E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2016, 08:32 PM   #1
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
The right to bear arms has mostly been for white people

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...mepage%2Fstory

Quote:
When Philando Castile, a black man legally carrying a concealed weapon, was shot dead by police during a traffic stop in Minnesota this month for no apparent reason other than that he was armed, it might have seemed odd that the National Rifle Association failed to rally behind the case. The Second Amendment protects everyone’s right to bear arms, not just white people’s, right?

By the light of the law, the answer is easy: The Constitution prohibits racial discrimination in all rights, including the right to bear arms. By the light of history, however, the answer is far more complicated. From America’s earliest days, the right to bear arms has been profoundly shaped by race. Indeed, for much of our history, the right’s protections extended almost exclusively to whites.

The founding generation that adopted the Second Amendment also enacted racially discriminatory gun laws. Fearing slave revolts, early American lawmakers prohibited slaves — and often free blacks, too — from possessing weapons of any kind. Even in states where blacks were allowed to have guns, such as Virginia, they had to first obtain the permission of local officials. And while the “well regulated Militia” mentioned in the Constitution largely fell out of military use, such groups continued to be employed to capture runaway slaves.

After the Civil War, the question of guns and race changed: Many blacks from the South had obtained firearms when they fled to join colored units of the Union Army. When the war ended, the Army allowed them to keep their guns as compensation for unpaid wages. As many of those black soldiers returned to their home towns, those guns were seen by white racists as a threat to the enforcement of white supremacy. Armed blacks could fight back.

So Southern states passed the Black Codes, which among other things barred the freedmen from possessing firearms. Racists formed groups like the Ku Klux Klan, riding at night to terrorize blacks and take away their guns. Congress, still controlled by the North, reacted by proposing the 14th Amendment to make the Bill of Rights, which previously limited only the federal government, a limit on the states, too. It was the greatest expansion of constitutional rights in American history — and, as historians have shown, it was prompted in part by the desire to protect the right of freedmen to have guns for self-defense.

Discrimination continued despite the 14th Amendment, and it affected the scope of the right to bear arms. In the early 20th century, an influx of immigrants from Italy, Greece, Hungary, and elsewhere in eastern and southern Europe — who, in the biases of the era, were seen as inclined toward committing crime and carrying hidden weapons — led states and cities to enact laws to restrict concealed carry. These laws, which were supported by the NRA, gave broad discretion to local authorities to decide who had sufficiently good reason to carry guns in public. In a society marred by racism, minorities were rarely deemed worthy of exercising that right. Even the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. was turned down when he applied for a concealed-carry permit in 1956 after his house was bombed.

The civil rights movement was primarily about access to schools and jobs, but it also came to encompass guns and the Second Amendment. Despite King’s rejection of violence and its symbols, others saw guns as potent signifiers of empowerment and equal citizenship. Malcolm X and the Black Panthers took up arms and articulated a novel view of the Second Amendment: Not only did it guarantee the right to have a gun at home, it also protected the right to have a gun in public, where the threats (at least to blacks from police) were usually found. These activists also interpreted the Second Amendment as providing a right to take up arms against a tyrannical government — which, in their case, meant racist police officers. In standing up against police violence, Malcolm X and the Black Panthers were ancestors of Black Lives Matter. Lawmakers in states such as California responded by passing new gun regulations intended to disarm black radicals.

Armed civil rights activists were also early forerunners of the modern gun rights movement. The Panthers’ view of the Second Amendment eventually caught on among white activists, too. In the 1980s, the NRA began to argue that the amendment protected a right to carry guns in public — and launched a remarkably successful 30-year campaign to overturn the very concealed-carry laws the group had endorsed years earlier.

Today, gun rights activists unwittingly echo Malcolm X when they say the Second Amendment entitles people to own weapons in case they need to revolt against a tyrannical government. And when open-carry advocates go to a protest with rifles slung across their backs, they are mimicking the Panthers, who in 1967 showed up at the California statehouse to protest gun-control proposals with long guns in their hands. Oh, the irony: The modern gun rights movement — mostly white, rural conservatives — grew out of ideas first promoted by black, urban, left-leaning radicals.

Gun politics remain highly racialized. Racial minorities are currently among the biggest supporters of gun control and whites the biggest opponents. In recognition of the nation’s changing demographics, the NRA is making a major push to diversify: Its new spokesman, Colion Noir, is an engaging African American millennial. Yet the NRA’s annual convention remains largely a sea of white folks. And as the NRA’s reluctance to make a statement in support of Philando Castile suggests — many believe the group would have immediately backed a white concealed-carrier in such circumstances — there is still a long way to go.

All Americans can claim to be part of “the people” whose right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed by the Second Amendment. Yet because of the interaction of guns and race, that right has not been equally enjoyed by racial minorities. As long as the unfortunate strands of our racist past continue to shape our attitudes — and those of police officers like the one who shot Castile — racial minorities will continue to be the Second Amendment’s second-class citizens.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 07-17-2016 at 05:01 AM.
MDydinanM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:27 PM   #2
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Lol

Herbert Camacho '16

"Every age has its peculiar folly: Some scheme, project, or fantasy into which it plunges, spurred on by the love of gain, the necessity of excitement, or the force of imitation." - Charles Mackay Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841)
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:30 PM   #3
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Ever seen a black bear? Your move, negroes
Old 07-16-2016, 11:47 PM   #4
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God

Herbert Camacho '16

"Every age has its peculiar folly: Some scheme, project, or fantasy into which it plunges, spurred on by the love of gain, the necessity of excitement, or the force of imitation." - Charles Mackay Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841)
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #5
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Interesting article. The historical correlations, if true, are intriguing.

It loses me, however, when it bitches about the NRA not responding to Castille's death and demanding justice. That sh1t I'm tired of. I'm tired of hearing how "Justice" should come before investigation, fact-finding, and indictment. The mere idea of waiting for all the facts now in these cases makes you racist and bigotted. Well those who believe that sh1t can take a short walk off a tall building for all I care.

It also seems to me that despite the article's assertions, African Americans excercise 2nd amendment rights every day, legally and illegally. There are millions of legal black ccp holders who legally excercise their rights, even if they don't attend NRA conventions. And there are tens of thousands of gang members who commit inner-city violence who illegally carry and use firearms.

The article is a little too coy on those two points, preferring instead to ramble on about previous institutional racism and a history of firearm ownership by blacks in the past.

Personally, I'd love more people of all races to legally excercise their second amendment rights. At that point, maybe we can come close to stopping the unending assault on fundamental constitutional liberties by leftists each citizen of this country is entitled to excercise.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
So, a country that had black slaves and treated them as property more than people for the almost a century, and then still treated them as "lesser" people for another century, hasn't always treated the rights of minorities as equal to the rights of white people? Color me shocked by such surprising news. Perhaps next someone could introduce the writer of that gibberish to Jim Crow laws.
Wraisil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #7
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge
2nd Amendment: For White People, By White People.

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #8
Black///M

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
All because of Rosewood.
Black///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #9
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
The NRA did come out with a statement a few days after the Philando Castille shooting - the media is just choosing to ignore it because they don't want it repeated.

This is featured on the front page of the NRA website:

Last edited by brew; 07-18-2016 at 12:02 PM.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #10
chikoo

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer325 View Post
2nd Amendment: For White People, By White People.
By, for and against White people.

The founding fathers missed thinking about black against white.
chikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #11
Rif Raf

My Ride: 2001 330i w/ Sport
Old 07-18-2016, 01:33 PM   #12
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post
By, for and against White people.

The founding fathers missed thinking about black against white.
Being that a good chunk of the Founding Fathers were slave owners, they thought a lot about black against white. Washington tried to ignore the issue in the hopes it would quietly go away. He didn't make a stand against it because he didn't want to put any strain on the Union of the States (cheap help didn't his thinking, either).

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:38 PM   #13
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

My Ride: Currently a blonde!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
The NRA did come out with a statement a few days after the Philando Castille shooting - the media is just choosing to ignore it because they don't want it repeated.

This is featured on the front page of the NRA website:

CN is one of my favorites. He is usually spot on too!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #14
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
common sense usually is.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #15
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Quote:
Only because he's your secret alter ego!
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #16
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

My Ride: Currently a blonde!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Only because he's your secret alter ego!

[gulp]
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #17
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:

[gulp]
Do you have a man crush?

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote