E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
D3LM3L

My Ride: 'ne geile Karre
Send a message via AIM to D3LM3L
Exclamation Red Battery Light Came On Randomly

Last night when I was leaving work, after I had turned on my car, the red alternator light stayed on for a few seconds longer than all the other lights, but then it shut off. So I start driving, and a few minutes into my drive, I'm cruising at not much faster than 30 MPH and the light comes on again for no reason... no power loss, all electronics working, no other warning lights on, and the red light turns off after a few seconds. Comes back on again for a few seconds, and nothing. And that was the end of that for the rest of the 25-mile ride home through both streets and highway.

The reason why this freaked me out is because my alternator already died 6 months ago (<10,000 miles) and was replaced by a good mechanic with a new Bosch one, so I don't really think it's the alternator going bad, but I would probably cry if I had to shell out so much money again. Could it be some connections I'd have to check?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2001 BMW 330i 5 Speed, Jet Black on Tanin Red, ZSP, ZCW, HK, M-Tech I
Mods: Dinan CAI + Stage 1 Software, Clears + LED tails, Leather M Shift knob, Meyle HD FCABs, Orion V2 6000k Angel Eyes, VMR V710 18" Wheels

D3LM3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 2001 3 Pedal M54b30
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
iwas going to say alternator, but after reading, maybe your mech didn't completely tighten up some wires?
Old 05-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
you need to test your voltage....to see if you need a new battery or alternator

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Make sure the wires are tightly connected to your battery terminals. A place like AutoZone can check the battery charge for free, but make sure they give it a minute or two... had to replace mine after about 5 years. Otherwise it's likely to be an alternator problem. I had mine replaced this past year, except my cluster lit up like the 4th of July with warnings when it first went off. After a quick on/off, the only thing remaining lit was the red battery.

Last edited by Penguin Koolaid; 05-28-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
D3LM3L

I'm going to try the voltage test tomorrow guys and I'll post the results here. I thought you actually needed an external voltimeter to do that hah.

Mods: Dinan CAI + Stage 1 Software, Clears + LED tails, Leather M Shift knob, Meyle HD FCABs, Orion V2 6000k Angel Eyes, VMR V710 18" Wheels

Old 05-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Anything that comes up red is bad and needs to be checked immediately. Battery light coming on would mean check either your battery or terminals, or connections somewhere.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
D3LM3L

I just did a voltage test and it read 12.1-12.2 before starting and 13.9 with the engine on, which, as far as I know, is pretty normal. The light came on again this morning after starting my car and turned off for a moment and then came back on again. I shut off my car, checked the battery connections to see if everything was okay, and then started the car up again -- no lights came on.

What the heck is going on???

Old 05-31-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
CrisB02

My Ride: 330I
Send a message via AIM to CrisB02
I want to say it sounds like a break in the rotor of the alternator. It happen to me a while back and it cost me 50 bucks to get a replacement rotor and I was back on the road. Loose wire wont be affected by the speed of the motor, besides if anything was loose you would burn the plastic coating off with a quickness. Because of the resistance and the amount of power the car requires to be functional.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
D3LM3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisB02 View Post
I want to say it sounds like a break in the rotor of the alternator. It happen to me a while back and it cost me 50 bucks to get a replacement rotor and I was back on the road. Loose wire wont be affected by the speed of the motor, besides if anything was loose you would burn the plastic coating off with a quickness. Because of the resistance and the amount of power the car requires to be functional.
You think if I go back to the mechanic who installed the alternator he would check for this? I have no experience with working with the alternator so I don't know how else to check the rotor.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
CrisB02

I still have the original battery that came in the car from the factory. It is in perfect working condition.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
defbee

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Could be the Water Pump/Alternator pulley is going out, that happened to me on a previous E46.
BMW 330ci
defbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
CrisB02

Take it back to the mechanic and explain to him what is going on. How long ago did you replace the alt?
Old 06-04-2010, 11:48 PM   #13
guscavalieri

My Ride: 2000 323i
It's going to sound weird but, the power steering reservoir is on top of the alternator, just as precaution, check IF there is any leak in the hose and this oil is going inside the alternator, this is going to kill it, that happen to me and the solution was to buy a can of circuit cleaner and with the battery disconnected spray liberaly inside the alternator, is going to dry really fast, after that replace the power steering hose (return) and voila!, no more issues with my alternator.
By the way, is a good idea to cover your alternator with a shield to prevent future leaks going into the opening of the alternatror; i'm working in that and I'll be posting some pictures soon.
guscavalieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #14
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Im pretty sure the red lamp indicates alternator output low or internal (alternator) regulator fail.

My wife's MINI just ate a battery which shares the "battery" indicator which never came on. The circuit does not monitor battery voltage, just charging status. The international icon should be an alternator but no one would get it. Our old cars displayed "alt" or "gen" remember? Your alt should be under warr.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
MiniXP

My Ride: 08 335i & 01 325xi
I don't know too much about alternator problems with these cars but I would assume if your voltage goes up one the car is running then that means the alternator is still functioning. My red battery light just came on today and when I tested the voltage it is at 12 something before I start it, and then once it's running drops down the 11.4. to 11.5. bad news for me i guess...
Old 10-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
Alextorres0890

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
red battery light

I drive an 01 BMW 325i, i was driving to school today and the red battery light turned on half way to the school, it turned off then turned back on after a few seconds, i got nervous because have never seen that before, and turned off the a.c and rolled down the windows after turning off radio and everything electrical, then when i got to the school and turned off the car it would not turn back on and would just click like if the battery was dead.. My battery had died about two weeks ago now that i think about it, then all of the cluster lit up, i am going to go check the battery in a bit.
Alextorres0890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #17
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
The Battery Light is really a Charging System Light, and it means the alternator has stopped working. It does not mean the battery is giving you trouble.

Your battery is dead because the alternator is not charging it up anymore. You might still have a serviceable battery, but until the alternator comes back online there is no way to tell. Well, you could take the battery to the store for testing, but even if the battery is good, the charging system is still toast. You need an alternator. More accurately, you need a voltage regulator.

THIS POST IS IN REPLY TO POST #16. THE THREAD WAS REVIVED.

Last edited by jdstrickland; 10-17-2012 at 07:57 PM.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #18
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
You either have a problem with your belts, or alternator, or wiring. Run it too long that way you might also end up with a battery problem. Red lights mean you have a problem that needs to be fixed. Often this just means your alternator needs new brushes - they are carbon and wear out.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #19
0mega9

My Ride: 330Xi
Take it to the mechanic and have them check the alternator and belts...
If it just got installed 6 months ago, it should still be under warranty...

Don't waste too much time with that, it can lead to other electrical problems while you are driving...

If I were you, I would take the car to a third party shop and have them do the test on the alternator and battery... Just to see what they say, compared to just going back to the shop where they install your current alternator.

Good luck...
0mega9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #20
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Say what? If the belts were broken, the report would be that the car overheats. The belt (there is only one that goes to the alternator) cannot be the problem in the absence of overheating. It is absolutely true that the broken belt will turn on the alternator light (charging system light), but if this was the case then the car would also overheat very quickly.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote