E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
MBW

My Ride: '04 M3 Convertible
IBUS help needed. Hazard switch and Radio Connected?

I have an '04 M3 Vert and since I picked it up, I have had a buzzing/thumping coming from the front passenger speaker when the stereo is on or off. I have checked the speaker, swapped out an amp, and finally tested a different head unit before the buzz/thump went away so I have been waiting for a good deal on a HU to come along. I thought I had it solved.

Well today, I went to the dealer for my subframe inspection and there was a SMG recode that was done at the same time.

During the recode, the ibus was acting strange and the hazard lights would go on randomly during the install, and the buzzing/thumping I was getting from the speaker would come and go, so they say.

The SA told me that there is something interfering with the ibus which may explain the buzzing/thumping from the speaker and not to throw money at a new HU until we figure out what component is causing the problem. He wants me to come back for a diag at $110 just to tell me the problem. I am not down with that so I have been digging around a bit. I pulled the hazard switch and found that like everyone else, the base plastic is broken, I fixed the switch but still have the same buzzing/thumping from the speaker after I installed it, so I don't think it is the hazard that is causing the ibus issue.

Is there a diagram of the complete ibus system that someone can send me? I would like to go around and clean all the contacts or reconnect some loose wire. (I have heard of a seat wire being loose that sent ibus into a fit) I guess I just really want to eliminate all I can from ibus before i go in for the diagnostic.

My gut tells me that it is still a HU issue. Thoughts?

Mark in UT

Last edited by MBW; 08-20-2010 at 05:39 PM.
MBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
I-Bus, or actually K-Bus on the E46, information can be found on my web site. http://www.ibusmodules.com/E46_K-Bus.htm
The K-Bus is a serial communication bus so even a loose or dirty connection should not create noise on the audio. It may screw up communication, but, that still should not create noise on the audio. I still would suspect the head unit.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
MBW

My Ride: '04 M3 Convertible
Thank you! I am checking out your site.
MBW is offline   Reply With Quote