E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
rover220

My Ride: E61 Diesel
Rover220 House build thread - in Sweden

Hi all,

Inspired by Glights house building thread I thought I would share the process the wife and I are going through here in Sweden, hope it can be interesting to someone.

The used to live in an apparment just outside of Gothenburg (west coast of Sweden) but felt like creatíng something of our own and wanting to move to a more scenic area.

We finally found this plot about 30 minutes south of Gothenburg.

It needed some work since itīs quite uneven, slanting down towards the farming fields

We bought the plot late last year, and finally found a house builder and design that we liked.

It will be built like most houses here in Sweden, wood construction on a concrete slab.

It will be roughly 158 square meters in size, which equates to about 1700 square feet, taking up 1.5 floors. 3 Bedrooms, 2 bathrooms.

There were some trees to get rid of....

So we got a friend of my brothers to bring his machine out to level things out a bit

After going through all the procedures with the municipality we finally got the OK to go ahead with the building, this was just after the summer. The whole bureaucratic mess took about 6-7 months.

Underfloor heating going in

Time to pour the concrete

After letting that set for 3 days they started framing up the house.
This is about 2 weeks after they started

Not sure why this picture came out so crappy but it shows the outside. They have put on some insulation, on top of which the panelling on the outside will go.

They have pretty much finished with the tiling of the roof now, and the panelling on the outside is going on, havenīt got any pictures since last week so will get some done this weekend.

Feel free to ask questions, I will try and keep this somewhat updated and answer any questions you may have.

Greetings fellow fanatics.
rover220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Insanely awesome!

Whole house heated floors?

Electric or hot water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 11-08-2013 at 09:06 AM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
Kwando

My Ride: rolls Volks TE-37SL
Cool.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
I always hear whole house heated floors is a MUST in countries that have frigid winters.....apparently it saves a ton on overall heating costs.

Awesome looking house!

Present
2011 BMW 335d - die kohle rollen
Past
2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

1-22-2015 2-45-09 PM
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
*Sploosh*

I love unique houses And in a great place, too.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
I can't get over how clean this picture is. I've never seen a foundation built like that, but I really like it; it's so much better looking than concrete block.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 11-08-2013 at 09:21 AM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
rover220

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Insanely awesome!

Whole house heated floors?

Electric or hot water?
The whole bottom floor will have heated floors, water.

We opted for radiators on the top floor. Reason being partly the cost, and also it isnīt quite as necessary due to the insane amount of insulation that will go into the roof and walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I always hear whole house heated floors is a MUST in countries that have frigid winters.....apparently it saves a ton on overall heating costs.

Awesome looking house!
Yeah pretty much all new houses being built here have heated floors. Makes a huge difference, and itīs nice to not have cold feet during the winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
*Sploosh*

I love unique houses And in a great place, too.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
I can't get over how clean this picture is. I've never seen a foundation built like that, but I really like it; it's so much better looking than concrete block.
Our house is actually standing on stilts. The ground was deemed to be prone to erosion and what not, but everybody involved in the build so far has thought that to be rediculous. But rules are rules....

We have metal pilons driven into the ground until they hit the mountain below. The concrete is then poured so that the top of the pilons become a part of the concrete slab. What you donīt see in this picture is all the rebar that went into the mould before pouring the concrete.

I will post more pictures tomorrow, itīs looking very nice now but the rain is really coming down so didnīt want to be out there taking pictures today.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Old 11-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Hard to tell, but are the exterior wall studs 2x6's or larger?

"Nowhere in the college process is there any mechanism to talk people out of taking on student loans. It's in the best interest of the school to fill seats and society still continues to blindly believe a college education is the universal path to success."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
tenandtwo

My Ride: E46 330i, E36 (RIP)
I need more!!
Old 11-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Might be 2x8's but if it is than that is way wider than 16" O.C.
Vinnie Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Very nice..........I like this thread !

Did you build the house from a plan already drawn or did you custom build it yourself ?

I have seen some good reports about the 'pre-built' homes from Sweden, Finland and Norway that are built in factories under controlled conditions and then placed on a slab. They are supposed to be very energy efficient and modern. Are they popular ?

Is the ladder in this pic designed for removing snow in the winter ?
Or is it so Santa Clauss can drive to your house and THEN climb down the chimney ?
http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...V&fr=yfp-t-140

Last edited by Raymond42262; 11-09-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
rover220

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Uhm, good question. Iīll be honest, I donīt have a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenandtwo View Post
I need more!!
Look below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Vega View Post
Might be 2x8's but if it is than that is way wider than 16" O.C.
Yeah I donīt know what O.C means, and I have no clue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
Very nice..........I like this thread !

Did you build the house from a plan already drawn or did you custom build it yourself ?

I have seen some good reports about the 'pre-built' homes from Sweden, Finland and Norway that are built in factories under controlled conditions and then placed on a slab. They are supposed to be very energy efficient and modern. Are they popular ?

Is the ladder in this pic designed for removing snow in the winter ?
Or is it so Santa Clauss can drive to your house and THEN climb down the chimney ?
http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...V&fr=yfp-t-140
We chose a design that the house builder had in itīs books. So it isnīt a one off exactly. We have made some changes to the inside and moved some walls etc to open it up more.

We looked at house builders that do prefab sections as well, and while it has itīs advantages in terms of build speed the general consensus seems to be that you get better quality building it from scratch. We also have the option of changing things at the last minute which we wouldnīt have if we went prefab.

The house is coming along nicely, and below are pictures I took today.
The color is not what it will be in the end but we chose to have them do a darker base coat of paint so that when the wood contracts we wonīt end up with light or white lines on the surface. Makes it easier for us to paint later.

We are going for a dark brown, almost black, the one on there now it almost reddish brown.

Oh and we will have burnt orange doors haha, hope it will look good.

These are 3D renderings the house builder made to show what it will look like once itīs finished.

We are looking at moving in around April, at which point we will get to work on finished the upstairs level. We decided to do this ourselves to save a bit of money. Will be calling in a lot of favors but luckily we have some very capable friends and family.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
Raymond42262

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover220 View Post
I donīt know what O.C means, and I have no clue...

We have made some changes to the inside and moved some walls etc to open it up more.
O C means on center. Meaning...........in the U.S. most of the walls are built 16 inches on center......meaning you measure from the center of one joist /stud to the center of the other stud and the distance is 16 inches. Some walls are built with a 24 inch center but that is not too common. That is someone trying to save money.

Your home looks nice ! How common are attached garages ?

http://www.htoyh.com/content/finding_studs.pdf

Last edited by Raymond42262; 11-11-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
rover220

Sv: Rover220 House build thread - in Sweden

Quote:
O C means on center. Meaning...........in the U.S. most of the walls are built 16 inches on center......meaning you measure from the center of one joist /stud to the center of the other stud and the distance is 16 inches. Some walls are built with a 24 inch center but that is not too common. That is someone trying to save money.

Your home looks nice ! How common are attached garages ?

http://www.htoyh.com/content/finding_studs.pdf
Ah right. I'm not sure but it's 20 or 24" O C in that case. It's just how things are built here. The houses are pretty stable and we try to maximize the amount of insulation we use for obvious reasons.

Sent from my LT26i using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
House build thread in OT > Car build thread in Showroom

Awesome stuff, best of luck with the remainder of the work to be completed

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #16
tenandtwo

My Ride: E46 330i, E36 (RIP)
The surrounding area looks like a dream too!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
Raymond42262

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover220 View Post
Ah right. I'm not sure but it's 20 or 24" O C in that case. It's just how things are built here. The houses are pretty stable and we try to maximize the amount of insulation we use for obvious reasons.

Sent from my LT26i using BimmerApp mobile app
Yeah, 24 inch centers are fine. But you get into the 'that is the way it has always been done and that is the way my Daddy had our house built'....lol....

It's funny but homes built today are much stronger and durable that homes built as little as 30 years ago. Better inspection standards, building requirements.. They can build a stronger home with less wood.

But homes built in the U.S. are often built differently around the country. Homes in Florida and along the coast line have different building requirements for potential hurricanes, homes in California build them to earthquake standards and the Midwest builds them for long, cold winters. They are slightly different everywhere.

I noticed you used tiles on your roof. Some people use them here, but asphalt shingles are more popular .......probably about 85 or 90 percent of homes use asphalt shingles. Are they used in Sweden ? It seems that most homes in Europe use tile roofs. They are very attractive.

Last edited by Raymond42262; 11-11-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #18
rover220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoToyo View Post
House build thread in OT > Car build thread in Showroom

Awesome stuff, best of luck with the remainder of the work to be completed
Haha thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenandtwo View Post
The surrounding area looks like a dream too!
Itīs a very quiet area with lots of nature on our doorstep. But itīs only 3-4 minutes to the highway to go north or south.

Quote:

I noticed you used tiles on your roof. Some people use them here, but asphalt shingles are more popular .......probably about 85 or 90 percent of homes use asphalt shingles. Are they used in Sweden ? It seems that most homes in Europe use tile roofs. They are very attractive.
Tiles are the most common here. Either brick or concrete. People are using more and more of other materials but itīs not as prevalent. I think it has to do with cost and durability. Depending on the type of tiles you choose they can last anywhere from 30-100 years before they need replacing.

Last edited by rover220; 11-12-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #19
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
How much do tiles cost? Not sure what the unit of measure is.

"Nowhere in the college process is there any mechanism to talk people out of taking on student loans. It's in the best interest of the school to fill seats and society still continues to blindly believe a college education is the universal path to success."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #20
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Great thread.

How are you going to deal with the water runoff from the hill into your house? From the looks of your topography, you will have a water problem unless you design a french-drain at the base of your house, or a retaining wall to divert the water.

I have lived through several houses where water runoff became a costly problem. In fact, that is the first thing I thought of when I saw your house = "Man, I hope he is thinking about the water drainage"

Last edited by 325seeeye; 11-12-2013 at 12:08 PM.
325seeeye is offline   Reply With Quote