E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Missouri 18 yr old teen killed by police; vigil/protests turns violent

Discuss:

Quote:
Ferguson, Missouri (CNN) -- The morning after a peaceful candlelit vigil for a teenager fatally shot by police disintegrated into violence and looting, the mayor of Ferguson, Missouri, called for calm.

"Obviously, the events of last night are not indicative of who we are," James Knowles said, adding that the chaos that erupted Sunday night in the St. Louis suburb was "not constructive" and was only "bringing down the community."

The evening began with people who wanted to honor and remember 18-year-old Michael Brown. Witnesses say that he was unarmed and his hands were in the air when a Ferguson police officer shot and killed him Saturday.

Authorities told a different story. The police officer tried to get out of his vehicle just before the shooting, but Brown pushed him back into the car, said St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar.

Brown "physically assaulted" the officer, Belmar said, and the teen tried to get the officer's weapon. Brown was shot about 35 feet from the vehicle, the chief said, declining to provide more details.

"The genesis of this was a physical confrontation," he said, adding that his department has been called in to conduct an independent investigation.

Ferguson Police said its cars are not equipped with dashboard cameras.

Shell casings collected at the scene were from the officer's weapon, Belmar said.

Anger over the shooting gripped many in Ferguson. Some shouted at police who were at the vigil.

Stoic police in riot gear watched as young men knelt before them, hands up to symbolize surrender

But one officer can be heard on video yelling back, calling protesters "animals."

"We will stay out here as long as you are!" protesters screamed at police.

Demonstrators held their hands in the air and chanted, "We are Michael Brown." Others held signs that said, "No justice, no peace." Another sign read, "Police stops should not = dead kids."

The gathering became more intense as some people broke windows at a store and began taking things from it. They threw rocks and bottles. Gunshots rang out.

Antonio French, an alderman in St. Louis, said a QuikTrip gas station was looted and an ATM dragged out.

"This QuikTrip is where things started (Saturday) with this case, based on various accounts," French said.

The slain teenager and a friend were "accused of stealing gum from the store or some sort of cigarettes," the alderman said.

Lost control

"Last night, everything lost control," Knowles said Monday on CNN's "New Day."

He was asked about the officer who called protesters "animals."

"The officers did their best. They're only human," Knowles responded, adding that not every police officer present was from the Ferguson department.

A rally is scheduled for 10 a.m. Monday in front of the Ferguson Police Department.

Knowles said he wants to let the independent investigation into Brown's death take its course. He plans to meet with Brown's parents soon and will meet this evening with clergy in Ferguson and African-American leadership in the town.

Whatever the investigation's findings, "we will deal with that," he said.

Multiple gunshots

A medical examiner will issue a ruling on how many times Brown was shot.

"It was more than just a couple," Belmar said.

Witnesses said Brown did nothing to instigate the shooting and appeared to be surrendering when he was killed. Brown was spending the summer in the neighborhood with his grandmother Desuirea Harris, she told KMOV.

"My son just turned 18 and graduated high school and he didn't bother nobody," his mother, Lesley McSpadden, told CNN affiliate KSDK.

Brown was supposed to start classes at Vatterott College on Monday, she said.

"People have a lot of anger and are frustrated," French said. "They don't have recourse in the system, and it happens often in this country, and it has boiled over. I think people are angry and looking for a reason to let it out tonight."

Family retains Trayvon Martin lawyer

"We don't know what happened, and there are lots of conflicting stories," Knowles said. "Unfortunately, there will have to be some time taken to understand what happened. Hopefully, we will get to an understanding, and justice will be served."

The officer who shot Brown is on paid administrative leave during the investigation and will be available to talk to county homicide detectives.

He has been with the force for six years and will be required to undergo two psychological evaluations before returning to duty, Belmar said.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder has instructed the Justice Department's civil rights division to monitor the developments in the case.

The FBI said it is assisting police in its investigation and will review the findings.

Benjamin Crump, the lawyer who handled Trayvon Martin's case, will represent the family. Martin, 17, was killed in 2012 by a Florida neighborhood watch organizer, who was acquitted of murder charges.

Ferguson, which has a population of about 21,000 people, is 67% African-American.

Opinion: How many unarmed people have to die?

Last edited by MDydinanM; 08-11-2014 at 09:59 AM.
MDydinanM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
DNTHATE
E46Fanatic

Welp they got the same lawyer that defended tray on Martin, because he did so damn good. My guess is the race card.

Looting, why am I not surprised.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
DNTHATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTHATE View Post

Nothing better says you're supporting a cause and protesting against injustice than looting.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 08-11-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTHATE View Post
Welp they got the same lawyer that defended tray on Martin, because he did so damn good. My guess is the race card.

The cop is black.

Woo, free stuff!!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Opportunistic thieves taking advantage of a racially charged situation. It is unfortunate, to say the least.

I was born in that area (just down the road), moved to a different part of the suburbs when I started school. Ferguson and neighboring cities have had a lot of issues over the years and most recently a couple of the neighboring school districts have become unaccredited and taken over by the state.

Sadly, it is one of those areas where you are not surprised to see this sort of thing going on.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
I was waiting for this thread to appear, lol.

This is about 10 miles north of where I live. I'm glad justice has been served by way of burning down the QuikTrip convenience store. It's a shame when C-stores lash out and shoot innocent people.

Edit: The professional race baiters, Sharpton & Jackson, are en route to the area as well. I'm sure they'll calm the situation....oh, wait, no they won't.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 08-11-2014 at 10:13 AM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
RossGuy
E46Fanatic

My Ride: FBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
Nothing better says you're supporting a cause and protesting against injustice than looting.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1407769994162.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	568789  
RossGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Why do people automatically assume that the police are in the wrong? Who's to say that the kid didn't try to grab the officer's weapon? If that is, in fact, what happened then I place complete blame on the kid. If I was a cop my #1 priority at work is to make sure I come home after not to make sure some idiot 18 year dbag gets my gun and shoots me with it.

cliffs: don't want to get shot? don't be an idiot. it's really that simple.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Why do people automatically assume that the police are in the wrong? Who's to say that the kid didn't try to grab the officer's weapon? If that is, in fact, what happened then I place complete blame on the kid. If I was a cop my #1 priority at work is to make sure I come home after not to make sure some idiot 18 year dbag gets my gun and shoots me with it.

I think that's what the police dept is saying, that there was a scuffle in the police vehicle and the teen tried to grab the cop's gun.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
DNTHATE
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
The cop is black.

Woo, free stuff!!

I didn't see the mention of the cops race in the article, but man was I hoping he was black.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post

The details are still fuzzy, but the LEO's are saying that the 18 year old grabbed for the cops gun, a shot went off inside of the squad car, and as the person was running away he grabbed into his pocket at which point the officer shot him.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #12
DNTHATE
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
The details are still fuzzy, but the LEO's are saying that the 18 year old grabbed for the cops gun, a shot went off inside of the squad car, and as the person was running away he grabbed into his pocket at which point the officer shot him.

But but but the eyewitness said he put his hands up.
Can't wait until Sharpton come on today.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #13
choxor

Ah lawdy, the Reverend is on the case. Praise!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #14
RossGuy
E46Fanatic

I love how they always interview the family and they're like "oh, Tyrone was da bestist and neva hurt nobodyz". Then they find a picture of him in a suit on the way to court and act like he's an angel. Anybody whos ever been to jail, bd schools, etc know "they" have more of a tendency to act like animals.

If the cop being black is true then this is great.

Now lets keep the stereotypes going by looting, rioting, and getting Martin's lawyer.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #15
RossGuy
E46Fanatic

Also can't wait for Al Sharpton to say this is a tragedy and that all races should be equal. Then not say sh1t when it's a black on white crime. Race card much?

Old 08-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #16
MDydinanM

can't wait for JJ to weigh in

Last edited by MDydinanM; 08-11-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #17
choxor

Cop being black is hearsay at this point. I read it in the comments on CNN from a local. Can't find confirmation, though.

Lawd baby Jesus let the cop be black though. See how quickly the Saintly Reverend Sharpton leaves.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #18
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Cop being black is hearsay at this point. I read it in the comments on CNN from a local. Can't find confirmation, though.

Lawd baby Jesus let the cop be black though. See how quickly the Saintly Reverend Sharpton leaves.
They haven't released the identify of the officer as of yet, so we do not know the race.

Another note, I don't believe Ferguson LEO's have dash cams in their cruisers. So, that option is out.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig
Old 08-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #19
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
We really need to stop this black on black violence.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #20
RossGuy
E46Fanatic

Al Sharpton Defends Racist Rants: 'It Was Only Onů:

Last edited by RossGuy; 08-11-2014 at 10:46 AM.