E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2017, 06:37 PM   #1
Tvang

My Ride: Infiniti G35 Coupe
2002 330Ci Help!!! Plz???

I don't own a BMW, but my father does. So let me explain quickly as to the issues he is having.

He pumped a full tank of ethanol by mistake. Shop told him engine needed to be replaced along with cats. His engine had 200k+ miles on it. The new one has 100k+.

Went with him to the shop today and the car purred beautifully. Except it has a check engine light and shop is stating all 4 o2 sensors are bad. It gets worse...

We then drove it. Car does not recognize sport mode and the manual gear -/+ does inot function. The car has zero to no low end torque. The car seemed to give better torque once the car got up to a higher speed. From a dead stop, pedal to the floor and it crawls with engine sounding loud like it is trying to move, but slowly accelerates.

So before he loses more money or if he should just give up on it, I wanted to see what some of you think as to what is possibly causing this and remedies with a $$$ amount. Sorry if this has been discuses befor but just google searching brought me to here and thought I'd ask actual owners. Thanks in advance everyone.
Tvang is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:39 AM   #2
stefm5

My Ride: 2001 530i
replaced engine because of ethanol?
why?
stefm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:42 AM   #3
Tvang

Apparently, the ethanol damaged the engine to the point where they said he needed a new one. He did tell me that after he pumped and drove home there was a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:55 AM   #4
stefm5

why ethanol damaged the engine? it is not diesel..
even if the fuel trims weren't correct, even a headgasket was blown, why change the engine?
so many m5x engines use ethanol with different set-up.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:25 AM   #5
Tvang

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefm5 View Post
why ethanol damaged the engine? it is not diesel..
even if the fuel trims weren't correct, even a headgasket was blown, why change the engine?
so many m5x engines use ethanol with different set-up.
That was my main concern to begin with and questioned if it was truly necessary to replace the engine. Per the shop (not a BMW service shop), the ethanol damaged gaskets and got to places it shouldn't have been. Corroded o2 sensors and toasted the cats. As to what was damaged so badly that it needed an engine swap, that I do not know.

But moving on from that, since the engine was already swapped, any help or thoughts about the issues originally asked?
Old 05-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #6
stefm5

stop trusting the 'shop' and check MIL codes.
if 2 front oxygen sensors are damaged start from changing them.
did they also swap ECU?
Old 05-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #7
Tvang

I'm assuming they did not swap the ecu. They told him that they cleaned the sensors but they're still throwing a check engine code and advised him that he "should" be just fine and it shouldn't be an issue... smh... what a headache
Old 05-16-2017, 08:21 AM   #8
stefm5

bad sensors shouldn't be an issue??? how the hell engine could operate in close loop?
stay away from this shop.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #9
Tvang

That is exactly the tough part. He knows the owner and is assuming that they are taking care of him but it sounds very suspicious
Old 05-16-2017, 08:40 PM   #10
Tvang

Anyhow, in case anybody is wondering. They replaced the o2 sensors with no charge and it is running just fine again. The explanation was that the ecu put the car in "lame" mode as a precautionary type safety.

Last edited by Tvang; 05-16-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:28 AM   #11
Blu302

My Ride: '98 E46 323i
The car would be in "limp-home" mode because the fuel trims were out of limits.

New tank of good fuel and adaptation reset. You can clear the errors too. The car will take time to come good.

Power is knowledge, So share the knowledge!!
Blu302 is offline   Reply With Quote