E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2003, 10:06 AM   #1
325iBiMMeR

My Ride: 02 325i Pinto
Send a message via AIM to 325iBiMMeR
Back Dash

Hey guys I have a 325i with no ski pass or fold down seats so it really sucks I can't seem to get sound into the cabin so I have decided to cut some holes in the back dash just like to port the subs in the trunk. Thinking about cutting 2 5/6 inch wholes in the back dash. A couple of things I really need to know.

1. How do you take apart the back dash just the top carpeting inside the cabin .

2. What kind of tool should I use to cut these wholes. I was thinkin about a Jig Saw any other suggestions.

3. Do you guys think it will actually make a big difference in sound?

Thx for your help.

Mods:
19x8.5 ADR M-Sports Hyper Black
M-Tech Front
M-Tech Rear
Painted moldings
Painted Grill
Gruppe M
UUC Twin Silencer Exhaust
Euro Clears
Silver Visions

Interior:
2 10inch Alpine Type R
Hard Wired V1
325iBiMMeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:58 AM   #2
fuschnicken
][D ][ ][V][ ][D

My Ride: Breyton 3
Send a message via AIM to fuschnicken Send a message via MSN to fuschnicken
I wouldn't recommend cutting holes in the dash. If you want to get more sound into the cabin, remove the rear speakers.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:05 AM   #3
325iBiMMeR

Well I did think about removing the rear speakers but I really want to keep them so it would sound better. If i were to cut straight throught I would put speaker covers over the whole. Or I wouldn't cut throught all the way and just leave the top cover on unless it rattles. I really want to keep the rear speakers thats why I wanted to cut some holes

Mods:
M-Tech Front
M-Tech Rear
Painted moldings
Painted Grill
Gruppe M
Euro Clears
Silver Visions

Interior:
2 10inch Alpine Type R
Hard Wired V1
Old 04-10-2003, 11:21 AM   #4
Keeferno
Mod Junkie

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Get the plate behind the arm rest cut out. It'll be just like you have the ski pass through and you'll get plenty of sound especially when the arm rest is down.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:22 PM   #5
325iBiMMeR

Well the thing is that I don't have an arm rest. It doesn't go down it just the whole back seat thats why I just want to cut 2 holes in the back dash.

Mods:
M-Tech Front
M-Tech Rear
Painted moldings
Painted Grill
Gruppe M
Euro Clears
Silver Visions

Interior:
2 10inch Alpine Type R
Hard Wired V1
Old 04-10-2003, 05:27 PM   #6
Keeferno
Mod Junkie

My Ride: 2002 325xi
You could chop a couple of nice round holes and get some grills to put over them so they don't look bad I wouldn't think that a 5/6 inchhole would do much for you. I'd go more like 3 inch
Old 04-10-2003, 11:14 PM   #7
johnhab

My Ride: '02 330xi
Send a message via AIM to johnhab Send a message via Yahoo to johnhab
325iBiMMeR, I'm confused, did your car come with HK or not? If it didn't, doesn't the non-HK come with two speakers mounted in the rear deck (most call it a rear deck vs. a back dash)?

If the speakers in your rear deck are the HK subs, there's no reason to keep them, i.e., the bass wasn't enough for you, so you got the new subs. All the factory subs are doing is muffling the sound of the equipment you just spent money on.

If the speakers in the rear deck are the 6" woofer/midranges, you can also take them out, as they're not important enough to imaging to justify leaving them in and again muffling the new subs.

If you still want to cut holes in the rear deck, you have your work cut out for you. The instructions are on a BMW TIS disc, but I'll give you high-level view of how much needs to be done:

1) you have to remove the trim around where the seat belts enter the rear deck

2) you have to remove the at least the vertical portion of the rear seat

3) you have to remove the trim pieces between the rear deck and the rear window

4) after you pull out all those piece, there's some rivets on the front (behind where the seat used to be) and some screws in the trunk (think from under the deck) that need to be removed.

After all that's done, you should be able to pull the rear deck vertically, and have access to the metal plate that makes up the trunk internal "roof"

Good luck...

johnhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 03:27 AM   #8
spr0cket

My Ride: 325ci
If the car didn't ship with the HK system, then the two holes which the HK subs fire through are pre punched in the rear deck sheet steel.

From the trunk, look under the rear deck, towards the centre, there should be two circles which are pre stamped. Just a simple tap with a mallet and they can be knocked out, leaving two holes thorugh the deck which currently are unsed.

This is all assuming of course that you don't have the HK system - if you do, then as Johnhab has suggested, just remove the HK subs and eiother fabricate a baffle for some IB loaded drivers or that alone, will allow more air flow from trunk to interior. You could always go for a ported enclosure and vent the box with a JL flew port through one of the pre provided rear deck cutouts.....
spr0cket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 10:07 AM   #9
325iBiMMeR

Sorry for the confusion you guys. Yeah I don't have the HK system with my car. Taking apart the back dash seems pretty hard.

So I can just punch out those to pre cut hole in the trunk roof where the HK system is suppose to be? I'll go take a look at my car later today to see if it has it. So I would just punch those to holes out and remove the insulation between the the rear deck and metal sheet? Will It rattle?

Mods:
M-Tech Front
M-Tech Rear
Painted moldings
Painted Grill
Gruppe M
Euro Clears
Silver Visions

Interior:
2 10inch Alpine Type R
Hard Wired V1
Old 04-12-2003, 10:05 PM   #10
325iBiMMeR

There are no holes in the back trunk where the HK system is suppose to be. Nothing is the same on the top trunk roof. There are bumps and crap all over the place so I have no clue where to cut. What do you guys think?

Mods:
M-Tech Front
M-Tech Rear
Painted moldings
Painted Grill
Gruppe M
Euro Clears
Silver Visions

Interior:
2 10inch Alpine Type R