E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
terrymckitrick

My Ride: 1994 325ic
Mass air flow sensor exploded

I was driving down a ramp into an underground parking garage yesterday when the oil light came on, and a few seconds later, here was a loud noise about the same volume as a shotgun blast, there was a burning smell, and the car stopped running. I coasted into a parking spot and checked the oil (it was full). Engine temperature was normal right up to that point. The car would start, but would not idle. I didn't try reving the engine, as I was afraid of hurting it. The car was running perfectly up to that point. It would occasionally surge slightly when cold, varying between 600 and 1000 rpm, and was slightly slow to return to idle, particularly when cold, but had never stalled before. I had it towed to a repair shop, where the problem was electronically diagnosed to be the mass air flow sensor. I have never heard of any sort of sensor exploding. Is there something more sinister going on here?

Terry McKitrick
1994 325ic

Last edited by terrymckitrick; 05-15-2010 at 05:20 PM.
terrymckitrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
NaZty NaZe One!

My Ride: 02' 330ci "Ebony"
Send a message via AIM to NaZty NaZe One!
crazy..i bought an aftermarket MAF meter hoping to replace my old one. but ive been getting some issues for example when comming to a stop the car shuts off. anyone got an idea what it might be? im assuming the MAf meter. as it wasnt happening before i replaced it.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:45 AM   #3
MUNDA

My Ride: BMW 328CI
It sounds like your carr backfired unburnt fuel?
MUNDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZty NaZe One! View Post
crazy..i bought an aftermarket MAF meter hoping to replace my old one. but ive been getting some issues for example when comming to a stop the car shuts off. anyone got an idea what it might be? im assuming the MAf meter. as it wasnt happening before i replaced it.
cam pos sensor
Old 05-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
terrymckitrick

Mass air sensor/air tube.

The problem I had was the mass air flow sensor. When it went, there was a backfire which took out the vacuum hose to the manifold. I replaced both the hose and the mass air sensor. The car now runs fine, but my mechanic warned me that the adaptor for the air tube is broken, also need replacing. My check engine light is on, and the code is for the mass air sensor, which is new, so it is probably originating from the air tube. Apparently this part only comes with the intake assembly, and is expensive. Does anyone know where I can get this without the full assembly?
Old 05-25-2010, 02:02 AM   #6
komet

My Ride: E36 M3
I had ecxactly the same thing happen to me the other day, driving along then bang like a gunshot, was the maf sensor, replaced it all good, didnt blow any air hose though.
komet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
terrymckitrick

The check engine light went out and has stayed off for a few days. Hopefully everything is o.k. now.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Shawn90gt

My Ride: BMW 330CI
My car when I bought it had the tube behind the mass air flow sensor was ripped which I knew. It had a K&N filter, and my mechanic said to change that because it was damaging the mass air flow sensor. Well, what he didnt mention was the intake tubing was missing, and since I have realized this what can I do? I mean there is no tube for the air to go into the air flow box, but an open hole, so anyone got any ideas? The car ran fine for a month when I got it, and then died one day took it to the mechanic and he cleaned the sensor and replaced the ripped tube, but still didnt mention the intake tube was missing. The other night it died on me so I have a car that wont build up rpms over 1500 now, and wont idle or anything else, so is there anything you guys can offer to help me? It's a 330CI 2001. It's a beautiful car, and ran fine until this recent event the other day. I bought it knowing it needed a new valve cover gasket, and belt, and the one tube he mentioned. So how important is the other tube, and any help you guys could offer on what the problem is would be great is the sir flow sensor dirty again so quickly because it is missing the intake tube or what? I read about the fuel filter being replaced on one of the other threads, and bought a filter and plan to tackle that tomorrow. I just finished cleaning the air flow sensor and I waiting on it to dry now and see if that helped the problem, and if so does this mean it was just the mass air flow sensor or what? Also, so should it be happening every two months or is that just because of the missing intake tube? I replaced the K&N with a wick air filter, and I was about to upgrade the chip in the car and do some other performance upgrades, but I am afraid to if this is going to be more then small mass air flow sensor and fuel filter replacement then I dont know if I want to go through with it. If it helps I was driving down the road and went through a puddle of water and it splashed water all over the car and it drove another thirty minutes and started idleing funny and died. Then it would start and idle okay but wouldnt rev over 1500 rpms. Now it won't start or if it does it dies quickly. Anyhow, please any insight would be great.
Shawn90gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, exploded, flow, mass, sensor