E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
daveupshaw

My Ride: 2000 323i
Bushing Gone? Shaking wheel

Hey Everyone,

I bought new Wheels for my car yesterday, got them balanced and put on at the tire shop today.

Before I got the Wheels Balanced there was a wobble when i was driving so i thought it was just a balancing issue. So i got the new Wheels balanced and they noticed as they were putting them back on that my front left wheel was moving when they torqued the wheel. So we looked under the car and it looks like a Bushing is gone.

Here is a Pic of the bushing, does anyone know what this is called? and how easy/hard it would be to replace?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bushing.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	359820  

2000 323i
daveupshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
glass330

My Ride: 323ci to 01 330i
GOD Have you ever read this forum? at all? thats a control arm bushing. The bushing is in there and that what it looks like. They should prolly be replaced.
glass330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
glass330

My Ride: 323ci to 01 330i
ps your oil pan looks to be leaking
glass330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
airkorea08

My Ride: Gen Coupe RSpec
Send a message via AIM to airkorea08
that's the front control arm bushing. it's not all to hard to replace. before you replace it just make sure your ball joint is still good. u can check this by taking off your wheel and try wiggling your axle and you'll see if it moves. there should be no movement in that ball joint. On the e46 you you have to change the whole control arm in order to get replace your ball joint. pm me if you have any other questions.

-Brandon
Old 05-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
daveupshaw

My Ride: 2000 323i
Thanks Brandon for actually helping me out with a solid answer instead of trying to make me feel dumb like the other posts.

Clearly I am new at this and do not know what everything is on my car. Thats why I asked, so if you don't have an actual answer, keep it to yourself.

So thanks again to the guys who actually help.

2000 323i
daveupshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
Toad21

My Ride: 00' 328CI
Both Lower Control arms need replaced.

Meyle HD $360 shipped.

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/oembmwparts.html

Last edited by Toad21; 05-10-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Toad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
TxTorqueMade

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via Yahoo to TxTorqueMade
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveupshaw View Post
Thanks Brandon for actually helping me out with a solid answer instead of trying to make me feel dumb like the other posts.

Clearly I am new at this and do not know what everything is on my car. Thats why I asked, so if you don't have an actual answer, keep it to yourself.

So thanks again to the guys who actually help.
Well no. Thats not really how it works here. If YOU come in asking questions that have been asked to death, without SEARCHing, you will receive smart ass comments and essentially, be ***** slapped left and right.

Try for questions that have obviously been answered repeatedly.

Your question is sort of like asking: " What is this part" when looking at a door handle. No offense. Im sure your not stupid or anything, but stupid is as stupid does, around here.

Just trying to help ya out. I see your low post count and thats ok, just learn how it ought to be done.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
TxTorqueMade

BTW, you can get a great deal on CAs and FCAB at FCP Grouton.com. Includes CA/FCABs, Tie rods, sway links and if you are really smart you might go ahead and do your springs and dampers.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
TwoDuckDad

My Ride: 2001 330xi jet black
Hey Dave...don't take it personally. It's kinda like going into a bar you've never been before and want to play darts. Best to find out the pub's protocol prior to just walking up and stating that you have the next game.

Although new to this forum, I've been on many forums, and found them to be the most helpful resource a guy can have regarding motor vehicles. Most guys are full of wisdom, some full of crap, others who just want to rant and rave, but mostly a bunch of guys & gals who are willing to share what they have learned or experienced.

They do have a point about performing a search for something prior to asking about it. Once you search and don't find what you seek be sure to preface that in your question

Hope it helps brother. We're all in this together.
TwoDuckDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #10
330inthe330

My Ride: TiAg 330cic
Similar problem here: I replaced my control arms and bushings, but still get some wheel wobble. Does this indicate that tie rods need done?

OP, welcome to the forum.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
TxTorqueMade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330inthe330 View Post
Similar problem here: I replaced my control arms and bushings, but still get some wheel wobble. Does this indicate that tie rods need done?

OP, welcome to the forum.
Steering flex coupler
Tie rods
Sway links
Wheels not balanced
Tires out of round
Steering rack

Could be a lot of things. Wheel wobble, being kind of vague for a diagnosis online.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #12
dadysev

My Ride: 1999 323i
Send a message via MSN to dadysev
go look at my thread, i have a DIY on how to take them off the arms with a $3.00 C-clamp. I can do both mine in less than an hour.

BTW even brand new bushings give play. You will know when they are getting bad, as the car is not as stable on the road, the front end starts feeling loose, you might get some twitching from the wheels if you pulse the brake. They only last about 30,000 km.
Its the weekness in the front end but i rather change tose ever couple years than friggin ball joints!
dadysev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #13
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
Cabs

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #14
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Front control arm bushings. Replace the left and right CAB at the same time. You'll need another alignment after that's done. Mine is pretty shot, and has some play, but I've simply put it off. One of mine is heavily worn and shot for the most part, been riding on it for over a year now . I'd rather sell my car before fixing anymore ****.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:34 AM   #15
Pimpwerx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTorqueMade View Post
Well no. Thats not really how it works here. If YOU come in asking questions that have been asked to death, without SEARCHing, you will receive smart ass comments and essentially, be ***** slapped left and right.

Try for questions that have obviously been answered repeatedly.

Your question is sort of like asking: " What is this part" when looking at a door handle. No offense. Im sure your not stupid or anything, but stupid is as stupid does, around here.

Just trying to help ya out. I see your low post count and thats ok, just learn how it ought to be done.
All the effort put into being snarky could be put into being helpful. It's just counterproductive. PEACE.
Pimpwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #16
dadysev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
Front control arm bushings. Replace the left and right CAB at the same time. You'll need another alignment after that's done. Mine is pretty shot, and has some play, but I've simply put it off. One of mine is heavily worn and shot for the most part, been riding on it for over a year now . I'd rather sell my car before fixing anymore ****.
ii've change about 5 sets on my car and never needed an alignment. my tires wear perfectly and car goes straigg
Old 05-11-2010, 12:40 AM   #17
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadysev View Post
ii've change about 5 sets on my car and never needed an alignment. my tires wear perfectly and car goes straigg
I don't know the technical name for the part, but the piece of metal that bolts onto the car that houses the bushing, do you remove it to install the new bushing, or do you leave it mounted and simply pull out the old rubber, and install the new bushing? If so... how do you get the control arm out of it?

I've always read that if you unmount the housing, you should get an alignment.

You think I can take it to an indi shop and have them just replace the bushing itself?
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #18
dadysev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I don't know the technical name for the part, but the piece of metal that bolts onto the car that houses the bushing, do you remove it to install the new bushing, or do you leave it mounted and simply pull out the old rubber, and install the new bushing? If so... how do you get the control arm out of it?

I've always read that if you unmount the housing, you should get an alignment.

You think I can take it to an indi shop and have them just replace the bushing itself?
go search my DIY you'll see what needs to be replaced.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:26 AM   #19
blarf

My Ride: '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpwerx View Post
All the effort put into being snarky could be put into being helpful. It's just counterproductive. PEACE.
Teach a man to fish vs give a man a fish. Search.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:54 AM   #20
915bimmer

My Ride: e quatro seiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad21 View Post
Both Lower Control arms need replaced.

Meyle HD $360 shipped.

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/oembmwparts.html
Has anybody ever with this business before? I see they're in San Antonio so i wonder if i can just go to their shop.
915bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bushing, shaking wheel