E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
magnuzza

My Ride: Black 323i
*Video* Creaking spring noise while turning?

I realized few days ago that when I turn left (only when I turn left) on slow speed or at stop my car making this creaking noise (kinda like a spring being compressed feel on the steering wheel) on the front driver side. I brought the car for inspection on a local shop and the mechanic told me that it's because of bad wheel bearing and bad strut. I take a look on the strut and I noticed that the boot is split (is this mean something?). Do you think this 2 is the problem?

I know before I brought the car there that I have bad wheel bearing, but I'm not sure if wheel bearing make this kind of noise. Also would it be safe to drive in this condition for the next 2 weeks?

Will appreciate any help.

Thanks

magnuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
xi325xi02

My Ride: 325xi
I have the exact same problem. in for answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad328i View Post
you want ladys damm, get a punchin hard ass sound system
I HATE CVT'S
xi325xi02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuzza View Post
I realized few days ago that when I turn left (only when I turn left) on slow speed or at stop my car making this creaking noise (kinda like a spring being compressed feel on the steering wheel) on the front driver side. I brought the car for inspection on a local shop and the mechanic told me that it's because of bad wheel bearing and bad strut. I take a look on the strut and I noticed that the boot is split (is this mean something?). Do you think this 2 is the problem?

I know before I brought the car there that I have bad wheel bearing, but I'm not sure if wheel bearing make this kind of noise. Also would it be safe to drive in this condition for the next 2 weeks?

Will appreciate any help.

Thanks
Mag, I honestly don't know about the bearing...sound...does not seem like that at all. Bearing sounds like a whoop whoop and when the tire is under load. If you had a bad bearing when you bought the car and haven't replaced it, you still have it...but that sounds way to quick of a creak to be a bearing...to my ear anyway.

Honestly, I was thinking more steering, since you said it's only when you're steering. You've checked fluid level and condition?

Very rapid click...couldn't be associated with bearing at that speed...not saying your bearing isn't bad...but that's almost assuredly not this sound.

Not seeing a click source from a bad strut either...but here I have to plead mostly ignorance.

No, I think I've got to go with steering related...and maybe you should check the PS pump and/or pulley (there is a pulley on pump, right? Haven't done it so don't know for sure, but think there is...I know I pulled it off, but just can't remember off hand.) Left hand wheel...pump is right there.

Ah, get hose and stick in ear and at pump while someone you trust with your car drives it very slow.

I hope you've just let it get low on fluid or haven't changed fluid in a while...time for turkey baster or full flush maybe.

Sorry, that's all I got...hope it helps!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
loginfailed

My Ride: My buddies 350hp
Mine does that too but its not nearly as loud. I only hear it on rare occasion though. Mine is due for a complete front end overhaul though, so mine could be coming from anything down there. Ball joints, tie rods, strut mounts/struts, etc.

I'd be surprised if the wheel bearing would make that sound but anythings possible.

Try putting your hand on different places under there while someone is turning the wheel for you. You can usually isolate the noise by whatever part feels like its creaking the most. Put your hand on the spring, the strut, the outer tie rod, the steering rack, the lower control arm, the lower ball joints, etc till you find whats vibrating the most.

Last edited by loginfailed; 05-30-2010 at 07:40 PM.
loginfailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
xi325xi02

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Mag, I honestly don't know about the bearing...sound...does not seem like that at all. Bearing sounds like a whoop whoop and when the tire is under load. If you had a bad bearing when you bought the car and haven't replaced it, you still have it...but that sounds way to quick of a creak to be a bearing...to my ear anyway.

Honestly, I was thinking more steering, since you said it's only when you're steering. You've checked fluid level and condition?

Very rapid click...couldn't be associated with bearing at that speed...not saying your bearing isn't bad...but that's almost assuredly not this sound.

Not seeing a click source from a bad strut either...but here I have to plead mostly ignorance.

No, I think I've got to go with steering related...and maybe you should check the PS pump and/or pulley (there is a pulley on pump, right? Haven't done it so don't know for sure, but think there is...I know I pulled it off, but just can't remember off hand.) Left hand wheel...pump is right there.

Ah, get hose and stick in ear and at pump while someone you trust with your car drives it very slow.

I hope you've just let it get low on fluid or haven't changed fluid in a while...time for turkey baster or full flush maybe.

Sorry, that's all I got...hope it helps!

Doug
Idk if this is the problem. This only happens (for me at least, but I think we have the same problem) almost under full lock when turning to the left. No noise whatsoever when turning right, even when at full lock to the left. Its just irritating for me, goes away sometimes and comes back. Ill be sure to check my fluids and all that, but idk, just seems odd.

Edit: I bet your right about the steering part. Its def steering related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad328i View Post
you want ladys damm, get a punchin hard ass sound system
I HATE CVT'S
xi325xi02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by xi325xi02 View Post
Idk if this is the problem. This only happens (for me at least, but I think we have the same problem) almost under full lock when turning to the left. No noise whatsoever when turning right, even when at full lock to the left. Its just irritating for me, goes away sometimes and comes back. Ill be sure to check my fluids and all that, but idk, just seems odd.

Edit: I bet your right about the steering part. Its def steering related.
The only other thought I had was to check the ball joints for damaged rubber...as maybe as someone said, something like that. If real dried out, a ball joint might creak like that in a socket...like totally dry...but that video showed the car going so slow, I sort of doubt that...though if ball joint, check the sway bar end links too...check the top one on the strut. If struts were replaced during the life of the car before you, I'll bet you that if an indy did it, they might have used a fat wrench and tore the rubber up...I could see that creaking...and again...right where you're hearing the sound.

Again, hose in ear, other end of hose around parts in car...you'll be able to isolate sound if you feed slow driver a beer every now and again. Think with your hose, Jimmy!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
scoon

My Ride: 2001 325i
Hey there,

Binging this back with a bump. I have the same pirate ship creak going on. I am going to flush the PS fluid. The passenger side control arm slightly rocks at the point where it attaches to the hub. Both sway bar end links flex when squeezed by hand. Neither strut is leaking so I don't think they are suspect and all lug nuts are tight. It seems to me, I should replace my control arms, end links and just because they are cheap, I'll replace the sway bar bushings and clamps.

I don't think I am missing anything, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks.
scoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
welcome pirate ship creak club

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=pirate+creak

Actually my creaking has went away for the last week or so. It's been all silent up front for now
but I know it will return. It always does.
I know I need new tires. I'm wondering if it is the tires.

Quote:
Here are two videos of the dreaded e46 pirate ship creak issue that I have been having:

For my car it is not as loud as you see in those videos and I ONLY seem to hear it when driving and turning slow, or driving slowly over a speed bump or bumpy road (and it is an off and on thing that goes and come and doesn't always creak).

In my quest to find the source of my creaking I had my car looked at over the weekend by a professional at a local shop and everything checked out.(Control Arms, Bushings, Tie Rod, End Links, etc...) But my car still creaks.

So today I realized I forgot to mention the strut/shocks to the guy and decided to do my own inspection. here are pictures of the only discrepency that I saw. On my Passenger side the tower or tube body is covered by a thick caked layer of something. This caked layer is also all over everything else in the wheel arch cavity on that side.

Passenger's Side:

Compared to Driver's Side:

The struts doesn't seem to be leaking or have any noise issues at all when I tested them.

What is that?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 07-17-2010 at 12:52 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
delmarco

Pirate Ship Creaking Solved!

Quote:
My car had this problem a while back. I took it to the dealer and they said it was related to the strut bearings. Also they said their is some rubber around the bearing that was breaking down from being a "bad batch of rubber"!? haha I dont know. either way they fixed it!
http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/s...eaking-noise??

Old 07-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
Cowspoo

My Ride: 328Ci
The last video was interesting!

In for an answer too. Mine's on the driver side front wheel
Old 07-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #11
afstud

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6-speed
i had this creeking on my car and i sprayed everything with WD-40 and it hasnt come back since.. and this was about a month ago, i sprayed all of the strut towers and andthing that moves ill let you know when i start hearing it again but so far its gone completly.
afstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
I am joining the club too although mine only happens when I turn right. Also I have fairly new struts <20k on them, so I hope it's not them. They are H&R touring cup kit.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
323I00

My Ride: E46 323I
Can be one of the 3 or 4things.

1- Lower control carm
2- end links /sway bar
3- Tie rod
4-Rack pin..
323I00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
^I'm kind of eliminating anything steering rack or pump related since it only happens on occasion and always turning to the right. My guess is one of those three bushings you listed.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #15
agliozzo

My Ride: 01 O'Blue Met. 330Ci
I just fixed an identical problem at 95k miles on my '01 330Ci.... and I mean the video from the original post by Magnuzza sounds like a recording of the noise MY car used to make, also only at low/no speed too. If you have more than 50k miles on ANY set of BMW-supplied e46 front lower control arms, there's a good chance you have one or more A) broken outter balljoint(s), B) torn, ripped, popped or otherwise mangled FLCA bushing(s).

On my car: The genius mechanic put his ear close to the car and declared a worn out steering rack as I demonstrated the problem. $1100.00 parts and labor. Good thing I just happened to have a set of Meyle/HD front lower control arms with bushings and carriers sitting on my shelf ready to go. Good thing I decided that I might as well finally install them in order to take advantage of the alignment I was already gonna hafta get when I got my "worn out steering rack" replaced anyhow. (Now imagine a stack of eleven $100.00 bills evaporating before the eyes of the "genius" mechanic.) no more noise.

Once I got the old control arms off the car, the left outter balljoint was very obviously trashed and makes a vaguely familiar click when yanking on the stem. The old control arm bushings are as compliant as rubber bands. I have a pretty good idea how these broken parts conspired to make my car sound just like Magnuzza's car in the video.

Just to suggest: With the car raised and wheel off, it is very easy to check out these items. Fore and aft pressure on the lower control arm causes the tail of the arm to move obviously excessively side to side. ... 3/8 - 1/2" either side of center of the bushing carrier .... Rocking the rotor side to side using alternating push/pull on the top and bottom exhibits play and accompanying clunk. An observer can determine if this is in fact balljoint play by viewing from the front while someone else rocks the rotor from the side. If balljoint and bushing are broken on the same side (or both are broken on both sides), perhaps there's a chance this is the culprit as with my car.

Good Luck,

-Andy
agliozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #16
agliozzo

DELMARCO - If you live in New York any place where it snows, that crap in the strutwell stands a good chance of being road salt, or less likely sand. California spreads sand for traction control on plowed roads. New York can and does use salt. Nasty. (Not bein' a snob. Just glad there isn't car eating stuff on the roads in the state where I am trapped.) Wish I could help with an east coast car.
-Andy
Old 08-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #17
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by agliozzo View Post
DELMARCO - If you live in New York any place where it snows, that crap in the strutwell stands a good chance of being road salt, or less likely sand. California spreads sand for traction control on plowed roads. New York can and does use salt. Nasty. (Not bein' a snob. Just glad there isn't car eating stuff on the roads in the state where I am trapped.) Wish I could help with an east coast car.
-Andy
It is not salt!

1. salt is a water solvent. That thing on my passenger side strut is a moist oily residue caked over with dust of some sort. also when wet salt dries it leaves a white streak patten. It is the middle of summer and my car was throrougly washed multiple times since the last time it snowed or the roads had any salt on it.

2. I've never driven my car in snow/salt roads (it is parked in aa garage in the winter months-and only taken out when the roads are clear)

3. When we say they salt the roads in NY we don't mean the roads are covered end to end in salt. It is more of a salt dust that gets blown around the air. So if anything salt residue will get in your grills and under your hood.
Salty dirty snow/ice tends to stick on the rear lower arch of your wheel well. The stuff in my wheel well is in the upper front half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323I00 View Post
Can be one of the 3 or 4things.

1- Lower control carm
2- end links /sway bar
3- Tie rod
4-Rack pin..
All this (except the rack/pinion business) was profesionally looked on my car at and eliminated at a shop.

Last edited by delmarco; 08-01-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #18
agliozzo

Hey DEL - That was my plan when I was gonna move to Lon gIsland: Garage the Beemer in the winter and drive the truck. However much salt there is, sounds like you got a handle on it. I was just guessing. I'll try to go back and change my original post from reading "stands a good chance of being road salt" to "stands NO chance of being road salt whatsoever"

PeaceOut,

-Andy