E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #21
toastygt30r

My Ride: 2002 330 ci
My car has 70,000 miles on it and the clutch is perfect. Although I do not chirp 2nd

toastygt30r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #22
mabubakr

My Ride: 1999 328i
My father passed down his 1999 328i to me recently and hes in search for a new car. He bought the 328i with around 70,000 miles and now it has close to 130,000 miles. Since driving the car ive noticed that sometimes its hard to put it into gear (any gear). For example, i shift from 2nd to 3rd and its hard to put it in 3rd. Also, sometimes ill shift and it wont stay in gear but instead will come back to neutral. One last thing, sometimes in 1st gear ill slowly let out the clutch and it will suddenly rev high (clutch slipping?). Seems pretty obvious, but do i need a new clutch?
Old 05-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #23
Oz Striker

My Ride: '00 330Ci, '07 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabubakr View Post
My father passed down his 1999 328i to me recently and hes in search for a new car. He bought the 328i with around 70,000 miles and now it has close to 130,000 miles. Since driving the car ive noticed that sometimes its hard to put it into gear (any gear). For example, i shift from 2nd to 3rd and its hard to put it in 3rd. Also, sometimes ill shift and it wont stay in gear but instead will come back to neutral. One last thing, sometimes in 1st gear ill slowly let out the clutch and it will suddenly rev high (clutch slipping?). Seems pretty obvious, but do i need a new clutch?
perhaps try changing the gearbox fluid first, that may help with the sticky gears..... but of course there are all the caveats of changing the fluid if its never been done before at that mileage.

My YouTube Channel incl Muffler delete vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/OzStryke...view_as=public

My blog on E46 DIYs & Mods http://lifewithabmw.blogspot.com/
Oz Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #24
mabubakr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Striker View Post
perhaps try changing the gearbox fluid first, that may help with the sticky gears..... but of course there are all the caveats of changing the fluid if its never been done before at that mileage.
i wouldn't be doing this myself, so how much should changing the gearbox fluid cost at the shop?
Old 05-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #25
jsilv36

My Ride: 325
i brought my own fluid (i got RP, works great) to my indy and he charged me 15 bucks. Its easier than an oil change. Literally drain and fill.
jsilv36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #26
Oz Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilv36 View Post
i brought my own fluid (i got RP, works great) to my indy and he charged me 15 bucks. Its easier than an oil change. Literally drain and fill.
+1 it really is dead easy, but i did do it at a local friendly garage who let me use their car ramp. Just remember to open the fill bolt first. The bolts can be difficult to get off, so a long breaker bar (if thats what you guys state side call them) gets them off easy as it gives you better leverage. And while your there you could do the diff oil as well.

2 quarts of Redline D4 ATF for manual transmission, and 2 quarts Redline 75W-90 NS for the diff is what i used for a 330. Royal purple also good, or you could just head down to the dealer and pick up the fluids from them.

My YouTube Channel incl Muffler delete vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/OzStryke...view_as=public

Old 05-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #27
mabubakr

Quote:
+1 it really is dead easy, but i did do it at a local friendly garage who let me use their car ramp. Just remember to open the fill bolt first. The bolts can be difficult to get off, so a long breaker bar (if thats what you guys state side call them) gets them off easy as it gives you better leverage. And while your there you could do the diff oil as well.

2 quarts of Redline D4 ATF for manual transmission, and 2 quarts Redline 75W-90 NS for the diff is what i used for a 330. Royal purple also good, or you could just head down to the dealer and pick up the fluids from them.
alright thanks for the information. ill go to the dealer and pick up the transmission/gearbox fluid and the differential fluid and have it done by the end of the week.

i'll let you guys know how it feels afterward
Old 06-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #28
Little Dragon

My Ride: E46s
Bumping this thread.
My clutch is feeling really weird lately.

I posted a thread here:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...023&highlight=
Little Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #29
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
259,457 on the original clutch still!!

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #30
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Sooooo . . . .my throwout bearing makes screeching noises towards the end of the day when i take it to the track.

I'm assuming this is casued by excess heat, as it always disapperas on the ride home.

Thoughts?
Kubica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #31
powerstrokenstang

My Ride: '00 328i
160k on mine, but i think the dmf pos is gettin about shot. kinda clunky at low speeds like backing up and such. i hate dmf. at least thats what i hope it is and not the trans lol. course i have never changed the fluid since i got it w/ 123k but its next on the to-do list.
2000 328i 4door 5spd-clear corners, markers, cdv delete, cai, lost resonator, bavauto race springs, koni adjustables, uuc race trans mounts, turner subframe reinforment kit and solid diff mounts, 3.46 gears, ebay headers, 3.0 intake manifold, 18's.
powerstrokenstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #32
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
This is what happened to me at 77k. no warning, wouldnt go into gear on starting one morning, clutch felt very light. got it into 1st by putting it in to gear then starting her up. Funny thing was about 2 weeks earlier i felt the clutch go a little "funny", it felt as though the engagement point changed slightly as i went into 3rd gear while some spirited driving, but it felt fine after.
It sounds to me like a Master cylinder rather then a clutch. If you havent looked at it in a while or at all, I recommend you do.
Master cylinders go out way more frequently then clutches do.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #33
Oz Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
Are you driving miss daisy?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
It sounds to me like a Master cylinder rather then a clutch. If you havent looked at it in a while or at all, I recommend you do.
Master cylinders go out way more frequently then clutches do.
But i had the clutch changed and all has been fine since.

Last edited by Oz Striker; 06-08-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #34
2001bmw330

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330i
177000 on original clutch and fine
2001bmw330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #35
bmwe46nyc

My Ride: 02 M3/01 330CI
Just make sure that if u r replacing clutch u replace flywheel @ d same time.
bmwe46nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:05 AM   #36
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
is that in kilometers??

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:08 AM   #37
GreekLSBm3

My Ride: drops panties
Send a message via AIM to GreekLSBm3
Mine chatters like a mofo! But mine is a heavy duty twin disc clutch so its normal. Kinda embarassing at times but oh wells
Old 06-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #38
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
is that in kilometers??
Nope Miles. I don't abuse my car and know how to drive!

No oil leaks either cold AC no need to recharge every year. The car is Mechanically mint.

I happen to know a good mechanic

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #39
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
It really depends how you drive it. Previous owner of my car (his daughter actually) burned the clutch within 40K. First thing I had to do after buying the car was to replace the clutch. Since I know how to drive I expect the new clutch to last at least 150K(miles)
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #40
powerstrokenstang

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekLSBm3 View Post
Mine chatters like a mofo! But mine is a heavy duty twin disc clutch so its normal. Kinda embarassing at times but oh wells
awesome. i call them chatter plates instead of floater plates lol.
2000 328i 4door 5spd-clear corners, markers, cdv delete, cai, lost resonator, bavauto race springs, koni adjustables, uuc race trans mounts, turner subframe reinforment kit and solid diff mounts, 3.46 gears, ebay headers, 3.0 intake manifold, 18's.
powerstrokenstang is offline   Reply With Quote