E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #1
Masrum

My Ride: E46 318i Touring
Heater doesn't work

Hey guys,

I have a problem with the heating in my car. The temperature of the engine is okay but heating takes so long to start working and then blows only cold air. It gets little bit warmer when driving faster or in a city but gets cold again when driving long ways. I've tried to bleed the cooling system but it didn't help. Tried to search the internet but haven't found exactly the same problem as mine. Has anyone ever solved this? Is it broken thermostat, or should I bleed the cooling system again or what could it be? The engine is M43B19. Thanks!
Masrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:30 AM   #2
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Read this for troubleshooting the IHKA.
http://www.bmwtech.ru/pdf/e46/ST034/...%20Control.pdf

You should also read out the IHKA trouble codes using BMW Scanner 1.4.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
It sounds as if the coolant flow through the heater core is being restricted. The key is that you get some heat when you're driving at highway speeds. The climate control (IHKA) controls the heater control valve. This valve is located on the inner fender on the intake side of the car. It has 2 hoses attached to it. The valve is open unless it's getting 12VDC from the IHKA. The first step is to merely disconnect the electrical connect from the valve. This should allow coolant to flow freely through the heater core. If it does and you have heat the IHKA is suspect. But, don't run out to buy a new IHKA. The IHKA has a sensor in the heater core. It tells the IHKA the temperature of the heater core. If the heater core temperature gets to high the IHKA will restrict coolant flow through the heater core. That sensor can go bad. It's a fairly easy task to swap the sensor.

If disconnecting the heater control valve's electrical connector doesn't give you more heat then there is something restricting the coolant flow through the heater core. The heater control valve may be internally corroded. If the heater control valve is ok you're going to have to reverse flush the heater core. Also, the heater core may be blocked.

Just out of curiosity, when was the cooling system last replaced? We're OEM parts installed? Was the system properly bled? Are you having any other cooling related issues? Google "BMW E46 hidden OBC functions." Test #7 will show you the coolant temperature in centigrade degrees. It needs to show the temperature in the 95*C to 100*C range.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #4
Landlorder

My Ride: 330CI Sport
Fsr?
Old 11-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
kimlangley

My Ride: E46 330Ci// 80 911SC
You might want to check out the blower heater resistor part > 64.11.8.376.174
kimlangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #6
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlorder View Post
Fsr?

Final stage resistor. It's basically a cluster of resistors that the climate control (IHKA in BMWese) uses to provide a range of heat/AC fan speeds. It's located in the dash on the right/passenger (LHD) side of the car.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote