E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 05:05 AM   #21
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
damn i'm late.
anyway, happy to see that you're happy with the kit!
In for et +trap

2001 330ci TT turbo
1992 240sx coupe
bluejeansonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #22
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Back from my first day at the drag strip.

First run: 15.7 manual shifting with steptronic.

The rest of the runs I ran in either sport mode, or started in manual shift (to keep in 1rst gear for launch) then shifted into "D". (Drive)

I launched on the brake with the engine at roughly 2000 RPM, then floored it off the line. There was a little tire spin, as I was running out of the groove, but the car hooked up pretty quick and was off.

60ft times were in the 2.3s consistently.

Average: 15.15 @ 92.5 MPH.

I did run a bit quicker...but I feel a tail wind was the cause.

The shift from 2nd to 3rd gear is definitely a weak point for this transmission. It basically bounces against the rev limiter before it shifts and I can feel the car "nosing over" before 3rd engages. Perhaps the ESS steptronic software might address this?

Next will be the 4.10 diff, then I might try the software. (Drag strip tested at each step of course)

Back to the track again tomorrow.

PS. This car may be much much slower than my 330Ci, but it was super fun to be at the track and not worrying about breaking stuff or prep'ing the car for the next pass.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #23
Ant Anthem

My Ride: 2003.5 M3 SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Back from my first day at the drag strip.

First run: 15.7 manual shifting with steptronic.

The rest of the runs I ran in either sport mode, or started in manual shift (to keep in 1rst gear for launch) then shifted into "D". (Drive)

I launched on the brake with the engine at roughly 2000 RPM, then floored it off the line. There was a little tire spin, as I was running out of the groove, but the car hooked up pretty quick and was off.

60ft times were in the 2.3s consistently.

Average: 15.15 @ 92.5 MPH.

I did run a bit quicker...but I feel a tail wind was the cause.

The shift from 2nd to 3rd gear is definitely a weak point for this transmission. It basically bounces against the rev limiter before it shifts and I can feel the car "nosing over" before 3rd engages. Perhaps the ESS steptronic software might address this?

Next will be the 4.10 diff, then I might try the software. (Drag strip tested at each step of course)

Back to the track again tomorrow.

PS. This car may be much much slower than my 330Ci, but it was super fun to be at the track and not worrying about breaking stuff or prep'ing the car for the next pass.
wow thats horrible times lol

Edit: Just realized this was on your stock 330i
Ant Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #24
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Anthem View Post
wow thats horrible times lol

Edit: Just realized this was on your stock 330i
Yup, stock 330i with auto transmission 1/2 tank of fuel, and even the spare tire still in the trunk.

FYI, the 2010 Honda Civic SI runs 15.2 with a manual transmission. Most "street" cars are in the 15s or 16s. Even the early 90s V8 Camaro/Firebirds run 16s now, and 15s when new.

I've seen a good many people humbled taking their car to the drag strip....
Old 05-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #25
Ant Anthem

My Ride: 2003.5 M3 SG
Quote:
Yup, stock 330i with auto transmission 1/2 tank of fuel, and even the spare tire still in the trunk.

FYI, the 2010 Honda Civic SI runs 15.2 with a manual transmission. Most "street" cars are in the 15s or 16s. Even the early 90s V8 Camaro/Firebirds run 16s now, and 15s when new.

I've seen a good many people humbled taking their car to the drag strip....
My 2006 RSX type-s ran a 14.6 1/4 mile with just a ram air intake......just saying....but so many factors come into play at the strip that affects your times, could be your tires, how you are launching, and the fact that you put it into drive after launching in 1st gear steptronic mode.
Ant Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #26
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
WOOT! I can't wait to see the Results

-TrippinBimmer
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #27
lllSupra

My Ride: E46 330i
Quote:
Have you ever seen this kit in person before being installed?
I know every part it includes as well as where to get them. And the piping will have to be custom if I do it myself which wouldn't cost much for me. I've looked into the build and plan on doing a turbo setup sooner than later.
lllSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #28
Marcb2g

My Ride: E46///M3
Finally someone said "turbo" and its not an M3 or manual transmission, cant wait to see the results.
Marcb2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #29
NaZty NaZe One!

My Ride: 02' 330ci "Ebony"
Send a message via AIM to NaZty NaZe One!
thanks for building this car. ive yet to hear anyone doing it...great inspiration for future enthusiasts, like myself.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #30
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllSupra View Post
I know every part it includes as well as where to get them. And the piping will have to be custom if I do it myself which wouldn't cost much for me. I've looked into the build and plan on doing a turbo setup sooner than later.
I'm very well connected for sourcing parts as well, so I like to think of Technique Tuning as the Turbo concierge service for the E46.

I would be very interested in seeing a detailed build thread including costs for your project. Of the 30 or so "Custom E46 Turbo" threads posted here, only a handful of people have followed through.(Most ran stand alone EMS systems) I had a custom N/A tune done for my 330Ci, and it was a lot more than $1400.....

What I find really amusing is that every time someone posts something negative about a TT kit, I'm even more impressed with the engineering involved.

Oh, and today's drag racing activities went very well. Learned a lot more about the automatic transmission. I definitely think it needs better control software, and it will probably get a dedicated fluid cooler with a temp activated fan. I think I'd like to get the tranny stuff sorted before the turbo goes on....but that's just me....super picky.

Last edited by PEI330Ci; 05-23-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #31
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcb2g View Post
Finally someone said "turbo" and its not an M3 or manual transmission, cant wait to see the results.
I'm very excited about this too. So far the car has been pretty fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZty NaZe One! View Post
thanks for building this car. ive yet to hear anyone doing it...great inspiration for future enthusiasts, like myself.
Thanks.

As most probably know, I like to do different things....
Old 05-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #32
battaM3

My Ride: 2003 m3
I had my smg hpf car in auto once. Mash the peddle and all most smacked my face of steering wheel. Lol. Boost kicks in then it shifts. Just thought I share that funny story.
battaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #33
mkodama

I'm happy to see my car gets a second life.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #34
lllSupra

Not hating on TT at all but for tuning I have been talking to a guy in the UK that works for a shop that tunes porsche and bmw. He said he would be willing to fly down here and tune our cars if I supply a dyno for him to use. 1500$ for a tune
Old 05-24-2010, 12:46 AM   #35
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
Quote:
Not hating on TT at all but for tuning I have been talking to a guy in the UK that works for a shop that tunes porsche and bmw. He said he would be willing to fly down here and tune our cars if I supply a dyno for him to use. 1500$ for a tune
Ok - so do it?
Old 05-24-2010, 02:52 AM   #36
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWeisse View Post
Ok - so do it?
lllsupra is in high school and "has things covered in terms of money". He is totally going to follow through with what he said online. You should never doubt him.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:59 AM   #37
lllSupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
lllsupra is in high school and "has things covered in terms of money". He is totally going to follow through with what he said online. You should never doubt him.

Been out of high school for a year now . Not in a rush atm for it, I have 4-6k I could blow on it right now if I wanted too so I have the money for it. I'm only 19 and this is my first car... Still deciding on whether or not to do a turbo build. I'm just trying to say that it obviously doesn't cost 7k to build this kit and tune it as tt wouldn't make profit. I'd say they make about 3-4k a kit. I know who makes the manifold and everything else and exactly what is needed, and of course the biggest factor for these cars is the tuning. Well I know how much that would be too... I'm not just trying to start an argument for the hell of it, I know what I am talking about.

Last edited by lllSupra; 05-24-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #38
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Been out of high school for a year now . Not in a rush atm for it, I have 4-6k I could blow on it right now if I wanted too so I have the money for it. I'm only 19 and this is my first car... Still deciding on whether or not to do a turbo build. I'm just trying to say that it obviously doesn't cost 7k to build this kit and tune it as tt wouldn't make profit. I'd say they make about 3-4k a kit. I know who makes the manifold and everything else and exactly what is needed, and of course the biggest factor for these cars is the tuning. Well I know how much that would be too... I'm not just trying to start an argument for the hell of it, I know what I am talking about.
If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

One great thing about the Technique Tuning kit is that you can install it in a weekend on a daily driver. Building your own stuff, and I've done a bit of this, means getting a new daily driver while your car is torn apart custom fitting piping ect....

Why don't you start a new build thread for your project so we can keep this thread on topic?

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:20 AM   #39
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
PEI, is your automatic just rebuilt or rebuilt and beefed up? I wonder how stock auto would handle boost.

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?

Last edited by Hrvat; 05-24-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: PEI! Not PIE lol
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #40
lllSupra

Quote:
If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

One great thing about the Technique Tuning kit is that you can install it in a weekend on a daily driver. Building your own stuff, and I've done a bit of this, means getting a new daily driver while your car is torn apart custom fitting piping ect....

Why don't you start a new build thread for your project so we can keep this thread on topic?

Thanks.
Agreed sorry man, I am eager to see the results as I currently have an auto as well