E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #41
Novare330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: orlando, FL
Posts: 3,915
My Ride: AA s/c AMBULAMPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrvat View Post
PIE, is your automatic just rebuilt or rebuilt and beefed up? I wonder how stock auto would handle boost.
i think it might be a stock transmission with stock Torque converter
__________________
- Stan Peng -
EUROPROJEKTZ Southeast | Co-Director


Quote:
Originally Posted by drbworld View Post
Need some opinion. Stock Titanium Silver coupe without spoiler, using the 2 Fast 2 furious skyline vinyl scheme. What do you think, do it or not? plus, i think it would look better then what most car members have here.
Novare330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #42
aggieE46
Keep it clean
 
aggieE46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Royse City
Posts: 8,038
My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Really looking forward to more in this thread. Great times for a stock car with an auto! Can't wait to see how it progresses.
__________________
aggieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #43
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,963
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrvat View Post
PEI, is your automatic just rebuilt or rebuilt and beefed up? I wonder how stock auto would handle boost.
It's a completely stock steptronic 5 speed. A lot of people are curious about this transmission, I hope to find a few answers.

I have a manual transmission sitting in my shop if things don't work out....
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #44
Hrvat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada, eh
Posts: 2,772
My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
I guess time will tell how it will hold up and if anyone is gonna test durability of something that will be you I say this because didn't you snap an axle which just don't really ever breaks? LOL

If it ever fails and you want it made bullet proof, check out these guys
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/bmwauto.shtml

I believe there are couple members here that have IPT Built Autos
__________________

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #45
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,963
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrvat View Post
I guess time will tell how it will hold up and if anyone is gonna test durability of something that will be you I say this because didn't you snap an axle which just don't really ever breaks? LOL

If it ever fails and you want it made bullet proof, check out these guys
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/bmwauto.shtml

I believe there are couple members here that have IPT Built Autos
Thanks for the link, I would be interesting in hearing from other members with experience with this product via PM.

I actually broke 2 axles, and an a diff output flange on separate occasions. The trick here was have slicks that let me launch super hard....
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #46
332xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: haymarket, va
Posts: 142
My Ride: too fast e46/330xi
i've got a completely rebuilt trans from ipt... there's an option for a semi-rebuild, but i opted to go all out and have them cryo all the parts, too. also got the high stall, upgraded tc and valve bodies, too.

shifts like a bat out of hell! just waiting to see if the ess trans software will help any. still trying to recoup my funds from the rebuild and such, so i'm waiting on that...

i haven't dyno'd the car in a couple of years, but i'm pushing 13 lbs of boost on a built motor with lots of other mods.

i've got an additional tranny cooler, as well. although, there's no fan on mine, as you mentioned that you would get on yours.

you can pm me if you have any questions.
332xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #47
Novare330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: orlando, FL
Posts: 3,915
My Ride: AA s/c AMBULAMPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 332xi View Post
i've got a completely rebuilt trans from ipt... there's an option for a semi-rebuild, but i opted to go all out and have them cryo all the parts, too. also got the high stall, upgraded tc and valve bodies, too.

shifts like a bat out of hell! just waiting to see if the ess trans software will help any. still trying to recoup my funds from the rebuild and such, so i'm waiting on that...

i haven't dyno'd the car in a couple of years, but i'm pushing 13 lbs of boost on a built motor with lots of other mods.

i've got an additional tranny cooler, as well. although, there's no fan on mine, as you mentioned that you would get on yours.

you can pm me if you have any questions.
if you dont mind me asking, whats a ball park figure as to how much IPT would charge for a similar build?
__________________
- Stan Peng -
EUROPROJEKTZ Southeast | Co-Director


Quote:
Originally Posted by drbworld View Post
Need some opinion. Stock Titanium Silver coupe without spoiler, using the 2 Fast 2 furious skyline vinyl scheme. What do you think, do it or not? plus, i think it would look better then what most car members have here.
Novare330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #48
BimmerDude18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DeLand Florida
Posts: 2,910
My Ride: 1998 528i
Stan....fist shake....all I'm saying.
__________________
-Tyler

1998 528i 5-speed Work in progress
1988 Toyota Pickup (4WD 5-speed) daily
2007 San Marino Blue 350z 6-speed sold
1996 328i 5-speed sold


www.e46nonM.com - www.precision-sport.com - www.flyingwindowtinters.com - www.techniquetuning.com
BimmerDude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #49
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,963
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
I baselined the car on the dyno today: 181rwhp

We couldn't get an accurate peak torque value.

The problem with dyno'ing an automatic is that it wants to downshift when you floor it, even when you have it in manual mode. It took a few pulls, but eventually we found the trick to getting a pull in 3rd gear. We started in 3rd gear at 3500 RPM, went WOT and the tranny goes to 2nd gear, then when it shifts into 3rd gear after reaching 6500 RPM we start logging the pull. The result is a "pull" from roughly 5200 RPM up, clearly above the engine's peak torque area of 3500 RPM. So no torque reading until I get new transmission software.....
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #50
02PRUV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,793
My Ride: E46 M3 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
I baselined the car on the dyno today: 181rwhp

We couldn't get an accurate peak torque value.

The problem with dyno'ing an automatic is that it wants to downshift when you floor it, even when you have it in manual mode. It took a few pulls, but eventually we found the trick to getting a pull in 3rd gear. We started in 3rd gear at 3500 RPM, went WOT and the tranny goes to 2nd gear, then when it shifts into 3rd gear after reaching 6500 RPM we start logging the pull. The result is a "pull" from roughly 5200 RPM up, clearly above the engine's peak torque area of 3500 RPM. So no torque reading until I get new transmission software.....
Or you could just not press the pedal at 100% at the start. Then you won't trigger the kickdown switch. 90% throttle until the revs go past the kickdown point will get you a ruff torque figure if that's all you want to do.
__________________
Rides:

BMW E46 M3 Turbo 570rwhp @18psi (old setup)
BMW E46 M3 LSX 427ci 800hp N/A
Ultima GTR LSX 440ci 800hp N/A
VY SS Ute Turbo 1004.6rwhp @ 28psi E85
Ford Escort Mk2 2JZGTE 600rwhp @14 psi
04 Yamaha R1 154.3rwhp
ISUZU FZR550 tilt tray (GT35 Turbo)
02PRUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #51
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,963
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02PRUV View Post
Or you could just not press the pedal at 100% at the start. Then you won't trigger the kickdown switch. 90% throttle until the revs go past the kickdown point will get you a ruff torque figure if that's all you want to do.
Nice idea.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:46 PM   #52
hi its me alec
Registered User
 
hi its me alec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 15,123
My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Clearly you don't have much experience pretending your automatic is a manual. Consider yourself lucky. I bet I could do some wicked autotragic dyno pulls =/
__________________
WTB: Complete e46 M3 rear end

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #53
NickG@TechniqueTuning
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 271
My Ride: E46 330ci Turbo
As was mentioned, don't step down on the throttle to engage the kickdown switch. The way I do a pull is:

- put tranny in manual mode
- slowly accelerate and get the transmission into 4th gear
- starting from 2000rpm, slowly roll into the throttle. You should feel the torque converter 'lock' during this throttle transitioning
- start recording the run

The above procedure works on my '05 ZHP Steptronic. If you don't let the torque converter lock early in the run, then midway through it will and you'll see a large jump/difference in the power when it finally does.
NickG@TechniqueTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:58 AM   #54
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,963
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG@TechniqueTuning View Post
As was mentioned, don't step down on the throttle to engage the kickdown switch. The way I do a pull is:

- put tranny in manual mode
- slowly accelerate and get the transmission into 4th gear
- starting from 2000rpm, slowly roll into the throttle. You should feel the torque converter 'lock' during this throttle transitioning
- start recording the run

The above procedure works on my '05 ZHP Steptronic. If you don't let the torque converter lock early in the run, then midway through it will and you'll see a large jump/difference in the power when it finally does.
Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can apply it to the next dyno session.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #55
332xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: haymarket, va
Posts: 142
My Ride: too fast e46/330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novare330 View Post
if you dont mind me asking, whats a ball park figure as to how much IPT would charge for a similar build?
it's a killer...... almost 5grand when done. that's shipping back and forth included. if you can spare the cash, it's definitely worth it.

it's rated for 600hp/tq, so you can throw as much as you can on at it! it's like a drag tranny... kinda (no pun intended)
332xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #56
TrippinBimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ridgeland, MS
Posts: 5,377
My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG@TechniqueTuning View Post
As was mentioned, don't step down on the throttle to engage the kickdown switch. The way I do a pull is:

- put tranny in manual mode
- slowly accelerate and get the transmission into 4th gear
- starting from 2000rpm, slowly roll into the throttle. You should feel the torque converter 'lock' during this throttle transitioning
- start recording the run

The above procedure works on my '05 ZHP Steptronic. If you don't let the torque converter lock early in the run, then midway through it will and you'll see a large jump/difference in the power when it finally does.
Very Good Info...Maybe why I got weird #'s. I will also try this the next time I go.

-TrippinBimmer
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #57
Novare330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: orlando, FL
Posts: 3,915
My Ride: AA s/c AMBULAMPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDude18 View Post
Stan....fist shake....all I'm saying.
disregard... ... just considering all options, 6 speed is cheaper though

when are you gonna be able to wire my gauges lol
__________________
- Stan Peng -
EUROPROJEKTZ Southeast | Co-Director


Quote:
Originally Posted by drbworld View Post
Need some opinion. Stock Titanium Silver coupe without spoiler, using the 2 Fast 2 furious skyline vinyl scheme. What do you think, do it or not? plus, i think it would look better then what most car members have here.
Novare330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #58
BimmerDude18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DeLand Florida
Posts: 2,910
My Ride: 1998 528i
Call me.
__________________
-Tyler

1998 528i 5-speed Work in progress
1988 Toyota Pickup (4WD 5-speed) daily
2007 San Marino Blue 350z 6-speed sold
1996 328i 5-speed sold


www.e46nonM.com - www.precision-sport.com - www.flyingwindowtinters.com - www.techniquetuning.com
BimmerDude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #59
BadBoostedBmwM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Louisville
Posts: 911
My Ride: 323i & e36 Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 332xi View Post
i've got a completely rebuilt trans from ipt... there's an option for a semi-rebuild, but i opted to go all out and have them cryo all the parts, too. also got the high stall, upgraded tc and valve bodies, too.

shifts like a bat out of hell! just waiting to see if the ess trans software will help any. still trying to recoup my funds from the rebuild and such, so i'm waiting on that...

i haven't dyno'd the car in a couple of years, but i'm pushing 13 lbs of boost on a built motor with lots of other mods.

i've got an additional tranny cooler, as well. although, there's no fan on mine, as you mentioned that you would get on yours.

you can pm me if you have any questions.

Okay, you have AWD 330 and 13lbs of boost running through a built motor, so we need more specs and VIDEOS.

Im definitely interested in this ITP setup.
__________________
This is my signature....
BadBoostedBmwM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #60
BadBoostedBmwM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Louisville
Posts: 911
My Ride: 323i & e36 Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG@TechniqueTuning View Post
As was mentioned, don't step down on the throttle to engage the kickdown switch. The way I do a pull is:

- put tranny in manual mode
- slowly accelerate and get the transmission into 4th gear
- starting from 2000rpm, slowly roll into the throttle. You should feel the torque converter 'lock' during this throttle transitioning
- start recording the run

The above procedure works on my '05 ZHP Steptronic. If you don't let the torque converter lock early in the run, then midway through it will and you'll see a large jump/difference in the power when it finally does.
Nick, how do you get in to "lock" so early??
__________________
This is my signature....
BadBoostedBmwM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use