E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 01:19 AM   #1
DarkM3

My Ride: bmw
Question What jobs can you get with a BA in Business Economics?

As the title says, what jobs are there for someone who has a BA in Business Economics? I am looking to start my own business but would like to know what I would have to fall back on or to get back on my feet if my own business doesn't work out initially. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhype View Post
just override the website's BIOS and enter the binary system code to decompile the kernel firewall.
DarkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:37 AM   #2
sakums20

My Ride: 02 330ci
i was going for this degree. my 2 friends with the same degree is doing the same jobs they've been doing since high school (wells fargo corporte & club monaco mgr) since it seemed like they were getting nowhere and to top it all off the economy took a dump. i switched majors from economoics into health care administration with just 6 classes left to graduate with the BA in econ...i might double major just because.
sakums20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
DarkM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakums20 View Post
i was going for this degree. my 2 friends with the same degree is doing the same jobs they've been doing since high school (wells fargo corporte & club monaco mgr) since it seemed like they were getting nowhere and to top it all off the economy took a dump. i switched majors from economoics into health care administration with just 6 classes left to graduate with the BA in econ...i might double major just because.
Thanks for the info. I'm expecting the economy to "stabilize" by the time I graduate.

Quote:
just override the website's BIOS and enter the binary system code to decompile the kernel firewall.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
Gbimmer

My Ride: Subway
I have a double BS, one is in Econ. It doesn't get you anything specific, but it is the one business degree that lets you prove that you're highly intellectually capable (Finance as well to an extent depending on your school). Basically, it allows you to transition into a broad spectrum of business careers, not shoehorning yourself like if you majored in accounting or marketing. From my experience, it seems like a high GPA in econ is a bit more highly valued than a high GPA in finance. Basically, you can do anything business related with it, but you'll only end up in a career actually relating to econ (like a corporate advisory team) if your're extremely good at it (like 3.9 major GPA good from a top 25 school). Get a sub 3.5 though, and its as good as a degree in English lit.

Edit: Business econ... I would stay away from that. It sounds like one of those tailored "focused" majors that they invent at internet schools for retards that cant hack it in the real classes.

Last edited by Gbimmer; 05-23-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Gbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #5
DarkM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbimmer View Post
I have a double BS, one is in Econ. It doesn't get you anything specific, but it is the one business degree that lets you prove that you're highly intellectually capable (Finance as well to an extent depending on your school). Basically, it allows you to transition into a broad spectrum of business careers, not shoehorning yourself like if you majored in accounting or marketing. From my experience, it seems like a high GPA in econ is a bit more highly valued than a high GPA in finance. Basically, you can do anything business related with it, but you'll only end up in a career actually relating to econ (like a corporate advisory team) if your're extremely good at it (like 3.9 major GPA good from a top 25 school). Get a sub 3.5 though, and its as good as a degree in English lit.

Edit: Business econ... I would stay away from that. It sounds like one of those tailored "focused" majors that they invent at internet schools for retards that cant hack it in the real classes.
It's at UCLA.

Thanks for the input! Very good info!

Quote:
Old 05-23-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
Gbimmer

My Ride: Subway
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkM3 View Post
It's at UCLA.

Thanks for the input! Very good info!
Yea; considering their business undergrad program isnt even ranked; I would say that's probably not the best idea.
Gbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:14 AM   #7
hypebmw

My Ride: 02 330i
Send a message via AIM to hypebmw
isnt health care administration the major where all the dropouts from premed go?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:15 AM   #8
fordpwns

My Ride: GR STi
theres no such thing as a premed major

-Dr. F. Pwns

"bro a real university is a little bit harder than community college. let me know if you get into haas, then you'll see"
fordpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:19 AM   #9
hypebmw

My Ride: 02 330i
Send a message via AIM to hypebmw
i never said premed major.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:27 AM   #10
fordpwns

My Ride: GR STi
still cant answer your question

-Dr. F. Pwns

"bro a real university is a little bit harder than community college. let me know if you get into haas, then you'll see"
fordpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:52 AM   #11
SDKmann

My Ride: 01 Cherokee
You can do anything you want really. That piece of paper basically just says you're ready to work, I know a large number of people who don't do a thing related to their major, my father for one. He got a degree in some sort of engineering, he is in sales now.

Also, Im pretty sure there is such thing as a pre-med major. Maybe not at your school but they do exist. My friend at Iowa is currently in the pre-dentistry program. Many schools will rename or tweak programs to sound exclusive, thats how my school wrangled me in, I thought Id be getting a leg up on everyone with my "one-of-a-kind" major.

Last edited by SDKmann; 05-23-2010 at 03:55 AM.
SDKmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:00 AM   #12
InVisib0L

My Ride: '12 fJCW Hardtop
Old 05-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #13
jbowser12

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
I graduated with an Econ degree back in 2006. Had the notion that I would get into finance or business intelligence but nothing really paned out.

I'm currently working in IT for the State Dept. Yet, as someone else mentioned, it's really just a license to work, so-to-speak. The key is that econ teaches you how to think critically. This is something that all employeers appreciate, so no matter what field you end up in, econ is a great base to work from.

GL
jbowser12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #14
benzfreak

My Ride: my ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypebmw View Post
isnt health care administration the major where all the dropouts from premed go?
anything with the word business is where they usually go.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
DKman

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzfreak View Post
anything with the word business is where they usually go.
Psych seems to be popular too, though that's true generally though.
DKman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #16
pinoycowboy

My Ride: VW GLI & Passat TDI
Send a message via ICQ to pinoycowboy Send a message via AIM to pinoycowboy
grad school... undergraduate econ degrees don't have much focus... it can be financed/business oriented, public policy oriented, stats oriented, or just about anything else. unless you find some sort of niche job with a particular company, it's hard to hone in on specific jobs that an econ degree will work towards imo. i was a finance/econ double major btw. finance has definitely been my money making degree (until the market took a dump at least )

e46 SOLD :(
pinoycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #17
DarkM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbimmer View Post
Yea; considering their business undergrad program isnt even ranked; I would say that's probably not the best idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
You can do anything you want really. That piece of paper basically just says you're ready to work, I know a large number of people who don't do a thing related to their major, my father for one. He got a degree in some sort of engineering, he is in sales now.

Also, Im pretty sure there is such thing as a pre-med major. Maybe not at your school but they do exist. My friend at Iowa is currently in the pre-dentistry program. Many schools will rename or tweak programs to sound exclusive, thats how my school wrangled me in, I thought Id be getting a leg up on everyone with my "one-of-a-kind" major.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowser12 View Post
I graduated with an Econ degree back in 2006. Had the notion that I would get into finance or business intelligence but nothing really paned out.

I'm currently working in IT for the State Dept. Yet, as someone else mentioned, it's really just a license to work, so-to-speak. The key is that econ teaches you how to think critically. This is something that all employeers appreciate, so no matter what field you end up in, econ is a great base to work from.

GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoycowboy View Post
grad school... undergraduate econ degrees don't have much focus... it can be financed/business oriented, public policy oriented, stats oriented, or just about anything else. unless you find some sort of niche job with a particular company, it's hard to hone in on specific jobs that an econ degree will work towards imo. i was a finance/econ double major btw. finance has definitely been my money making degree (until the market took a dump at least )
Thanks for all the responses. I was considering the business program at USC but I don't think it's worth it (any opinions on that?). I might just get a BA in Economics. Still trying to decide. Thanks again!

Quote:
Old 05-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #18
DarkM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVisib0L View Post

Quote:
Old 05-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #19
SDKmann

My Ride: 01 Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkM3 View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I was considering the business program at USC but I don't think it's worth it (any opinions on that?). I might just get a BA in Economics. Still trying to decide. Thanks again!
Just to give you an idea my uncle majored in History when he was in school and he now is the CEO of a company that manufactures those personal weather station things and other similar products that don't really work. He previously would come in and take over companies that were floundering and make them profitable again, which is how he moved to his current position. So your major doesn't necessarily dictate what you do in life.
SDKmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #20
DarkM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
Just to give you an idea my uncle majored in History when he was in school and he now is the CEO of a company that manufactures those personal weather station things and other similar products that don't really work. He previously would come in and take over companies that were floundering and make them profitable again, which is how he moved to his current position. So your major doesn't necessarily dictate what you do in life.
Yeah, I just wanted to see if there were any specific business-related jobs that companies offer to people with that degree (if that makes any sense).

Quote: