/16, Possibly Sooner
#0000004 Reserved Being built and tested. Expected Finish Time 7/22/16, Possibly Sooner
#0000005 Reserved Being built and tested. Expected Finish Time 7/22/16, Possibly Sooner
#0000006 Reserved Being built and tested. Expected Finish Time 7/29/16, Possibly Sooner
#0000007 Reserved Being built and tested. Expected Finish Time 7/29/16, Possibly Sooner
#0000007 Reserved Being built and tested. Expected Finish Time 7/29/16, Possibly Sooner
#0000009 Reserved Being built and tested. Expected Finish Time 7/29/16, Possibly Sooner

Im hoping there is a bit of interest because I really want to see these in the hands of others. Im curious what the reactions will be after they use them.

There IS really cool a video coming, it just took me some time to setup here, I was also out of town with the family for a week so that set me back on personal projects.

What happens after these initial 10 units are sold?

Im not sure I will build another batch. I have other interests honestly that I want to pursue. At the same time I can envision building 500 of these. I think the 10 units Im about to assemble will help me gauge if its something I want pursue on a bigger scale. Ive got the process down to assembly line like ease with templates, harness jigs etc, so it wouldnt be out of the question to continue. "When" that would happen is another question as its based on part availability and shipping times.

If I do decide to pursue this on a larger scale I will most likely have custom housings built and raise the price. It would still be cheaper than other commercial units available but a little more expensive than the paint can housing version. Even though I think paint cans in this situation are awesome. The market might want something a bit more purpose built/commercialized.

The price in that situation would most likely go from $230 to $330 (Rough guess). Still well below other units out of the box. This unit as Ive said (in my opinion) is better than the other commercial units out there when it comes to reliability, affordability, maintenance and use, but the market is the real litmus test of if that is true.

What excites me most about this project?

I have to be honest, the most exciting thing for me about this project is the potential for seeing others reactions. More so than the money involved (Money made per unit is very low, just enough to recoup r&d). Im hoping someone that works or runs a shop purchases one of these, because I REALLY want to see how it either a. makes them money, or b. it makes their lives just that much easier or both and then some. That is the most exciting part I can think of at this moment.

Why did I file a patent?

So I did file a patent on certain aspects of this system. The reason is more to keep bigger players from filing once its in the wild and somehow attempting to stop me from building the very thing that I created.

Its happened in the past with others who created something useful but didnt take the time to protect their work. The US is a first to file system so at this point anyone creating anything useful should do this. Otherwise a larger company may very well backwards engineer something, file and send a cease and desist order to the original creator.

That sort of action is horrible in my opinion, however its a reality.

I may never make another unit again, but I will always know the option is there in case I wanted to.

What's next?

Thats all the info I can think of right now of posting in regards to the possible future. Now that Im ready to film, I just have to set aside time to do it, upload and update this thread.

Last edited by FeedTheBaby; 07-16-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:33 AM   #19
markusmarkus

Tool I made. Evap Smoke Tester General Operation.

I sent you a pm for a unit. With all the aging E46s out there me thinks you're going to have to ramp up production!!!

Last edited by markusmarkus; 07-11-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:17 PM   #20
bmwdirtracer

My Ride: '01 M5
I have also sent you a PM, FeedtheBaby. (And thank you, Mark, for leading me this way!)

Chris Powell
bmwdirtracer is offline   Reply With Quote