E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

View Poll Results: What is the Best WATER PUMP if you are not getting the Stewart Water Pump:
GEBA 17 12.23%
GRAF 25 17.99%
BOSCH 33 23.74%
HEPA 5 3.60%
BMW OEM Remanufactured 59 42.45%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #61
RandalJ

My Ride: 2002 330i Sedan 5-sp
Late to the party again... Just a few more thoughts on the Stewart water pumps.

I live in Phoenix, and am looking to get a 300i MT sedan to replace my current ride. Been looking a while. My biggest concern is sitting in traffic in the summer when it is 115F outside. A hose, reservoir, radiator or something else bursting. So when I do buy the car, I'm going to have to take a close look at the cooling system.

I lived many years with an E28 535i and and later an E30 M3, and the summers are not kind to them...

Anyway, to move more coolant requires more energy, so I wonder what the additional load on the engine is from a Stewart pump. I'm sure not as high as the A/C compressor, but it must be something. Would some of the cooling gain be offset by additional heat from engine loading?

Also, a bigger bearing does not necessarily mean a better bearing... I think design and quality have something to do with it.

Lastly, the lifetime warranty. Sometimes it IS just marketing. On any product, a lifetime warranty does not necessarily mean that the product has a longer life expectancy. Despite the robust appearance, it is quite possible that it doesn't last any longer. But since they are getting a higher price, they can afford to replace some, perhaps only from those few owners who hold on to their cars for a long time.

They may indeed be more robust, but it seems all we know for sure is that the original stock units were a weak point.
RandalJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #62
RandalJ

My Ride: 2002 330i Sedan 5-sp
That should be a 330i that I'm looking for...
RandalJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #63
BimmerBrakes
The Brake Newbie!

My Ride: 2005 ZHP BMW
Send a message via AIM to BimmerBrakes
Stewart Pump
BimmerBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #64
DesertBoat

My Ride: '01 325xiT 5mt sport
For what it's worth my car just turned 180K miles.... still on the original stock 2001 pump. Really. I have the spotless records from new (less about 6 months between original owner and the wing nut idiot I bought it from - and he did nothing to the car, except CUT the springs with a hack saw)

No mechanical fan so I am sure that's helped but the car has also had regular cooling system flushes. But has not ever had the pump replaced. Thermostat housing twice, expansion tank once, upper hose once but not the pump.

Not sure when it will go.... or if it ever will.
DesertBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #65
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
I put the stewart pump in 100k miles ago. No looking back. For any car that I've owned I don't think I've ever picked up a water pump that appears this bullet proof.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #66
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Stewart is the best, BMW OEM remanufactured is next best.

It really depends on how much money you're willing to spend. That's what it all boils down to.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #67
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Any one have Saleri ?( composite impeller) ( Says OEM supplier on Pelicans site)
EDWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #68
Kevin03

My Ride: 2003 325i
I replaced mine with a family of hampster with a metal wheel. It should be lifetime as there are breeding like rabbits. Also less parasitic drag on the engine, just took some trial and error to get correct belt size when eliminating the pulley.

Yes I have been drinking tonight and sorry I couldn't help myself.

Seriously, ill be putting in a stewart soon along with an electric radiator fan soon.

Last edited by Kevin03; 02-11-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Kevin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #69
gits

My Ride: 2000 i328
I got this hitting next on page 1 http://omahax.com/img/e46malware.png page 2 is bad?
gits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:29 AM   #70
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
The Graf is just some thin sheet metal welded together to make an impeller. It is a crap solution to the plastic impeller.
I would stay away from remanufactured pumps as well. The places that do them are sweat shops, without any Quality Control.
From the looks of it, the Geba seems like a solid unit, but I can't tell you much else.
The Bosch looks well built as well, and I have a friend that has had one for about 3yrs, with no problems.
A NEW OEM unit, with the improved impeller, is probably your best bet. Make sure you check for a recent manufacturing date on it when you receive it though, and make sure it is not old stock, with the old, disintegrating impeller. I ordered a new OEM one for my previous e46, from a place that was selling OEM pumps for a good bit less than most places, and it turned out to be old stock. I should have guessed that BMW would sell them to someone. They are probably all gone now, but it never hurts to check.
I sprang for the Stewart for my current car. A bit of overkill, but I decided to splurge. It is not like the extra cost prevented me from buying something else important. That is really the only justification to buy one of them for a street only car - if it does not take away from your ability to buy other things you need. I would not cut back somewhere else just to afford it. But, it is a beautiful piece of engineering. I am sure it is worth another 10hp, on looks alone.*
*I don't really believe that, so no need to tell me I am wrong.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #71
dino71

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
After 210,000 miles on my car with the original water pump (no that's not a typo) I decided to order a a new water pump and thermostat from RMEuropean. I went with the Steward water pump. Someone in a previous posting asked if the pump would produce more drag on the engine and since the design of the impeller is larger I have to assume that that's what is pushing more fluid per rev. I doubt that it would cause any noticeable drag on the engine. I just hope its worth $175.00!

Last edited by dino71; 12-19-2012 at 05:06 PM.
dino71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #72
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
I would think that if the cooling system is the Achilles heel of the vehicle, I will go for the most robust unit. The Stewart water pump may be the most expensive but the warranty and track record make it the best bet to me.
tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #73
SteadyMobbin

My Ride: ImolaZHP 6spd M/T
I got the saleri, which was identical to my oem wp which still looked solid after 190k. Car is 2003 btw.
SteadyMobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #74
SteadyMobbin

My Ride: ImolaZHP 6spd M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyMobbin View Post
I got the saleri, which was identical to my oem wp which still looked solid after 190k. Car is 2003 btw.
Was also only 45 off of pelican
SteadyMobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #75
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
I'm on month 7.5 on my Graf pump. No problems to report. Good quality. No leaking.

I think people are really thrown off by the spot-welded design. It's really not a problem. Our SAPs are made of the same design. We've got corrosion-inhibiting properties in our coolant, so I wouldn't expect that water pump to catastrophically break apart.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #76
Optio

My Ride: 328i
I pulled the original water pump @85,000 miles on my 328i to inspect it and back then, the factory used a welded sheet metal stainless steel impeller, just like the graf.

I did not find any issues and simply re-installed the factory original pump. I would venture a guess that Graf is the OE for the early E46's.
Optio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #77
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandalJ View Post
Late to the party again... Just a few more thoughts on the Stewart water pumps.

I live in Phoenix, and am looking to get a 300i MT sedan to replace my current ride. Been looking a while. My biggest concern is sitting in traffic in the summer when it is 115F outside. A hose, reservoir, radiator or something else bursting. So when I do buy the car, I'm going to have to take a close look at the cooling system.

I lived many years with an E28 535i and and later an E30 M3, and the summers are not kind to them...

Anyway, to move more coolant requires more energy, so I wonder what the additional load on the engine is from a Stewart pump. I'm sure not as high as the A/C compressor, but it must be something. Would some of the cooling gain be offset by additional heat from engine loading?

Also, a bigger bearing does not necessarily mean a better bearing... I think design and quality have something to do with it.

Lastly, the lifetime warranty. Sometimes it IS just marketing. On any product, a lifetime warranty does not necessarily mean that the product has a longer life expectancy. Despite the robust appearance, it is quite possible that it doesn't last any longer. But since they are getting a higher price, they can afford to replace some, perhaps only from those few owners who hold on to their cars for a long time.

They may indeed be more robust, but it seems all we know for sure is that the original stock units were a weak point.

I can tell you from holding a new Graf pump and a new Stewart, just spinning the impeller in the Stewart takes a lot less effort. I would not worry about it adding additional load to the system. When you finally get one, you will see how crazy that sounds. It is a tiny little unit, compared to a pump for an American car. It also seems to be carved from a single chunk of stainless steel.
I believe you are over-thinking this. I really don't see any way that a Stewart pump is going to increase the engine load.
You won't really get it until you buy one, and have it in your hands to compare to any of the factory or factory replacement units. It is immediately obvious that it is a much more solid, well built and designed unit. It is a night and day difference.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #78
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWAGON View Post
Any one have Saleri ?( composite impeller) ( Says OEM supplier on Pelicans site)
used Saleri on two cars so far and they looked identical to the OE bmw original. Will use it on my own as well next week.

Last edited by pawelgawel; 12-20-2012 at 02:51 AM.
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #79
mikeetastic

My Ride: 325i/323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyMobbin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
used Saleri on two cars so far and they looked identical to the OE bmw original. Will use it on my own as well next week.
ordered Saleri too.. it comes with a ring gasket right? or do i need to buy one separately?
mikeetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #80
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeetastic View Post
ordered Saleri too.. it comes with a ring gasket right? or do i need to buy one separately?
Comes with gasket put in Saleri when I did cooling system refresh about 11 months ago.