E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #61
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
i dont think its that we get all in a tif over xi bashing. like i said before, when rwd people come into an xi thread it never amounts to anything good. it always ends up being rwd vs awd or "needs a drop". this thread is about the drop xi's have. i personally hate my wheel well gap, but its the sacrifice i made to get the winter handling i needed. regardless of weather forecast, snowfall amounts, or plowing of roads; i love my e46. i already knew it wasnt fast and i bought it knowing that. i added wheels and different exterior mods to set myself apart from all the 3 series in my area. the average person doesnt care if its dropped or not so im not looking to impress anyone there. as for speed, its awd, to me it wasnt about speed. i was looking to a 330xi but couldnt find a clean enough 1 owner in my range i wanted to spend.

for the drop, im leaning eibach and bilsteins. anyone have pics they can throw up with the suspension setups listed? which one gives the best drop without going to coils. i was looking into the TMS H&R coil setup that mark got.

jj.. nothing personal, but there isnt a reason for you comment in this thread. if us xi's could get our car to the stance you have, we'd all be very happy. (so long our front axles held up)

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #62
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
jj.. nothing personal, but there isnt a reason for you comment in this thread. if us xi's could get our car to the stance you have, we'd all be very happy. (so long our front axles held up)
i don't take anything personal... i hear what you mean how Xi threads always turn out the way they usually do, i've been here for almost 4 years, it wouldn't be the first time and i know it won't be the last for sure

but i was responding to someone else's post, i didn't intentionally come in here to start an argument, i only do that with the pricks on here

i responded saying people get Xi's because the "think" they need it for winter driving (very general statement which i did not intent to be meant for everyone, especially the colorado guy) then i said to the OP "I'm sure you have your own reasons" and concluded with maybe he found the perfect car and it just so happened to be an Xi...

It was all hypothetical statements, so there was no "direct" dig at any Xi's or the owners on here... as long as you can understand that, then cool... if not... then cool?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #63
MileHiXi
Banned

My Ride: '02 330xi
Yep cool. Imma post some pics of my ride when I get to work so you can see the ride height. Dinan XI roughly = ZHP.
MileHiXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #64
bimmer654

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
will all due respect, i said one thing how RWD with snows are fine in a little bit of snow, and i have a half of dozen Xi members down my throat accusing me of saying RWD is just as good as Xi and how RWD bimmers are SOOO much better than Xi's

Do me a favor, look at all of my posts, did i sit here bashing people's cars and ragging on Xi's? come on now... ... tell your Xi buddies to stop being so immature
JJR...with all due respect you are completely missing my point! I've read all your posts & not one has anything to do with the subject of this thread which is XI's with a drop. Again, no where in my post did I ask to compare RWD vs AWD as you continue to debate. Your very 1st post stated " there is no reason to buy an XI " which is a ignorant statement just because you feel there no need for AWD in your driving conditions & such a statement would of course get some of the XI's owners backs up. In the title of this thread it says "calling all XI owners with a drop which quite frankly leaves you out. So kindly stop bashing my thread. No hard feelings of course & BTW you have a very nice whip (love the rims, but 19" would be bone jarring on the CT roads).
Old 05-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #65
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer654 View Post
JJR...with all due respect you are completely missing my point! I've read all your posts & not one has anything to do with the subject of this thread which is XI's with a drop. Again, no where in my post did I ask to compare RWD vs AWD as you continue to debate. Your very 1st post stated " there is no reason to buy an XI " which is a ignorant statement just because you feel there no need for AWD in your driving conditions & such a statement would of course get some of the XI's owners backs up. In the title of this thread it says "calling all XI owners with a drop which quite frankly leaves you out. So kindly stop bashing my thread. No hard feelings of course & BTW you have a very nice whip (love the rims, but 19" would be bone jarring on the CT roads).
dude i'm not bashing your thread lol... with that said, i'm out... if you want, i'll have a mod take out all the posts that are OT in here

and thank you for the compliment....
Old 05-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #66
ZemogFC3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer654 View Post
JJR...with all due respect you are completely missing my point!
Seriously, this guy (girl?) is trolling so hardcore. The mods suck here.

Last edited by ZemogFC3S; 05-27-2010 at 09:43 AM.
ZemogFC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #67
MileHiXi
Banned

Here is before and after installing my Dinan stage 1 suspension. The ride height is slightly lower than a sport package 330i, or about the same as a ZHP, IIRC.

I chose this suspension out of concern for my axles. I have heard that dropping too much causes premature CV joint/boot failure, and that's something I'd like to avoid. The ride is harsher than stock, but the reward (less body roll and upgraded appearance) is worth it to me. This setup cost me about $1100 and I installed it myself, so it wasn't cheap. Obviously, there are much cheaper options out there, which options would also drop your car a lot more. Also, I already scrape like crazy in the winter, so a lower drop would probably cause damage (the snow plows suck out here. . . Colorado Dept of Trans is underfunded).

Last edited by MileHiXi; 05-27-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #68
ZemogFC3S

What city do you live in?
Old 05-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #69
MileHiXi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZemogFC3S View Post
What city do you live in?
Basalt (just outside Aspen).
Old 05-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #70
bimmer654

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Quote:
Seriously, this guy (girl?) is trolling so hardcore. The mods suck here.
ya ...& as far as your comment on the mods, they will only react when made aware, so we can't really blame them.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #71
bristolpeter

My Ride: 2004 325XI Touring
I am also interested in the original question... The Dinan kit sounds reasonable... anyone running the FK highsports? or the KW Variants?
bristolpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #72
Brooklyn 3

My Ride: 1984 CB700s
Send a message via AIM to Brooklyn 3
I got a great deal and the car happened to be an X. I would have preferred RWD but when an opportunity presents itself, I like to take it. So now when a snow storm comes around its like a track day for me. Most everyone stays off the roads and no work! That being said, stock ride height is important for a four wheel drive. Bilstein HD's all the way (or AWD)!
Brooklyn 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #73
ZemogFC3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiXi View Post
Basalt (just outside Aspen).
Oh wow, your deep in the mountains. So your winter should be ending soon right?

Any xi'ers regret lowering their car?
Old 05-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #74
MileHiXi
Banned

Quote:
Oh wow, your deep in the mountains. So your winter should be ending soon right?

Any xi'ers regret lowering their car?
LOL hopefully winter will end in a month or so. Just kidding, it's actually getting pretty warm now and Independence pass just opened yesterday.

I don't regret lowering my car, but I am glad I didn't lower it any more than I did.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #75
msb10378

My Ride: 2002 330XI
I have had H&R springs and bilsteins for about 30K miles, I wouldn't say that I regret lowering my car. The ride is quite a bit more firm than stock. At times in the city the potholes get quite large and the ride is not as comfortable as I would like but, the better handling I think is worth the comfort sacrifice. I have replaced both axles one before the suspension install and one after. There's really no way for me to tell if the 2nd axle was due to the suspension or not.

Looking back I probaly would have bought a 330I, due to the axle issues and the fact that I also bought a Wrangler last year.

Any xi'ers regret lowering their car?[/QUOTE]
msb10378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #76
KYC

My Ride: 2003 325 xi
Here's my personal experience on different setups.

Stock shock with H&R springs: The handling and the drop was perfect for my application. The ride however was a bit harsher, although acceptable at that time. Eventually, both rear stock shocks crapped out, which was expected, but I didn't really care since I wasn't going to sell them anyway.

Bilstein shock with H&R springs: The height was the same. The handling was upped a notch. However, the ride quality was not as good as before. It didn't really bother me as the driver, but whenever I have ppl in the back seat, I know it's really rough for them in the back, when every bump is amplified.

Bilstein shock with stock springs: Ya... this is only temporary because the undercarriage is rubbing when entering an indoor parking. Terrible ride so far, bad comfort, bad handling... I need to swap those out FAST.

On a side note, I'm running on 18s. Both my CV boots have teared, but it seems to be a very common thing for xi's according to my mechanic. The rough winters here don't help one bit.

As for the debate on the need of xi's for winter. It really depends on the amount of snow you get. In our Canadian winters, I can drive with 100% confidence in 10 inch of snow. Of course, driver behavior plays a big part in this, but bottom line is, if you drive in lots of snow, it helps. And the last but most important thing is that there's no fear of getting stuck in a foot high of hard snow. I've rammed my way out of snow banks when parked on the side of the street with no problem whereas other cars have to shovel and push, that's a huge + for me, but that's not necessarily application if you have little snow.

Last edited by KYC; 06-02-2010 at 02:37 PM.
KYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #77
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiXi View Post
Here is before and after installing my Dinan stage 1 suspension. The ride height is slightly lower than a sport package 330i, or about the same as a ZHP, IIRC.

I chose this suspension out of concern for my axles. I have heard that dropping too much causes premature CV joint/boot failure, and that's something I'd like to avoid. The ride is harsher than stock, but the reward (less body roll and upgraded appearance) is worth it to me. This setup cost me about $1100 and I installed it myself, so it wasn't cheap. Obviously, there are much cheaper options out there, which options would also drop your car a lot more. Also, I already scrape like crazy in the winter, so a lower drop would probably cause damage (the snow plows suck out here. . . Colorado Dept of Trans is underfunded).
MileHiXi-

Do you have experience with any other setups for the xi? If so, how do they compare to your Dinan setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYC View Post
Here's my personal experience on different setups.

Stock shock with H&R springs: The handling and the drop was perfect for my application. The ride however was a bit harsher, although acceptable at that time. Eventually, both rear stock shocks crapped out, which was expected, but I didn't really care since I wasn't going to sell them anyway.

Bilstein shock with H&R springs: The height was the same. The handling was upped a notch. However, the ride quality was not as good as before. It didn't really bother me as the driver, but whenever I have ppl in the back seat, I know it's really rough for them in the back, when every bump is amplified.

Bilstein shock with stock springs: Ya... this is only temporary because the undercarriage is rubbing when entering an indoor parking. Terrible ride so far, bad comfort, bad handling... I need to swap those out FAST.

On a side note, I'm running on 18s. Both my CV boots have teared, but it seems to be a very common thing for xi's according to my mechanic. The rough winters here don't help one bit.

As for the debate on the need of xi's for winter. It really depends on the amount of snow you get. In our Canadian winters, I can drive with 100% confidence in 10 inch of snow. Of course, driver behavior plays a big part in this, but bottom line is, if you drive in lots of snow, it helps. And the last but most important thing is that there's no fear of getting stuck in a foot high of hard snow. I've rammed my way out of snow banks when parked on the side of the street with no problem whereas other cars have to shovel and push, that's a huge + for me, but that's not necessarily application if you have little snow.
KYC-

Would you specify which Bilsteins you have?
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #78
KYC

Bilstein Sport. I'm actually not too sure the difference between that and HD
Old 06-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #79
jn8691

My Ride: awd&loud
ive been running h&r springs and stock shocks for about 5,000 miles now and im actually pretty happy with the ride comfort, i live in washington state so we get a lot of snow up here too but ive never been worried with my xi.

Megan also has some coilovers for about 800 bucks that are the megan street LP (luxury version), i plan on buying those in the next couple weeks to give me more of a drop. plus they're adjustable! and with these coilovers you also get adjustable dampening too for ride comfort! stock axles doing fine, ill post some pics once i get the coils on
jn8691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #80
KYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn8691 View Post
ive been running h&r springs and stock shocks for about 5,000 miles now and im actually pretty happy with the ride comfort, i live in washington state so we get a lot of snow up here too but ive never been worried with my xi.

Megan also has some coilovers for about 800 bucks that are the megan street LP (luxury version), i plan on buying those in the next couple weeks to give me more of a drop. plus they're adjustable! and with these coilovers you also get adjustable dampening too for ride comfort! stock axles doing fine, ill post some pics once i get the coils on
Do they have an application for xi?