E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
secono330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ>>>>FL
Posts: 2,998
My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
New Brake Set-Up, Tell Me What You Guys Think

I'm going to be ordering brakes and just wanted to share what's on the wishlist, tell me what you guys think about the set up

Going to be used on the street and eventually Autocross when I attend sometime this summer. I'm not too concerned about the money, just looking for a good set-up/with nice looks.

-BMW Performance Cross Drilled Front Rotors (Floating)
-Turner Motorsport Rear Cross Drilled Rotors
-Performance Friction Z Pads or Stoptech Pads... not sure yet?
-SS Brake Lines
-Motul Brake Fluid
-Paint Calipers Black
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
nk_zhp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 720
My Ride: ZHP / E30 M3
Cross drilled rotors are crap. Ask anyone who is no stranger to the track. It's completely wasteful because not only do they not offer any added benefits but will eventually crack under high stress.
__________________
'04 330i ZHP - OEM Clears - ///M Strut bar - CoolantSnitch
nk_zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
secono330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ>>>>FL
Posts: 2,998
My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk_zhp View Post
Cross drilled rotors are crap. Ask anyone who is no stranger to the track. It's completely wasteful because not only do they not offer any added benefits but will eventually crack under high stress.
Personally I dont buy that whole crack bs. If it's a crappy company that makes it yes. But not Brembo or BMW. I understand it will not be that beneficial, but the reason is I like the look of cross drill and the BMW ones are floating which makes them 3 lbs lighter EACH.

Not trying to argue, I just feel that everyone jumps on the bandwagon with what ever they hear everyone else saying. There's a reason why BMW and Porsche race cars use cross drilled. I know my brakes will be nothing near a BBK, but I feel it wont hurt.

I've read a lot about that though, but with the rotors I'm leaning a bit more toward looks
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
BimmerBrakes
The Brake Newbie!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 1,146
My Ride: 2005 ZHP BMW
Send a message via AIM to BimmerBrakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by secono330ci View Post
I'm going to be ordering brakes and just wanted to share what's on the wishlist, tell me what you guys think about the set up

Going to be used on the street and eventually Autocross when I attend sometime this summer. I'm not too concerned about the money, just looking for a good set-up/with nice looks.

-BMW Performance Cross Drilled Front Rotors (Floating)
-Turner Motorsport Rear Cross Drilled Rotors
-Performance Friction Z Pads or Stoptech Pads... not sure yet?
-SS Brake Lines
-Motul Brake Fluid
-Paint Calipers Black
Looks like a Good List. Both are Great Pads...

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
BimmerBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
secono330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ>>>>FL
Posts: 2,998
My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
^That's what I'm thinking, I would like to order from you since I could also get the brake fluid and lines aswell. So I may just go the stoptech route..
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
bigjae1976
Registered User
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,480
My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I have the UUC kit with the M3 euro rotors which are a 2pc floating design. They are have some stress cracks around the holes after 8 days of track usage and 25k miles.

I don't think your brakes will see a lot of heat on an autocross so I think you'll be OK.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:23 AM   #7
secono330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ>>>>FL
Posts: 2,998
My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I have the UUC kit with the M3 euro rotors which are a 2pc floating design. They are have some stress cracks around the holes after 8 days of track usage and 25k miles.

I don't think your brakes will see a lot of heat on an autocross so I think you'll be OK.
I just dont understand why most BBK's use drilled rotors if they crack so easily. BBK's put much more stress on the rotor than any normal set up.
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:06 AM   #8
snortdavis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nr Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Posts: 319
My Ride: 2006 M3, 6mt TiAg/Bk
You could always think about the PFC direct drive rotors... fully floating, dimpled, but not cross drilled, and you can replace only the rings when they need it. Front hats are aluminum, rear are steel, and you keep your parking brake. Only downside (besides cost) is that you are somewhat limited in rear pad choices, but the PFC Z pads and the PFC 97/01/06 race pads are great anyway.
__________________
SNORT

///M3 '06 COUPE 6MT, SCHWARZ/GRAUR.I.P.
///M3 '06 COUPE 6MT, TITAN SILBER/SCHWARZ -- NO SUNROOF
snortdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
secono330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ>>>>FL
Posts: 2,998
My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
^From what I can see they're only available for m3's
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #10
BimmerFerret
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cardinal Country, KY
Posts: 1,882
My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk_zhp View Post
Cross drilled rotors are crap. Ask anyone who is no stranger to the track. It's completely wasteful because not only do they not offer any added benefits but will eventually crack under high stress.
Cross drilled rotors definitely reduce the surface area of the rotor by quite a bit. I'd go slotted. You get the aftermarket look with a much smaller fraction of surface area removed.
__________________
2008 Infiniti G37S - Big Brakes, Limited Slip, etc.
2007 Sky Redline
1998 Honda Civic EX Sedan


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
ModBargains II
Sponsor
 
ModBargains II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: La Habra , Ca
Posts: 291
My Ride: Evo 8GSR
Send a message via AIM to ModBargains II
Quote:
Originally Posted by secono330ci View Post
I just dont understand why most BBK's use drilled rotors if they crack so easily. BBK's put much more stress on the rotor than any normal set up.
It's because BBKs employ actual full floating rotors. The aluminum hats are usually separate from the rotors. This helps with dealing with heat and therefore cross drilled pattern can be used without as much fear.

The rotors that you speak of are 1-piece rotors that feature a solid hat that is one with the rotors. These do not have the same luxury that the two piece rotors have due to its rigid solid hub that can either warp or crack under high levels of stressful braking.

So that's the reason why BBKs feature those nice looking drilled rotors!
__________________

We Specialize In: BMW Parts | BMW Tuning | Avant Garde Wheels | VMR Wheels | BMW Headlights | Alufelgen Wheels
Sales
| Gilbert@ModBargains.com | (714) 582-3330 ext. 8004
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am-7:00pm | Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
ModBargains II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
secono330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ>>>>FL
Posts: 2,998
My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
^Yup that I understand, I was just suprised to hear that even the Euro m3 rotors that have a floating design still crack according to BigJae. Anyways at least I dont have to worry as much since the BMW performance front rotors are floating (one main reason I'm getting them). The rears arent a big concern since the fronts do most of the braking.
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,820
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk_zhp View Post
Cross drilled rotors are crap. Ask anyone who is no stranger to the track. It's completely wasteful because not only do they not offer any added benefits but will eventually crack under high stress.
Really? then why does AP Racing, and Brembo make them and every top race series in every format, except F1 and MotoGP with thier top dollar, none drilled, none slotted, carbon rotors.

Dont make blanket statements like that... please, those that dont know may believe your BS.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?

Last edited by Snik; 05-28-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #14
Chris__B
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 30
My Ride: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk_zhp View Post
Cross drilled rotors are crap. Ask anyone who is no stranger to the track. It's completely wasteful because not only do they not offer any added benefits but will eventually crack under high stress.
The only thing full of holes is the above post! The OP didn't say anything about tracking -- and, no, autocross doesn't count. For autocross, cross-drilled rotors will provide the distinct advantage of more initial bite as there is less surface area (pads heat up quicker) and more leading edges from the holes. This has been documented in SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) peer-reviewed papers and felt by professional drivers around the world. The other thing we do to increase bite for short sessions is to cut additional slots in the pad with a hacksaw, usually gaining another 2 leading edges.

So, while I would never recommend them for serious track use, there are benefits to using high-quality cross-drilled rotors -- not the "crap" you appear to be referring to.

Chris
Chris__B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
ChiMaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 183
My Ride: 01 330ci, 14 Explore
There's an article in this months Roundel in which StopTech themselves say that drilled rotors will crack sooner than slotted rotors.

It doesn't mean that there aren't benefits, but if you track your car often be prepared to change your rotors more often.
__________________
2001 BMW 330ci
2011 Cooper S Clubman
2009 328 xDrive
ChiMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:04 AM   #16
secono330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ>>>>FL
Posts: 2,998
My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
^Very Useful info! Thanks guys
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:09 AM   #17
bigjae1976
Registered User
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,480
My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains II View Post
It's because BBKs employ actual full floating rotors. The aluminum hats are usually separate from the rotors. This helps with dealing with heat and therefore cross drilled pattern can be used without as much fear.

The rotors that you speak of are 1-piece rotors that feature a solid hat that is one with the rotors. These do not have the same luxury that the two piece rotors have due to its rigid solid hub that can either warp or crack under high levels of stressful braking.
I don't think a 2pc floating design has anything to do with the cracking. The OEM M3 euro rotors are drilled AND floating - 2 pc just like the Brembos.

Nothing wrong with drilled rotors, you will probably be replacing them more often.

FYI, the 330's and M3s have the same diameter rotor (325mm) but the M3 rotors are thicker. If you can find a thinner pad profile then I don't see a reason why you can't use the PFC direct drive rotors with 330 brakes.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:17 AM   #18
snortdavis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nr Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Posts: 319
My Ride: 2006 M3, 6mt TiAg/Bk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I don't think a 2pc floating design has anything to do with the cracking. The OEM M3 euro rotors are drilled AND floating - 2 pc just like the Brembos.

Nothing wrong with drilled rotors, you will probably be replacing them more often.

FYI, the 330's and M3s have the same diameter rotor (325mm) but the M3 rotors are thicker. If you can find a thinner pad profile then I don't see a reason why you can't use the PFC direct drive rotors with 330 brakes.

EOM Euro rotors have the holes cast in (probably the same for Brembo and AP Racing, etc)... different than drilling (which is what the el-cheapos do). Holes do create stress risers though, which can promote cracking.

If the 330 uses the same diameter, just pick up a set of used M3 calipers and carriers (can be had for cheap off of someone who installed a BBK) and job done.
__________________
SNORT

///M3 '06 COUPE 6MT, SCHWARZ/GRAUR.I.P.
///M3 '06 COUPE 6MT, TITAN SILBER/SCHWARZ -- NO SUNROOF
snortdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #19
Chris__B
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 30
My Ride: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by snortdavis View Post
EOM Euro rotors have the holes cast in (probably the same for Brembo and AP Racing, etc)... different than drilling (which is what the el-cheapos do). Holes do create stress risers though, which can promote cracking.
This is an Internet myth. They are certainly not "cast-in", nor are any other drilled rotors on the market anywhere. It may have been tried a time or two as an experiment, but no production rotors are made this way.

Drilling has certain advantage for street and high-performance driving, but even the better ones are not suitable for extended use over 1300F. The only place one can get and keep rotors up to that temp is on a track. You just can't get there by autocrossing. Below 1300F, a better quality drilled rotor done by a company with a lot of experience will not crack prematurely under normal use.

Chris
Chris__B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #20
bigjae1976
Registered User
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,480
My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by snortdavis View Post
EOM Euro rotors have the holes cast in (probably the same for Brembo and AP Racing, etc)... different than drilling (which is what the el-cheapos do). Holes do create stress risers though, which can promote cracking.

If the 330 uses the same diameter, just pick up a set of used M3 calipers and carriers (can be had for cheap off of someone who installed a BBK) and job done.
Well, that's kind of pointless of 330's to upgrade to M3 brakes.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use