E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #41
loginfailed

My Ride: My buddies 350hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaundiced Outlook View Post
I like those too. The ones I was looking at are below. I think I may end up getting the ones you have. I prefer how the smoked area matches between the inner and outer pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
I hadn't seen your thread before either....and I'm a 'wagon hunter' too. great thread...and congrats. thanks for posting - the iPhone dock is exactly what I'm looking for.
The Kuda mount and the Pro-Fit passthrough dock are the easiest to deal with in the car. The positioning is great and doesn't get in the way at all. The only problem is that the cost is a bit high. But personally, I think the convenience is worth the price of admission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneperry View Post
that custom bezel for the subwoofer control is sweet, props to you. are you sure that the dynavin does not let you control the subwoofer from the unit, or does it only let you control the bass of the midrange speakers?
As far as what I have read in Jeff's Dynavin thread, the subwoofer output is designed as a "non-fading" output. Meaning that the line level of the subwoofer is not independently adjustable.

I say it should be adjustable, but that's just my opinion, I guess. I installed car audio professionally from 1994-2001 so what do I know?

Either way, even if Dynavin decides to make it adjustable in the future, I will still use my PAC LC-1 to adjust my sub level. Its way too easy to just reach down and turn a knob, as opposed to dealing with multiple steps to get to the right menu to adjust it through the head unit. I like a different subwoofer level on each song, so having the sub level so easily accessible is important to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
Awesome job on the sub control. I'm thinking about doing something similar for the switch for the sprint booster. My next two DIYs are rear fogs and steering wheel paddle shifters.
Thanks! Just FYI, those little switch blanks are pretty cheap.

How do you like the sprint booster? I am curious if it is really worth it? Can the same thing be accomplished by just pressing the gas harder?

Last edited by loginfailed; 02-12-2011 at 11:04 PM.
loginfailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #42
mikeyb74

My Ride: Jet Black 01 325xit
Send a message via AIM to mikeyb74
Quote:
Originally Posted by loginfailed View Post
Thanks! Just FYI, those little switch blanks are pretty cheap.

How do you like the sprint booster? I am curious if it is really worth it? Can the same thing be accomplished by just pressing the gas harder?
You have a different panel than mine. I have the one piece with multiple switches. Just like the one below. Not sure if I could retrofit the early switches and blanks into my car.

I have yet to install the Sprint booster but I have driven a half dozen BMWs and a couple of non BMWs with it. You do notice the difference between stock and the Sprint booster.

"The station wagon thatís finally gorgeous enough, engaging enough to drive, and sufficiently
swell to lure folks out of those cumbersome utes." -Car and Driver

It's funny... people who drive anything expensive often get labeled by folks who drive less expensive cars. I have found, without exception, that douchebags cover all demographics and incomes. You can be an douchebag in either a Echo or an Escalade.

Last edited by mikeyb74; 02-18-2011 at 10:57 AM.
mikeyb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #43
loginfailed

Quote:
You have a different panel than mine. I have the one piece with multiple switches.
Ah yes, I forgot about the two different switch types. That could make things interesting.

Retrofitting early switches may not be feasible, since yours has only 2 plugs on the back, whereas the older style like mine would have an individual plug for each switch.

I would try taking the case apart and see what it looks like inside. It may still be possible to add your own switches to it. It just may be a bit more involved. It might just be a case of needing a little "engineering" to get it to work.

After having the sub control mounted this way for the past week or so, I can say that I really like having quick access to adjust the sub level. I think it is in the perfect spot.

As far as the K40 goes, the LED's I used are bright as sh!t! 5000 MCD is fine for daytime use, but at night the blue one will blind the hell out of you! I really need to replace the LEDs with something in the 2000-3000 MCD range.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #44
mikeyb74

I could take it apart but I do not want to risk damaging it. That is just how my luck usually is.

"The station wagon thatís finally gorgeous enough, engaging enough to drive, and sufficiently

It's funny... people who drive anything expensive often get labeled by folks who drive less expensive cars. I have found, without exception, that douchebags cover all demographics and incomes. You can be an douchebag in either a Echo or an Escalade.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #45
southpaw

My Ride: E36 M3 and E36 318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxcosmicxx View Post
Or you could not do what everyone else does

... Car looks great man!
So true.

Looks great man! But does it have 350hp at WOT

239whp/227wtq @2700lbs
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #46
loginfailed

More preparation for the Dynavin

Had a little fun today. Installed the backup camera. Sorry for the crappy phone pics, but you get the idea.

In order to test it out, I had to use this old tube TV I had laying around in the garage.

There is some additional work required for my car to install the camera due to the fact that it is a touring. The snap in cameras you see all over eBay are WAY too deep.

What I ended up doing was removing the entire rear body of the camera, leaving just the front plate. Inside the camera body it is pretty much hollow so once the rear housing is removed, so this is not a problem.

There touring's rear handle has a sealed cavity that the reverse light is housed in. So by using Permatex Ultra Black sealant, I was able to seal it at the front and back, so no moisture can get in.

The LED lights that the camera has are brighter than the BMW license light, so now I need to find an LED license light for the other side. I'll have to experiment a little to find the right brightness to match the camera's LEDs.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #47
jyerabutar

My Ride: 01" 325iT
i'm thinking of doing the same thing, more info on what kind of camera and pics with LED lights on ?
we have twin tourings lol!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #48
loginfailed

I forgot to mention, the diagonal lines on the TV don't show in person. It has something to do with the refresh rate of the tube TV vs. the iPhone camera.

The reverse cam I bought is from the eBay seller "Factory Kiss". I'll post a link in a sec.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #49
loginfailed

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130398587071

I dont have any pics yet of the difference in brightness between the factory light and the LED light on the camera.

I'll try to take a pic of it tomorrow for you.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:04 AM   #50
jyerabutar

Awesome thx sir
Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #51
loginfailed

Ok, here are a couple pics of the license lights (cam is on the left side):

I've got a bag of 8000 MCD white LEDs left over from a previous project. I'll probably try to make my own light from those.

It may take some experimenting to find the correct amount of light output to match the camera, but it's a project that I'll enjoy. If I can't get it to match, I may just replace the LEDs supplied in the cam with my own. Then it will be sure to match.

Another option that I actually considered for a few minutes, is to just buy another camera and slap it in the other side. They are only $32 shipped. But nah, I'm not that lazy!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:51 AM   #52
jyerabutar

nice, i have the WeissLicht LED plate lights which are super bright.
I wonder if the light color would match or not
Old 02-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #53
Jaundiced Outlook

My Ride: has a tailgate
I mentioned these earlier in the thread, so I thought I'd provide some follow-up.

The new smoked taillights & tailgate lights arrived from Germany, and I installed them over the weekend. They look really nice & duplicate the external fit of the original lights perfectly. Had to do a little massaging on the mounting studs, the ones that fit into the plastic retaining clips (which look like bakelite). Two on each taillight and one on each tailgate light. Basically, I dremeled the sides of the flange on the mounting studs so they'd fit inside the the clips. Otherwise, the clips wouldn't clamp down enough on the sheetmetal to hold the lights tight. Also, for some reason the wiring was reversed on the tailgate lights - the Euro fog lights were illuminating instead of the reverse/backup lights. Good thing I checked before reassembling the inside of the tailgate! The plugs weren't interchangeable, so I had to cut, swap & solder the hot wires for each light (they have a common ground). A wee bit of hassle, but worth the effort.

I like how they match the smoked front corners and side indicators I installed earlier.

Jaundiced Outlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #54
Jaminio

My Ride: BMW M3 CS
Send a message via Skype™ to Jaminio
Nice, I've been thinking about getting a set of smoked lights for my Touring too.

Best i've seen so far...
Jaminio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #55
C18wwn

My Ride: E46 320d
good choice, i got the same....

i painted the creme plastics matt black tho

Then:
'93 FD3s RX7
'03 BMW 320d tourer
'95 VW Golf VR6
'95 BMW M3
'99 VW Caddy
'90 BMW 535i Sport
'96 VW Golf 16v supercharged
C18wwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #56
loginfailed

Quote:
I could take it apart but I do not want to risk damaging it. That is just how my luck usually is.
I understand that. I can't blame you for not wanting to risk it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
So true.

Looks great man! But does it have 350hp at WOT
Yes and when I switch lanes is scares the piss out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaundiced Outlook View Post
I mentioned these earlier in the thread, so I thought I'd provide some follow-up.

Those look good. When it comes time to get tail lights I'm definitely going with those.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #57
mikeyb74

login, My LED license plate bulbs seem brighter than yours.

What do you think about retrofitting both headlamp washers and rear PDC on my touring? Worth it or not?

Old 03-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #58
loginfailed

I still need to resolve the lighting difference left to right. Most LED kits for the license lights are pretty bright, so I'm not surprised yours are brighter.

I'm not too concerned with them being super bright, but I would like them to match from left to right. I think I can probably get them to match pretty good but it will take some experimenting though.

As far as retrofitting the rear PDC and headlamp washers... For me, I don't think its really worth the hassle. My Dynavin will have a rear camera which will mostly eliminate any need for PDC.

Headlamp washers are cool but I can't think of a time when they would have been useful in my area. My headlights already stay pretty clean for the most part.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #59
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
I thought I replied to this earlier...but my wagon came with PDC and I fell in love with it. The wagon is easy to back up and park...but the PDC really does help. It is so great, I retrofitted the sedan with oem pdc...the sedan is very hard to back in to a space or park in the garage, etc...i am always so worried about hitting something - I would end up leaving a huge gap...so the PDC makes life so much better.

I would like to add the backup camera to the wagon since it has the nav
Old 03-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #60
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Nice car and nice DIY work!!!

but did you keep the Amber Lamps!?

I love my amber lamps.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote