E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
M3nthusiast

My Ride: schoolbus
Send a message via AIM to M3nthusiast
S54 into 330i - help needed

Hi all!

So recently Ive been working with my local mechanic on getting a S54 transplanted and running* in a 2002 330i! This is a task neither of us have done before, but easily got the motor in, and we believe everything grounded/wired correctly!

Right now the car has spark and cranks (tested with Brake cleaner through intake) but is not getting fuel. So, out came our meter and fuse by fuse we checked, and as you would suspect, the fuel pump relay had burnt. So, replacing the fuse today, I now have power back to the fuel pump, but I cant hear/feel it prime.

Just a FYI, Im using the 330's fuel pump. So my question for those that have completed this, do you need to run the M3 fuel pump/regulator/lines ect? Or can you re-use the 330's?

Apprentice any advice/info/help!

Cheers,
Chasen
M3nthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Gunsnbacon

My Ride: 2001 330ci
I always heard the fuel pump and lines are swapped too. Not entirely sure though. I'm undertaking something similar but I am swapping the pump and lines just to be safe. Doing tons of research while the engine is in its rebuild process. I think the stock runs 3.5 bar in a 330 and 5 bar in a m3 so a lot more pressure from the m3 so I would think it is required.

Last edited by Gunsnbacon; 06-03-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Gunsnbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
M3nthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsnbacon View Post
I always heard the fuel pump and lines are swapped too. Not entirely sure though. I'm undertaking something similar but I am swapping the pump and lines just to be safe. Doing tons of research while the engine is in its rebuild process. I think the stock runs 3.5 bar in a 330 and 5 bar in a m3 so a lot more pressure from the m3 so I would think it is required.
Yeah, figured as much. Shop and I decided to purchase a high pressure fuel pump today, so it should exceed any needs I plan for the motor in the future!

Thanks!

ps. Youre in Myrtle Beach, SC? Ill be there in 2 weeks! Although, not with the 4door
Old 06-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
M cars run a different fuel pump, filter and separate Fuel pressure regulator and as I recall run higher fuel pressure.

Read the 2nd link below in my signature for fuel pump and pressure issues.

Your original pump may be failing to start due tot he car sitting for a while anyway.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
M3nthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
M cars run a different fuel pump, filter and separate Fuel pressure regulator and as I recall run higher fuel pressure.

Read the 2nd link below in my signature for fuel pump and pressure issues.

Your original pump may be failing to start due tot he car sitting for a while anyway.

Yeah the car has sat for 6years... Never started. I came into the build pretty much completed (swap wise) so I'm trying to pick up where the build left off. Overall it'll work out, nay just take another month or two as I won't have much time any more.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
BartenderPlease
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 328i Sport
This should be easy for you to get going. Looking forward to results. I want to say your OEM pump flows enough with an early e46 M3 FPR, but it works harder and is prone to fail quicker. Getting a new one was not a bad idea though.

AERA Hi-Perf Engine Builder
| BBS | FK | Rogue Eng | K&N | Exhaust | 330i Brakes |
| b30 manifold | ported head | FX-R/Orion V4 | LEDs |
| Alcantara | Khoalty Knob | JL Audio |

Last edited by BartenderPlease; 06-17-2014 at 03:29 PM.
BartenderPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
I swapped S54 into E46 without any problems. You are doing something wrong
Old 06-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #8
BMW WHP

My Ride: 2001 330Ci w/ stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
I swapped S54 into E46 without any problems. You are doing something wrong
Another award winning post, why don't you try being part of the solution instead of being part of the problem.

You must really need attention, try helping.
BMW WHP is offline   Reply With Quote