E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
GregPeterson

My Ride: 2002 325i
Cold Engine Noise / Video

For about 2 weeks now I've had this god awful whistle / squeaking noise when the engine is cold. Once the engine is warmed up, most of the noise goes away. It is very inconsistent, sometimes it's RPM related and sometimes its not. The noise just seems to come and go randomly. I've checked the belts and pulleys visually and all is normal. Has anyone else experienced this type of noise and any thoughts or ideas? Oh, the noise starts at the 14 second mark.

Thanks!

Video:

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Sounds bad. Get a hose stick one end in ear and the other around your engine...careful of belts and moving things.

Sounds like that don't seem like a whistle (as in air leak) as it does of a pulley bearing being bad. Check pulleys with hose, you'll find the one gone bad...could be any of them. BTW, was your ac on at the time? If so, turn it off and see if that does anything...that'd take two pulleys out of the equation.

And, when you find the bad pulley and replace it, take the next step and replace belts...and if it's waterpump, depending on what you've done to cooling system and your mileage, you might want to move ahead with a cooling system overhaul...and don't just fix the problem now, but fix the ones that you'll have eventually if you don't do any cooling work. Many threads, many recommendations, many sponsors with pre-made kits. If over 150K, then do radiator too (mine lasted to 195K, but doubt all would).

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
Dgwapito

My Ride: 325ci
We have the same problem let me know when you fix yours. Thanks
Dgwapito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
stockmwk

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
that is atrocious.

i second the pulley, just as dmax mentioned. however i'm confused on how you recommended to test them?

and if it is a pulley, its deff. on its last leg, you'll want to get it out of them before it seizes and takes your belt with it, among other possible problems.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmwk View Post
that is atrocious.

i second the pulley, just as dmax mentioned. however i'm confused on how you recommended to test them?

and if it is a pulley, its deff. on its last leg, you'll want to get it out of them before it seizes and takes your belt with it, among other possible problems.
I seem to mention the hose idea once a week, so am getting it streamlined.

What I meant is to take a 4' hose (I like 1" d flexible electrical conduit--heavy stuff, easy to control around the fan and belt and insulates well against sound that isn't right in front of it.

Stick one end of hose in ear...other around car...you'll be able to tell which pulley (assuming it is one (could be SAP being really bad since it's at start up...but kinda doubt it). Anyway, it's a poor man's stethoscope...and better and more effective than putting a screwdriver on it...since that's kind of hard to do with moving pulley inches from a spinning fan. Anyway, you'll hear which thing is making the sound and won't be confused by something nearby. I hear noises, use hose to isolate. Also, much better than the hundreds of videos that get the sound of the noise, but not location.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 05-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
stockmwk

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post

What I meant is to take a 4' hose (I like 1" d flexible electrical conduit--heavy stuff, easy to control around the fan and belt and insulates well against sound that isn't right in front of it.

Stick one end of hose in ear...other around car...you'll be able to tell which pulley (assuming it is one (could be SAP being really bad since it's at start up...but kinda doubt it). Anyway, it's a poor man's stethoscope...and better and more effective than putting a screwdriver on it...since that's kind of hard to do with moving pulley inches from a spinning fan. Anyway, you'll hear which thing is making the sound and won't be confused by something nearby. I hear noises, use hose to isolate. Also, much better than the hundreds of videos that get the sound of the noise, but not location.

i knew i liked you
Old 05-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
TX_Bullet

My Ride: 2001 325Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post

You are a dam mad scientist!! We call these ideas red-neck engineering
Number of Destroyed Newb Destroyers- 1
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
TX_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #8
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmwk View Post

i knew i liked you
Send women, don't tell my wife!

After receipt of same, will share more brilliant ideas!

A recent set

Old 05-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #9
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Bullet View Post
You are a dam mad scientist!! We call these ideas red-neck engineering
The hose idea wasn't mine originally, and I'm pretty sure I got it from another fanatic...

I thought red-neck engineers worked on things like hard hats with beer cans and hoses? What other engineering feats are credited to those with red necks...I'm a little to afraid what I'll hear!

"What did the fish say when it hit a wall?"

Dam

A recent set

Old 05-23-2010, 01:27 AM   #10
maxxed

My Ride: 330Ci and 335i
Hell yea that is one of the best ways to isolate noise!

Another redneck trick you can hold a screw driver in the palm of your hand, put your ear to your palm, and you hold the screw driver over different areas ot the valve cover.

Works great for identifying the ticking from jacked up lifters or other OHC parts.

Last edited by maxxed; 05-23-2010 at 01:31 AM.
maxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:30 PM   #11
Dgwapito

My Ride: 325ci
bump
Dgwapito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:05 AM   #12
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
lol. Dmax is cool!
I can here the dry bearings of the pulleys under that metallic whining so you need to do the Tensioner and Idle pulley asap.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #13
GregPeterson

My Ride: 2002 325i
Just got back from vacation. Thanks for all the info! I haven't done any more trouble shooting yet. However, since posting the video, the noise has been cut by 2/3. It still makes the noise when cold, but not nearly as bad, and once warm ........... nothing ...... normal. Looks like I need to remove the fan shroud and air intake ducting in order to use the "hose method". Way to tight, heck I can hardly see any of the pulleys. Thanks again!

Greg
Old 08-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #14
E46BimmerLover

My Ride: 2001 325Ci ZPP/ZSP
Mine makes the same noise, after checking each pulley (using a mechanic scope or taking pressure of the belt and spinning each pulley to see if there is wiggle or they spin freely.)I found it was my Tension Pulley bearings, after research, you may be able to track them down online but it would have to be the old mechanical setup, they are now reccomending the newer hydraulic tensioner setup. Im about to fix this problem once my pulley gets here...Hope that helped, i know its been a year but someone will probably run into this thread also with the problem after my post.
E46BimmerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #15
dmax

Wow, I almost made sense back then!

Also, readers, note that the sound is indicative of pulleys, yes, but you have two tensioners and the idler pulley. I think that raspiness is probably because it's a tensioner, but I don't know.

I can use my hose against pulleys fine without removing shroud...and I wouldn't have my ear on the end of a screwdriver next to a pulley, redneck or not!

Finally, I just saw a brand new Lemforder mechanical tensioner in my shop, so I know they still make them. Lemforder is great stuff...makes lots of our parts!

A recent set

Old 08-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #16
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
I am guessing it is that time of the month where our e46s are on their periods. Because I have been seeing the same thread for the past week(me included). Going to get it daignosed tuesday. But it is most likely a pulley.

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote