E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #81
MileHiXi
Banned

My Ride: '02 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
MileHiXi-

Do you have experience with any other setups for the xi? If so, how do they compare to your Dinan setup?
Nope. I've never had any other setups. But before I purchased I had searched for threads on the topic and I remember one in particular where the guy had gone from stock, to slamming the car then to Dinan and had found Dinan less harsh than his previous aftermarket setup.

EDIT: here it is:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...light=dinan+xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
Dinan stage 1 suspension.

go Big! so you don't end up going back and spending more $$$.

I seriously went from bavauto springs (dont lower) --> HR springs (too stiff) --> Dinan springs + Dinan Shocks (just perfect)

if you get Dinan, make sure to get the koni shocks from them as they are custom dampened and differ from the shocks Koni sells for the XI seperately
looks like you and I participated in that thread!

Last edited by MileHiXi; 06-04-2010 at 03:46 PM.
MileHiXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #82
skybmw

My Ride: 330XI 2003
I finally loving my setup with Koni struts / bavarian lowering springs. Ride comfort like or close to riding a stock M3.
I tried a few different suspension set up for my XI, bilstein HD with Bavarian springs, they are very stiff, you won't like it at least I don't because I am living in NYC, the road condition is increditable bad / rough...even on highway, I also try bilstein sport with bavarian srpings, same as HD there is no different when riding on it, only the piston on the strut is shorter.
Then I finally try with koni because I found a set in very good price lucky...
It's prefect for me..., ride very smooth when accelerating. Espeically when going on a bump, it's not bouncy at all plus it is very comfortable. I highly recommended it.
If you have more money for the springs, I think Koni with eibach pro kit might be even better because my friend's 330I are using this combination and they feel more like stock to me...very comfort as well.
Tinted Red taillights
Painted black on the stock rims
25mm spacers front & 20mm spacers rear
Black front strut tower bar (Can last closed to 3 yrs & still in good shape before I changed to OEM one)
M3 OEM front strut bar (broken in a month)
Adjustable camber plate
skybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:11 AM   #83
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Koni Sports adjusted to 20% stiffer with Eibach ProKit springs and new Conti tires. With the alignment I had the whole front end retorqued to factory tightness. Now I'd say the ride is perfect and very quiet.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #84
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYC View Post
Here's my personal experience on different setups.

Bilstein shock with stock springs: Ya... this is only temporary because the undercarriage is rubbing when entering an indoor parking. Terrible ride so far, bad comfort, bad handling... I need to swap those out FAST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYC View Post
Bilstein Sport. I'm actually not too sure the difference between that and HD
Gotcha. I run Bilstein HD with stock springs and its a great setup. Bilstein Sport is definitely a no-go with stock springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
Koni Sports adjusted to 20% stiffer with Eibach ProKit springs and new Conti tires. With the alignment I had the whole front end retorqued to factory tightness. Now I'd say the ride is perfect and very quiet.
Nice.

I'm curious what the Eibach's would be like with Bilstein HD's now.

I thought about the Koni's (and almost got a slightly used set for next to nothing). But if you've been around for a while, you've no doubt heard the quality issues Koni had. They seem to have most of those problems solved recently, but the reason the used set was available to me was because the guy kept blowing them out in the rear. That said, everyone blows out bilsteins now, so who knows anymore. I'm pretty sure BavAuto had a bad batch of rear xi shocks too. EVERYBODY was blowing out rear bilsteins on their xi around here.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #85
xi_ter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
... you've been around for a while, you've no doubt heard the quality issues Koni had. They seem to have most of those problems solved recently, but the reason the used set was available to me was because the guy kept blowing them out in the rear. That said, everyone blows out bilsteins now, so who knows anymore. I'm pretty sure BavAuto had a bad batch of rear xi shocks too. EVERYBODY was blowing out rear bilsteins on their xi around here.
Bilstein claimed these failures were due to installers roughing the surface of the chromed piston with Vice-grips when torquing the top bolt. I'd say there is truth to this. I was very careful clamping the vice -grips only at the very top and mine are not failing.
This could have been happening on Koni installs as well. The shock mfrs should really put a flat surface on top so the installers clamp there instead of lower down.