E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
nikoloza

My Ride: 325i
Valve cover question

Hi I replaced my VCG a month ago with OEM one and did it with sealants on halfmoon areas. I had a smoke coming from
hood yeasterday after
driving hard. I checked and it is valve cover leak. Why it happened and do I have to buy a new gasket agan or is ok to use the old one. Is there other way to solve this problem
nikoloza is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
The TSB for the Oil separator indicates it can cause the failure of the Valve cover gasket. If your CVV is clogged with sludge it could cause the valve to stick.
ECS has a kit with the updated "cold weather" version of the CVV.
I would purchase another gasket.

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B11 08 03 dated February 2009.
designates changes to this revision
SUBJECT
Oil Separator – Cold Climate Conditions
MODEL
E39 (5 Series) all with M54 engine
E46 (3 Series) all with M54 engine
E53 (X5) all with M54 engine
E60 (5 Series) all with M54 engine
E83 (X3) all with M54 engine
E85 (Z4) all with M54 engine
SITUATION
Certain areas of the US experience extremely cold climate conditions during the winter months. A small number of
vehicles in the above-listed Series have experienced problems ranging from leaking or broken valve covers to complete
engine failure.
CAUSE
Moisture accumulating in the engine oil separator; hose to oil dipstick guide tube; or the orifice in the dipstick guide
tube can freeze. When this occurs, depending on the position of the internal valve, it may either cause high crankcase
pressures (stuck closed) resulting in valve cover leakage and/or breakage, or cause an oil hydro-lock condition (stuck
open), which could result in engine damage.
CORRECTION
Replace the crankcase vent valve, crankcase vent hoses, and dipstick guide tube.
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
nikoloza

thanks for reply but I forgot to mention that I replaced Oil separator and all vent hoses with OEM same one from the factory a few weeks ago.Everything was good in the beginning. VCG started leaking just recently.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Was the valve cover torqued properly and within specs?
Old 05-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
nikoloza

I did not use a torque wrench. I just tightened them by feel. do you think this can cause a leak again. what about to re tighten them again with torque wrench?
Old 06-09-2010, 04:22 AM   #6
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoloza View Post
I did not use a torque wrench. I just tightened them by feel. do you think this can cause a leak again. what about to re tighten them again with torque wrench?
that can absolutely be the issue.