E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 4.90 average.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #1001
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
ignorance is bliss

You don't have to be a watch enthusiast to recognize a Rolex. How can none enthusiasts recognize specific design cues such as a cyclopes and not a more notable oyster bracelet, not to mention a milgauss has more attention grabbing polished centers. I bought a Rolex because of its quality, design AND paid a good amount of money so that everyone would know that it's a Rolex! I'm sure 99% of the population of Rolex customers bought them for the same reasons. Your milgauss is no different from a submariner or any other Rolex. Rolex and Porsche have kept the same design philosophy throughout the years. If you want to be understated then wear an Omega. Don't come on here telling us any different - new money

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillanovaGrad View Post
how many people walking around the street are considered watch enthusiasts?

thats like saying everyone who knows cars knows an RS4 is a f*cking beast.
yeah but 99.99% of the people dont know cars? they think its just a weird looking audi a4
how many people you ask on the street knows about the rolex oyster and the oyster band?
but if you show them a submariner with a cyclops date then they'll be like YEAHHHH ROLLIE!
if you only cater yourself to a tiny % of the population then you fail.

a submariner cannot be the most understated because its the most recognized. everyone on the street and their mother knows the submariner.
when i saw some dude wearing a milgauss at a bar i was like thats a sick watch then he was really surprised that i caught it. because it doesnt look have any rolex features.

Last edited by BruceWonder; 01-31-2011 at 12:55 PM.
BruceWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #1002
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Rolex Cellini is the most understated Rolex IMO.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #1003
VillanovaGrad

My Ride: M3 M5 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
Didn't read. Either way we all know you bought that Rolex to show off how much money your mommy has and that you probably constantly brag about it to anyone you can corner for more than 10 seconds.
im sorry but you can either look at something or someone in a positive light aka glass half full or look at something or someone in a negative light aka glass half empty. you choose to look at everything negatively so thats your choice.

my motto in life has always been its nice to be important but its important to be nice. but you all obviously think differently
Old 01-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #1004
VillanovaGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Wonder View Post
ignorance is bliss

You don't have to be a watch enthusiast to recognize a Rolex. How can none enthusiasts recognize specific design cues such as a cyclopes and not a more notable oyster bracelet, not to mention a milgauss has more attention grabbing polished centers. I bought a Rolex because of its quality, design AND paid a good amount of money so that everyone would know that it's a Rolex! I'm sure 99% of the population of Rolex customers bought them for the same reasons. Your milgauss is no different from a submariner or any other Rolex. Rolex and Porsche have kept the same design philosophy throughout the years. If you want to be understated then wear an Omega. Don't come on here telling us any different - new money
to your dismay i left my milgauss at home today and am wearing my planet ocean. to be honest, it looks more expensive than the milgauss... because when i go to jewelry stores, the sales reps always go oh my god its the planet ocean, cool watch man! because the design is iconic. but when i wear the milgauss, people always ask what it is

and how the hell can you tell me that normal average joes would concentrate on the oyster bracelet rather than design cues on the watch face such as the classic rolex cyclops? when people look at watches, they look at the face. not the bracelet. its like when a girl shows off her engagement ring, her buddies dont say "oh is the ring white gold or is it platinum" ... they immediately are fixated on the rock aka the center piece of the jewelry. and the same idea applies when people look at watches.

Last edited by VillanovaGrad; 01-31-2011 at 01:49 PM.
VillanovaGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #1005
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
to your dismay i left my milgauss at home today and am wearing my planet ocean. to be honest, it looks more expensive than the milgauss... because when i go to jewelry stores, the sales reps always go oh my god its the planet ocean, cool watch man! because the design is iconic. but when i wear the milgauss, people always ask what it is

and how the hell can you tell me that normal average joes would concentrate on the oyster bracelet rather than design cues on the watch face such as the classic rolex cyclops? when people look at watches, they look at the face. not the bracelet. its like when a girl shows off her engagement ring, her buddies dont say "oh is the ring white gold or is it platinum" ... they immediately are fixated on the rock aka the center piece of the jewelry. and the same idea applies when people look at watches.
You just don't get it. Its not that you're sitting here discussing how people interpret your multiple $3K+ watches. Its the fact that your mom bought them for you that makes you look like a tw@t. A little humilty goes a long way. You make it sound like you deserve all these nice things when in reality you've done nothing to deserve them beside pop out of the right hole.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #1006
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
ive NEVER experienced this or seen it happen at the omega boutique/tourneau. i can see that if someone walked in wearing a grand complication, but a planet ocean....seriously?

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #1007
VillanovaGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
You just don't get it. Its not that you're sitting here discussing how people interpret your multiple $3K+ watches. Its the fact that your mom bought them for you that makes you look like a tw@t. A little humilty goes a long way. You make it sound like you deserve all these nice things when in reality you've done nothing to deserve them beside pop out of the right hole.
my mom didnt pay for my omega, nor my cartier, nor my rolex....
idk where that rumor/gossip came from that my mom dropped $15gs for me in watches last year.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #1008
VillanovaGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
ive NEVER experienced this or seen it happen at the omega boutique/tourneau. i can see that if someone walked in wearing a grand complication, but a planet ocean....seriously?
i didnt know it takes a grand complication to impress someone at a jewelry store.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #1009
PsychoCemia

My Ride: '05 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
Agreed. The kid's full of it.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #1010
Hukerfaker

My Ride: My wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyamen View Post
not that anyone here actually cares about my fossil watch lmao but here is a shot i took tonight of it with my 7d. I have a photo a day project I am doing and this was my picture for today.

I do Great looking watch. I usually prefer bigger chrono dials, but small ones are probably exactly the reason this one looks so good.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #1011
VillanovaGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoCemia View Post
Agreed. The kid's full of it.
class of 2010 who knows 0 history about me and probably 'rocks a fossil'
Old 01-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #1012
Hukerfaker

My Ride: My wife.
Oh yes, and if you really fall in love with this one and intend to wear it for any length of time (say more than 5 years) and wanna keep it water proof (I guess it is) make sure you buy extra water proof gaskets and crowns now for this model so you have them for the years to come. Fossil is simple good looking fashion watch and it seems manufacturer gives up on support after a while for older models. Happened to me.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:41 PM   #1013
Skazzy

My Ride: X Wing
nice fossil
Old 01-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #1014
Glight

Quote:
my mom didnt pay for my omega, nor my cartier, nor my rolex....
idk where that rumor/gossip came from that my mom dropped $15gs for me in watches last year.
Well seeing as you just graduated from college, you're either:

A) Lying and mommy really did buy it for you: or
B) An idiot for spending 15k on watches on a first year salary.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #1015
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Well seeing as you just graduated from college, you're either:

A) Lying and mommy really did buy it for you: or
B) An idiot for spending 15k on watches on a first year salary.
Maybe he's in i-banking on Wall St. with no student loans and a roommate. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:28 PM   #1016
FadeToblack

My Ride: 2003 accord coupe
Send a message via Yahoo to FadeToblack
anyone can go and get a few credit cards and buy watches
Old 01-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #1017
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
Maybe he's in i-banking on Wall St. with no student loans and a roommate. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt!
Even so, that only takes option "A" out of the equation. "B" would still apply. That would just be IMO though. People can do whatever they want with their money.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #1018
FadeToblack

My Ride: 2003 accord coupe
Send a message via Yahoo to FadeToblack
There are far worse things you can spend your money on then expensive watches. At least in a bind he could sell them and recover some of his money. Its not like he is dropping 15k at the craps table or something...
Old 01-31-2011, 04:39 PM   #1019
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
Quote:

Any literate person can tell what brand a watch is up close, wheres the challenge? Normal Joes that Ive run across, especially here in socal can spot a Rolex across the room by just simply recognizing the bracelet. Can you tell the difference from a GMT II, submariner, or deep-sea by the watch face (cyclops) from "afar" without staring at the other persons wrist like a weirdo? My point is that you can identify "a Rolex" better by knowing your bracelets in any given situation/environment. All Rolex bracelets are well known. Just like Cartier Santos and Tank models.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #1020
DADON4SHO

My Ride: SLOW E46
g0d damn can some one please ban these two fuks!