E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
SLO Town
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Review: BMW Group N engine mounts - AWESOME!

Hello:

Today I installed a set of official BMW Group N engine mounts on my 2003 330Ci.

To get right to the point, this is one fine mod! These official BMW Group N engine mounts are outstanding! The only bad part is that they are expensive; really expensive - $978 for the pair...

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...D=11812224413N

These mounts have all but eliminated drivetrain "wind up". Nealy all the rubbery-nish during throttle on/throttle off has been eliminated. As an aside, I replaced all three of my differential bushings about 2K miles ago but was disappointed that I still had wind up in the drivetrain during throttle on/throttle off situations. In the case of the original engine mounts and bushings (58K miles), none of them showed any sign of damage.

IMO, there are no downsides to these Group N engine mounts, aside from the price.

There is a slight increase NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness), most noticeable at idle. However, it is in no way annoying.

Interestingly, the increase in NVH during full throttle applications increases the growl of the engine. This is a good thing. It's not bothersome at all. In fact, it reminds me of the engine NVH on my good friend's 2007 Porsche Carrera. All late model Porsches have this trait, and IMO it adds to the liveliness of the car.

The Group N engine mounts have most certainly added to the liveliness of my 330Ci, and I am absolutely thrilled!

In my experience, replacing the engine mounts was a bit of a hassle, especially the driver's side because the steering column and U-joint is in the way.

Other E46Fanatics suggest they jacked up the engine and were able to simply replace the mounts. In my case, I could not do this without removing the aluminum engine mount brackets from the engine block (four 13mm bolts).

Anyway, if you've got the money, I'd buy the BMW Group N engine mounts over any other offerings. I just cannot imagine any of the stiffer, non-BMW mounts being better than these.

These mounts greatly exceeded my expectations!

Scott
Original Owner 2003 330Ci ZSP, 3145 lbs, 5-spd, leather, Alcantara wheel, 19x8.5" BBS, RE-11s, ZHP FCAs/diff cover/weighted knob, M3 eng + trans mounts/outer RCABs/RCABs with Turner limiters, Group N inner RCABs, Bilstein Sports (E36 M3 rears), Eibach P-K, H&R bars, BMW Performance Rotors, Turner caliper bushings, StopTech lines, Borla, RE pullies/RSM, Stewart WP, M-Technic Trunk Spoiler, Mason pedal/strut bar/end links, B&M shifter, UUC DSSR

SLO Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
You spent $1000 on motor mounts? Seriously? I know they're nice, but the $150 alternatives are basically as good.

Last edited by vaio76109; 10-27-2009 at 10:02 PM.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
Wha wha wha what?

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
This probably isn't a good time to tell you about the Bimmerworld Group N knockoffs for $199.99 then....
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 10-27-2009 at 10:05 PM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
If you look at any of Scott's other posts, he goes for nothing but the best.

And with a car as mint as his, I wouldn't either!

Thanks for another great review and info Scott!!
Old 10-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
wow man 1000 bucks for motor mounts...you must be rich

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
jmay87

My Ride: e36,e46,e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
This probably isn't a good time to tell you about the Bimmerworld Group N knockoffs for $199.99 then....
not to mention the fact that bimmerwolrd sells the real group N mounts for only $400. I've got the $200 knockoffs on my e36 and have been quite pleased with them.

jmay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
SLO Town
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Actually, I got the Group N mounts from Bimmerworld several months ago for their "below cost" of $400. I should have given them credit for this, but when I checked their website this afternoon I couldn't find them listed. This is why I included the Turner link instead. If Bimmerworld is still selling them, sorry Bimmerworld.

As far far as the official BMW Group N mounts go, I strongly prefer the real thing instead of knockoffs. Who are these companies making these knockoffs? Do they really have the engineering and manufacturing expertise the Group N folks have? Can you really produce a knockoff for a fraction of the cost of the real thing without it being an inferior product?

As TCK said (Thanks!), my car is absolutely mint and I am very discriminating and selective with what I do to it.

As far as the cost of the mounts; well, I was able to retire at 52. And then, I liquidated 100% of my stocks in December 2007 when the Dow was 13,800. Let's just say the high cost of the mounts wasn't a problem.

To all you young folks busting your butts out there.....work hard and be your own advocate. And most importantly, save your money!

I hope all you are a fortunate as me. You must understand, you control your own destiny!

Good luck! Sincerely,

Scott
Original Owner 2003 330Ci ZSP, 3145 lbs, 5-spd, leather, Alcantara wheel, 19x8.5" BBS, RE-11s, ZHP FCAs/diff cover/weighted knob, M3 eng + trans mounts/outer RCABs/RCABs with Turner limiters, Group N inner RCABs, Bilstein Sports (E36 M3 rears), Eibach P-K, H&R bars, BMW Performance Rotors, Turner caliper bushings, StopTech lines, Borla, RE pullies/RSM, Stewart WP, M-Technic Trunk Spoiler, Mason pedal/strut bar/end links, B&M shifter, UUC DSSR

SLO Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #9
neil1138

^ much respect
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
BodyMan

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Town View Post
Actually, I got the Group N mounts from Bimmerworld several months ago for their "below cost" of $400. I should have given them credit for this, but when I checked their website this afternoon I couldn't find them listed. This is why I included the Turner link instead. If Bimmerworld is still selling them, sorry Bimmerworld.

As far far as the official BMW Group N mounts go, I strongly prefer the real thing instead of knockoffs. Who are these companies making these knockoffs? Do they really have the engineering and manufacturing expertise the Group N folks have? Can you really produce a knockoff for a fraction of the cost of the real thing without it being an inferior product?

As TCK said (Thanks!), my car is absolutely mint and I am very discriminating and selective with what I do to it.

As far as the cost of the mounts; well, I was able to retire at 52. And then, I liquidated 100% of my stocks in December 2007 when the Dow was 13,800. Let's just say the high cost of the mounts wasn't a problem.

To all you young folks busting your butts out there.....work hard and be your own advocate. And most importantly, save your money!

I hope all you are a fortunate as me. You must understand, you control your own destiny!

Good luck! Sincerely,

Scott
I would ask GoingNuts, he will know.
BodyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #11
xe460

My Ride: 02 325i auto
Wow! this must be mod of the day!
Old 10-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #12
AL330CI

My Ride: 330Ci
Thanks for a great writeup, SLO Town. I'd always read your posts with envy. Especially when you are installing new parts. Everything you have been adding to your car has been top notch. Please keep the show and tell the next time you have something new. There are those out there who appreciate this.
AL330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:40 PM   #13
viceversa

My Ride: 2004 325i
Thanks for the writeup - appreciated. Aside from the performance benefits of improved engine mounts, curious about how the engine handles the additional stress now that its absorbing those excess vibrations...
OP: I am sure your English Writing teacher told you this every year, regardless of who s/he was: writing is important. Others will either respect you or ignore you or piss on you if you type like a moron. This isn't an instant message site; it's a forum. We aren't texting each other right now. We are typing messages. Type regular English and people are more likely to respond.
viceversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:40 PM   #14
Jason5driver

My Ride: 2001 E39 525i sport
Oem.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #15
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
SLO Town =

Thanks again for another awesome write-up. I love your mods
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:41 AM   #16
omairkhanzada

My Ride: 330ci
damn... adopt me
Old 10-28-2009, 03:02 AM   #17
albertbmw

My Ride: 328ci
If you can afford the best, why not?? That's a sweet mod.
albertbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:46 AM   #18
mkodama

Nice to hear, I've been interested in the responses from people with stiffer engine mounts on street cars.

I can side with you for the increased NVH at higher RPMs not being bad if it is similar to a late model Porsche. Noticeable, but definitely nothing irritating.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:53 AM   #19
e36-2.0

My Ride: 330xi
so do factory engine mounts ever go bad? just looking for an excuse to get these.....

'02 330xi
Konigsport/Ground Control/DPE/BMW Motorsport/Eurosport/Turner Motorsport/PowerFlex/RacingDynamics/Hotchkis/UUC/Beisan/Bimmerworld/Dinan/Conforti/RPI/GroupN/Technik/Dynavin

Alberta's BMW enthusiast forum.
-Projecttechnik.com
e36-2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:58 AM   #20
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36-2.0 View Post
so do factory engine mounts ever go bad? just looking for an excuse to get these.....
Yes, the go bad every 20k miles.

lol, jk, I have not heard of many engine mount issues with the e46. But having something to work for is always nice, haha.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
group n motormount