E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Keith Billanti

My Ride: TitanSilber//M3
Installed a Rotora 4 piston caliper set, and Bimmerbrakes crossdrilled/slotted rotors

As the title says-- Today- I spent the afternoon putting a Rotora BBK on my M3 as well as a brand new set of crossdrilled and slotted rotors from Bimmerbrakes.

Unfortunately, by the time I got a chance to get the camera, the sun was about done for the day and didnt show the brakes off like i wanted..

While I was under there- i also removed the lower pads from the front and rear springs. I wanted just a slight drop from stock. I got it. I was originally going to do just the lower fronts- THEEENNN I was going to do the uppers and lowers in the front, and the lower rear-- well... I settled on just the lowers as the upper fronts look a little more important than the rest.

NOW-- back to the BBK-- when i first took a ride- i couldnt believe how noisy these are. Its- uhm.. obscene. I should be clear- i picked up the calipers 2nd hand-- and they came with 3 sets of pads.. Road pads from Hawk- stock rotora pads-- and a set of PF01's. I used the Hawks.. which should be the most versatile.. ALL of the pads had a ton of meat on them. I think I have bedded them in pretty well. I have probably put about 30 miles on the car... with varying stops.. some 80 to 10.. mostly 60 to 30 or 60 to 10.. but a bunch of them.. and then some normal driving.. They are getting better- but still, quite noisy. I noticed that on the last 80 to 10 i did.. there was NO noise at all.. but I have driven a bit since- and its still there under normal braking.

I will stay this stuff looks sick. THe Bimmerbrakes rotors are gorgeous. I took the time to paint the centers of the rotor so they dont turn ugly... and with these calipers-- man.. smokin'.

Anyone have a suggestion on the noise??

heres a few pics...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Keith Billanti; 05-10-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Keith Billanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
BimmerBrakes
The Brake Newbie!

My Ride: 2005 ZHP BMW
Send a message via AIM to BimmerBrakes
KB,

NEED BETTER PICS! Oh BTW no need for Painting the Rotors. They are Silver Zinc Coated for Rust Protection I would give the Rotor about 200 miles before bed-in them in. So the Coating can wear off. It will make some Swoosh Noises for the first Couple of Miles and will go away.

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
BimmerBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I have PF01 pads and my car sounds like a garbage truck...and I LOVE IT!

What compound are the hawks?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
Keith Billanti

Oh- i know that whoosh sound.. I heard that.... That just sounds like.. uhm... dritbike brakes when theyre fresh... the noise im concerned with is the loud shrill= that sounds like a dump truck coming to a stop.. its gruesome.

Pics- yah, the sun was practically down for these shots. I find its best to take car pics with them last rays of the day (or first, if your hardcore).. but i definitely missed the prime time by about 20-30 min..

What is super awesome is that I am on vacation for the whole week- and rain is in the forecast for the rest of the week. I might run out in a few minutes to grap a couple shots before the clouds roll in..
Old 05-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Cinna

My Ride: M3C
Send a message via AIM to Cinna
are you sure you put the hawk street pads in? because I"ve run those several times and never had a squeak out of them.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
Keith Billanti

few more morning pics before the sun runs away for a few days.. I will say that the squeal seems to be diminishing. I didnt go much over 30mph on this little around the neighborhood trip= so it was all low speed... and I think I only heard a couple squeals... Also- much happier with these pics, even though theyre nothing spectacular. At least one can see the calipers now..

Hawk pads-- dont know what compound. I have the boxes.. ill post part numbers later. Also- previous owner said the hawks were in the rears and in this specific box. The rotora pads are in the hawk boxes and the PF01's are in their box.. SO- i installed accordingly.

heres some pics of my gruesome wheels..

Last edited by Keith Billanti; 05-11-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Fuerza

My Ride: XXX
Those look really nice! How much were they, I checked bimmerbrakes.com and didn't see them listed?
Fuerza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
Keith Billanti

The rotors? theyre on BimmerBrakes.. the Calipers I SCORED from another forum. Lets just say I paid less for this set of 4, that a front only set would cost.

I want to upgrade to 355mm fronts--
Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
Kringkily

My Ride: e46 m3 convertible
if im not correct arent u supposed to bed them in doing 100-0 stops 3 times?
Kringkily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
Keith Billanti

Maybe.. but round' hea' speed limit, on roads where there is no traffic- is generally 55.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
Kringkily

My Ride: e46 m3 convertible
yeah but you wanna bed em in correctly along with your rotors. just find a road where no cops are on and go quick 0-100-0 then wait a little and then do it 2 more times with a break in each session.
Kringkily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
BimmerBrakes
The Brake Newbie!

My Ride: 2005 ZHP BMW
Send a message via AIM to BimmerBrakes
KB,

Looks like its almost time for Bed-in. The Rotor will Turn a Dark Deepish Purple when Completed...

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
BimmerBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #13
Keith Billanti

Anthony,

Cool-- yah, ill be playing more with it today. Is it possible to find a 355mm rotor that isnt a grand? 1 piece is fine. If i could locate them- I could make my own brackets
Old 05-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #14
ICrazyChrisI

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330CI
The squealing sound will not go away. I had their 330mm 2-Piece BBK kit on my Scion installed at Rotora's HQ in Chino, CA, and they could not find the source of the noise. Tried switching pads, calipers, and rotors...no luck. Long story short, when I tried to get my money back from the vendor, they said too much time had passed, and I got stuck with the kit. What a waste of $1800.
ICrazyChrisI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #15
cnotesdip

My Ride: 330ci
i guess the noise is normal i just installed my wilwood set and there's a slight grinding noise while i brake and sometimes when i drive it has gotten better with my driving i try to brake spray to stop the noise but it still making noise
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #16
Keith Billanti

It got real bad today... and now when i press the pedal- I can hear a noise from the left front caliper.. like a clicking/crunching.

I am tearing the thing apart tomorrow afternoon and putting the rotora pads in.. We will see.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #17
fordy9r

My Ride: 2001 330i
I had replaced rotors on a new passat with cross drilled Brembo rotors and couldn't believe how noisy they were. After about 2k I ended up taking them off and going back to the stock rotors. The friend who I gave the Brembos to is a bit hard of hearing and asked me about the noise as well - go figure. If I were replacing rotors, I would only go to slotted as the drilled rotors are weakened as well (don't shoot me; and no I don't remember where I read that).
fordy9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #18
Keith Billanti

Any time you start drilling holes, of course your going to lose some structural integrity. Im sure an engineer has gone through a bit designing and then testing these products. No worries with the strength of them.

Perhaps it is the rotors, though. I mean- just thinking out loud- but perhaps the material removed has caused the rotor to resonate.. hmm. never even crossed my mind. I know just how to investigate this one

Keith
Old 05-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #19
fordy9r

My Ride: 2001 330i
I was curious about your experience with Rotora as they are made in Taiwan. What had you heard about them?
fordy9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #20
Keith Billanti

Made in Taiwan- huh?

Had no idea.

Honestly-- I dont know as of now. I know of people who have zero noise and are happy- and then others with my same issue. I dont know what to call it- and i CAN tell you that the rep at Rotora is not of much assistance.

IF they dont want to help a brotha out on getting this rememdied--- there is going to be one hell of a YouTube video showing off the AWESOME noise that comes with your new Rotora set.