E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #41
dfjaws

My Ride: '08 E90 M3 / '02 Z3
When I first saw the BCM 18" SPR uppers I instantly wanted to build an SPR. I think they're awesome. I'm currently saving my pennies for the KAC SR-15. I can't change ideas now, I'm too close to an SR-15. After that though, I might put together a nice SPR upper to throw on the SR-15 lower. I think that'd be a fun combo.

Oh yeah...

Noveske

and...

Beautiful SPR!
Old 09-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #42
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish_Rane View Post
Completely dense question. How did you get the 7.5" barrel? Here in CO it's 16" minimum.
It's 16" minimum nationwide for minimum legal length. If you want shorter, you need to get an NFA (National Firearms Act) Tax Stamp issued by the US Department of Justice. It's a $200 stamp that allows you to possess NFA-restricted firearms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Congrats on the NFA! What was the total wait time?
I submitted the paperwork mid-May. So, 4 months.
But at least I got it. Finally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws View Post
When I first saw the BCM 18" SPR uppers I instantly wanted to build an SPR. I think they're awesome. I'm currently saving my pennies for the KAC SR-15. I can't change ideas now, I'm too close to an SR-15. After that though, I might put together a nice SPR upper to throw on the SR-15 lower. I think that'd be a fun combo.

Oh yeah...

Noveske

and...

Beautiful SPR!
Thanks! I have a ways to go with it, yet. I'm going to change the flash suppressor to an Ops Inc. or Surefire brake. Then, I gotta get around to getting a Magpul UBR stock.
Also waiting on the scope, which should take another 2-3 months AT LEAST.
It's operable now, but not to where I want it to be, yet.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #43
dfjaws

My Ride: '08 E90 M3 / '02 Z3
What scope? Nightforce? God I want one of those. They are awesome.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #44
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I submitted the paperwork mid-May. So, 4 months.
But at least I got it. Finally.
Pardon the ignorance, but is the stamp good for all firearms, or will you need another stamp if you pursue another build? I'm assuming that some sort of notification is needed for additionals builds/purchases.

Is this you? Did you start a side business?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #45
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws View Post
What scope? Nightforce? God I want one of those. They are awesome.
The scope going on the SPR is a the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 Illuminated EBR-1 MRAD/MRAD scope

My incoming Kimber 8400 Advance Tactical (in my Sig) will either have a NightForce NXS 3.5-15x56 mil/MLR, US Optics SN3 3.2-17x58 mil/mil, or Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 EBR-2 mrad/mrad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Pardon the ignorance, but is the stamp good for all firearms, or will you need another stamp if you pursue another build? I'm assuming that some sort of notification is needed for additionals builds/purchases.

Is this you? Did you start a side business?
It's only good for that specific weapon with that serial number. You have to get a new stamp for every NFA firearm or device you own. I "manufactured" that rifle, which is why I needed the stamp and it only applies to that one. For my DMR/SDMR build, which will most likely have a 12.5" barrel, I will need another stamp.

Yeah, that's me/my website. I hope to eventually start my own business doing firearms training. It's a long-term goal. I was actually going to be consulting on a new tactical firearms facility/range that was going to be built, and I was going to run it out of there, but the funding and support for the whole project fell through. So, I'm just using right now for personal projects and as a sounding-off forum.

Glock Armorer

Old 09-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #46
Parish_Rane

My Ride: '02 330xi
Thank you very much for the responses. Good luck with the business endeavor and beautiful work on all your rifles, love seeing the builds.
Fuk banks, who invented them? Useless sh!t, that's all I can say. I always deal with cash, with real money, not some numbers in a computer.
Parish_Rane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #47
E92M

My Ride: '08 ZCP M3 | '03 R6
Fun thread to follow.

We need more pictures to keep us salivating...
-Chris
Old 09-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #48
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
2 Colorado guys (make that 3) posted in a row in the same gun forum thread. That equals a range trip. Let's make it happen.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #49
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
2 Colorado guys (make that 3) posted in a row in the same gun forum thread. That equals a range trip. Let's make it happen.

I need some Minnesota guys to start posting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K5 325i View Post
Fun thread to follow.

We need more pictures to keep us salivating...
-Chris
The A.R.M.S. #40L sights I'm putting on the PDW/SBR

The Aimpoint T-1 Micro I'm slapping on top also:

Glock Armorer

Old 09-28-2010, 01:05 AM   #50
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

My Ride: 2011 Tundra Crewmax
Quote:
Got my NFA stamp on Saturday!

Here's the completed PDW, sans rear sight and Aimpoint T-1 Micro sight.

More Photos Here:

http://unastamuscombat.com/concept_weapons.html
Very nice. Maybe I can own something like that one day when I move to a gun loving state.

SQ sound system
Seas Nextel Mids, Focal Utopia Mids, Focal BE tweeters, JL Audio 13tw5, Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-1.600, Audison Bit One processor, Pioneer z150 hu
learthworml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #51
Reedo302

I finally got my a$$ out to the range with the PDW build. I'm waiting on my new LaRue mount for my Aimpoint T-1, so in the mean time I have it on the OE mount bolted the rail, and it's a bit low for my liking. I have an upper 1/3 co-witness with it, but it's a lot of strain on the neck to look through it.
150rds in a short amount of time, and the rifle really did great. That sucker was smoking hot after the second mag, so probably has some crud to burn off. BUT, since the gas system is so short, I'm sure it's gonna be burning hotter anyways. The problem with running a pistol length gas system is that the gas pressure going into the bolt key is so high, that my recoiling speeds are increased. I have a stock recoil spring and buffer in the tube right now, and rifle still cycled fine. I suspect that if I picked up the pace on the rate of fire, I could likely induce a malfunction. I sort of planned on this, and was surprised that I actually had no malfunctions.
The short barrel really is fun, but damn! there's a lot of unburned powder coming out. The powder is igniting as it comes out the bore, and it looks like fireworks coming out the end of the barrel. The Noveske KX3 can-style flash suppressor is blowing it all forward, so you really don't see it. It was scaring the hell out of some people at the indoor range, though. Had a couple people come up and ask me what the hell it was. Nobody had a clue it was an AR. Found that kind of amusing.
I DO have some upgrades on the UPS trucks. Hopefully I'll have them all by Friday.

LaRue Tactical LT660HK T-1 mount
Noveske H2 buffer
Springco extra power chrome silicon recoil spring
Springco 5-coil extra power extractor spring kit with Viton O-ring and delrin insert.

I'll be upgrading my SPR with the extra power recoil spring and extractor spring kit also. This also supposedly will help with accuracy by further delaying cycling for maximum pressure usage.

I should have updated pictures of the PDW sometime this weekend.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 10-20-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #52
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Didn't read the whole thread but are you thinking of a can for it in the future?
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #53
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
Didn't read the whole thread but are you thinking of a can for it in the future?
A Can flash suppressor is one that has no side ports and opens up to a large opening on the end. The Noveske KX3 is the most common. They're made specifically for Short Barrel Rifles due to the extreme concussion they create at the muzzle. I have one on my SBR.

If the can you're referring to is a sound suppressor, the answer is No. Unfortunately, they're illegal in Minnesota.

Glock Armorer

Old 10-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #54
Wraisil

Quote:
A Can flash suppressor is one that has no side ports and opens up to a large opening on the end. The Noveske KX3 is the most common. They're made specifically for Short Barrel Rifles due to the extreme concussion they create at the muzzle. I have one on my SBR.

If the can you're referring to is a sound suppressor, the answer is No. Unfortunately, they're illegal in Minnesota.
I was referring to the sound suppressor. Not illegal here, just cost almost as much for the stamp as the can itself. Maybe it's time for you to move to a more friendly state
Old 10-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #55
Reedo302

Quote:
I was referring to the sound suppressor. Not illegal here, just cost almost as much for the stamp as the can itself. Maybe it's time for you to move to a more friendly state
I've considered it, believe me. Short Barrel Shotguns are illegal too. I really want a Knight Arms MasterKey 12ga.

Glock Armorer

Old 10-21-2010, 12:39 AM   #56
rizzo2008

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP
Quote:
plus its a lot warmer down here. I can only imagine what a place like Minnesota becomes during the winter.

siderant: I hate the ATF even western European countries regulate sound suppressors much less stringently then we do. They have obvious safety and environmental benefits for shooting and hunting but somehow they are deemed to dangerous to be sold over the counter minus absurd tax stamp.
rizzo2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #57
Reedo302

Got my upgraded springs last night. The recoil buffer springs are almost twice as thick as the mil-spec spring material, and they're much stiffer. The 5-coil extractor springs were so tight I had to use a channel-lock pliers to hold the extractor in place while I installed the retaining pin. The extractors are now capable of yanking Rosie O'Donnell out of an Old Country Buffet.

Glock Armorer

Old 10-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #58
Reedo302

...And here she is all complete!

PDW/CQB

Rock River Arms lower
RRA lower parts kit/mil-spec trigger
DPMS upper receiver
Noveske Auto Carrier
BCM Gunfighter Charging handle
Mil-spec carbine buffer tube/receiver extension
Springco extra power spring upgrade kit (recoil spring and 5-coil extractor spring)
Noveske H2 heavy carbine buffer
Noveske Diplomat 7.5" 5.56mm 1:7IP barrel
Noveske KX3 flash suppressor
VLTOR CASV-M forend
VLTOR CAS front sight
Magpul BAD Lever
Magpul MIAD grip/trigger guard
Magpul MOE mil-spec carbine buttstock
Magpul ASAP sling plate
Magpul MS2 sling
A.R.M.S. #40L rear sight
Aimpoint Micro T-1
LaRue Tactical LT660HK

And some awesome free swag that LaRue sent me with the LT660HK mount

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 10-23-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #59
Wraisil

You're making me want to go spend more money...
Old 10-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #60
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Looks great!

I don't remember off the top of my head if you have used a LaRue mount in a previous build or not. If not, what are your thoughts? I love mine, the build quality is superb.

My last order from them didn't include the Dillo Dust. I'm a little jealous.