E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Audiophile Thread

So there isn't an audiophile thread around here. I'm not a massive audiophile but I like to own nice audio equipment for personal use.

I recently lost my Sony MDR-V6 on a Turkish Airlines flight, so I'm looking to replace them. Options are:

Sony MDR-V6
Audio Technica ATH-M30x or M40x
Sennheiser HD280 Pro

What gear is everyone else using around here?

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
wow those audio technica ones are cheap. i might look into those. currently rocking bose qc15 they're nice but a little heavy due to noise canceling. i would go with the ae2 for a lighter, no airplane option.
although just had a botched ear surgery so idk what i'll do. can't hear too much out of my left ear.

Last edited by peytonracer4; 10-22-2014 at 05:42 PM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
tinkwithanr

My Ride: '00 323i + '75 2002
I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's and I love em. Very comfortable (I can wear them all day at work) and while they aren't electronically noise cancelling, they do a very good job of muffling external noises.

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all
Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep
Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history
Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now
tinkwithanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
I have audio technica noise cancelling headphones, they work great and were $200 cheaper than the Bose ones.

Most audiophiles lie about what they can and can't hear anyway. Human hearing has a limit, people's wallets and egos sometimes don't.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
WDE46

This price range for prosumer headphones is really competitive. IMO it's the sweet spot in the market for quality. Every product has that sweet spot where an amateur won't benefit too much more by blowing more money. So you could get these for 90% listening quality (just a made up figure) and blow $300 to reach 95%.

The MDR-V6 is renowned as one of the best headphones period in any price range at least for monitoring. I want them again because I loved my pair but I kind of want to try something else. I'm leaning towards the HD280 at the moment.

I think you'll find that Noise Canceling is inferior to isolating headphones like the ones I named. They just cover your ears and physically block outside noise from going in as well as keep your music from bleeding out. Absolutely perfect for flights and public listening.

Last edited by WDE46; 10-22-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
I'm an audiophile when it comes to home theater & movies... I don't really care about head phones at all.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
I'm an audiophile when it comes to home theater & movies... I don't really care about head phones at all.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Feel free to dump your setup info here. I'm kind of interested in that too. When I buy a home, a nice stereo will be one of the first things I would like to buy once I'm settled in. For now, I can only enjoy audio with nice headphones due to apartment living.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
AmmitOsiris

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
I just buy crapppy 20 dollar ones every few months because I use em for work... And they break a lot... But on those long rides as a passenger I would use a pair of beats..

But the h/k system in my car works wonders with the iPod hookup
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #9
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
I just buy crapppy 20 dollar ones every few months because I use em for work... And they break a lot... But on those long rides as a passenger I would use a pair of beats..

But the h/k system in my car works wonders with the iPod hookup
See this is where you're screwing up. Buy one of the pairs I listed and they'll last a decade. Beats are a terrible purchase.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
See this is where you're screwing up. Buy one of the pairs I listed and they'll last a decade. Beats are a terrible purchase.
This I will agree with. Also the HK system sucks bawls. Listen to the system in some of the other cars, especially the bang and olufsen in Audis.

Also, I've tried noise isolating and for an airplane, they aren't as good as pair of good cancelling headphones. They have better sound but I just want to cancel out the engines, I can tolerate a less than optimal audio performance. Obviously don't buy sh1tty ones though.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 10-22-2014 at 05:58 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #11
b0bab0i

My Ride: x
No one uses earbuds?

I use Shure SE215-K earbuds.

I don't like headphones because most are bulky and require a carrying case when putting them away while traveling.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #12
daedalus34r

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
what would you guys consider to be a solid but reasonable step up from the sony MDRV6s?

Ive been using them for a long time, have no complaints, but wonder what is worth a nominal extra $.
daedalus34r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #13
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Feel free to dump your setup info here. I'm kind of interested in that too. When I buy a home, a nice stereo will be one of the first things I would like to buy once I'm settled in. For now, I can only enjoy audio with nice headphones due to apartment living.
you'll want the bic america f12 sub if you're on a budget. it's not a budget sub but it's price would make you think otherwise.
i have this paired with two polk r50 floor standing speakers and it sounds amazing. it's my go to when listening to anything. it's being powered by a H/K AVR 140. the speakers could probably benefit from a more powerful amp. but for a bedroom setup, it can really crank.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #14
b0bab0i

My Ride: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
wow those audio technica ones are cheap. i might look into those. currently rocking bose qc15 they're nice but a little heavy due to noise canceling. i would go with the ae2 for a lighter, no airplane option.
although just had a botched ear surgery so idk what i'll do. can't hear too much out of my left ear.
They just released Bose QC25's. They don't require batteries to use anymore. If you don't have batteries, it just prevents noise cancelling from working, but you can still use headphones.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #15
SLVR JDM

My Ride: 4Runner
Purchased this year for my home theater setup:

Audio
Rec: Denon X3000
Front Channels: Aperion Audo Intimus 6LCR-IW
Rear Channels: Aperion Audio Intimus L6-IW
Sub: Hsu Research VTF-3 MK4

Visual
Projector: BenQ W1080ST
Screen: Seymour Center Stage XD (Jamestown Home Theater) Acoustically transparent screen (110")
Old 10-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #16
i0kr1sol

My Ride: 330ci
was about to pull the trigger on the Shure SE215 until i found out that it goes over the ear and no mic / buttons.

any suggestions on IEM in the same price range $100 - $150 with mic / buttons that doesnt go over the ear ?

thanks !!!
i0kr1sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #17
Bimmer4Lyfe

My Ride: 02 325i
Old 10-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #18
AmmitOsiris

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
Well this is my first car with premium sound.. My jeep has 2 speakers and a crapppy sub and amp someone was throwing away... Literally...
And that got me through highschool,

Now I have a bmw and the h/k system sounds amazing to me, but I do want to upgrade the speakers with higher quality speakers... and put a sub or two in it..

An as for the beats, they are my moms i stole them from her, I need ear buds though as I work inside the hub at ups(brown Santa)
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #19
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
Well this is my first car with premium sound.. My jeep has 2 speakers and a crapppy sub and amp someone was throwing away... Literally...
And that got me through highschool,

Now I have a bmw and the h/k system sounds amazing to me, but I do want to upgrade the speakers with higher quality speakers... and put a sub or two in it..

An as for the beats, they are my moms i stole them from her, I need ear buds though as I work inside the hub at ups(brown Santa)
IMO the harman/kardon system sounds pretty nice. it's not the best no. but compared to 90% of cars actually on the road it's very nice.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #20
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: fast
i want to strangle people who wear headphones all the time with their headphones.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote