E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Deezee18

My Ride: 330xi 2001
330 Xi engine shot

Can anyone give me some advice? I've got 2001 330 Xi with 225000 km. For some reason coolant leaked and no warning light and engine died. Two mechanics said needs a new engine. Up here in Toronto easy to find 330I engine but not Xi. My mechanic says it must be Xi. Is that true? He did find a used one for $2900. I am wondering if it is worth pursuing, total repair $5000? Otherwise car is good body and interior like new. What could I expect with a replacement engine used? Am I just throwing away money? Any help appreciated
Deezee18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
e36-2.0

My Ride: 330xi
really? you should find a new mechanic.330i vs 330xi uses the same motor. only difference the xi is hooked up to a transfer case that powers front and rear wheels

'02 330xi
Konigsport/Ground Control/DPE/BMW Motorsport/Eurosport/Turner Motorsport/PowerFlex/RacingDynamics/Hotchkis/UUC/Beisan/Bimmerworld/Dinan/Conforti/RPI/GroupN/Technik/Dynavin

Alberta's BMW enthusiast forum.
-Projecttechnik.com
e36-2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
Deezee18

Another mechanic said also ok but needs aun oilpan change. Is that correct?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Sir, the ONLY difference in the xi to I motor is the pan.. honestly your old pan with the diff in it is more than likely good.. get a new motor a new mechanic and get your old oil pan checked the issue with that is.. to drop an XI oil pan it will be close to 1k in labor removing all the front axles/half shafts basically the whole sub frame has to come out to remove the oil pan. I recently had it done. forgive my ignorance... your having a motor swapped the old pan should/will bolt right up with the new motor. when you put the new pan with the diff in it (xi) have the fluids replaced also since all that is coming out it's a good time to get wheel bearings as i did and any other things you need done on the front end as it will be labor intensive to do it again at a later date. I mean he has to pull it all control arms have to be dropped everything. upgrade bushings etc if you want to keep this car... open your wallet.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
bombguy

My Ride: 2004 M3
Sounds like time for an S54 swap
bombguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Deezee18

Whoa. From that last explanation it sounds like it's time to call it a day
Old 06-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Xi uses a different oil pan which has a hole for the drive-shaft to pass.
In simple words - if you're not willing to do it yourself > it'll cost you a pretty penny, especially here in Toronto.

Give me a PM, I'm willing to buy your car outright. We'll talk about money.
I'm in Toronto

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
OP- I see no reason to ditch your xi. The front diff EASILY unbolts from the oil pan- 4 bolts. And axles can be removed in 5 minutes with air tools. At that point, the motor swap is as easy as a non-xi. If you need to swap in your xi oil pan, that's not a big deal either.

Sucks you need a motor, but it's not game over. You may even be able to just unbolt the oil pan and drop a new motor right in there.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
thefrog1394

My Ride: e46- 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
OP- I see no reason to ditch your xi. The front diff EASILY unbolts from the oil pan- 4 bolts. And axles can be removed in 5 minutes with air tools. At that point, the motor swap is as easy as a non-xi. If you need to swap in your xi oil pan, that's not a big deal either.

Sucks you need a motor, but it's not game over. You may even be able to just unbolt the oil pan and drop a new motor right in there.
"drop a new motor right in there" = $$$$$$$ when you have a mechanic do it. Plus the cost of a new one. If Blocked out is willing to give OP a decent price that may be a good way to go just to save the hassle and wasted time. Could be a decent excuse for an upgrade as well. Then again do your research, I don't know how many miles are on your car or what Blocked Out would give you but this is a very fixable issue so if you stand to save a lot of money by just fixing your current car no reason not to.

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
1999 323i - 210,000 miles and counting.
Rear Wheel Bearing Tool (SitTools B90) Rental, ~$60
thefrog1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
MP325

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezee18 View Post
Another mechanic said also ok but needs aun oilpan change. Is that correct?
Correct
Old 06-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrog1394 View Post
"drop a new motor right in there" = $$$$$$$ when you have a mechanic do it. Plus the cost of a new one. If Blocked out is willing to give OP a decent price that may be a good way to go just to save the hassle and wasted time. Could be a decent excuse for an upgrade as well. Then again do your research, I don't know how many miles are on your car or what Blocked Out would give you but this is a very fixable issue so if you stand to save a lot of money by just fixing your current car no reason not to.
Dude motors go bad. It happens. You can either cry about it, or put a new one in.

But that wasn't my point. Maybe it's possible to leave the original oil pan in the car, and drop a new motor (less oil pan) right on top of it. Probably wouldn't work but it would be alot cooler if it did, man.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #12
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezee18 View Post
Can anyone give me some advice? I've got 2001 330 Xi with 225000 km. For some reason coolant leaked and no warning light and engine died. Two mechanics said needs a new engine. Up here in Toronto easy to find 330I engine but not Xi. My mechanic says it must be Xi. Is that true? He did find a used one for $2900. I am wondering if it is worth pursuing, total repair $5000? Otherwise car is good body and interior like new. What could I expect with a replacement engine used? Am I just throwing away money? Any help appreciated
Just out of curiosity...coz I'm not a mechanic...but what did the two mechanics do to test your engine.

Obviously you overheated...did they diagnose based on what happened or from particular tests? If so, did they both do the same tests and give you the same 'results' from test.

I know they can ascertain whether head gasket or cylinder head is leaking/cracked...but wonder if they can know of more damage beyond that through tests. Coz I wonder if they're just thinking that from 'your point of view' the cost would be the same replacing head, versus whole engine...but it might just be head and that might be something you'd tackle diy whereas new engine install...maybe not.

Positive vibrations!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote