E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
blarf

My Ride: '00 323i
At least it's not trial by fire...

Got started on the whole cooling system refurb process. Tightened the expansion tank plug barely finger tight and the head snapped off. Sigh. Got the block drain out (but not in time to get the hose and funnel up there. Sigh. Got the expansion tank... not out.

Despite banging on the tank with a hammer and extension, it's still there (and not cracked... and the orignal June 2000 production sticker is still on it ).

BMWSF doesn't have the plug in stock and the tank is still firmly attached. So the car gets to sit on jackstands, on the street for a few days. FML.

Last edited by blarf; 06-09-2010 at 09:48 PM.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
k.
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
blarf

What? You've never set anything on fire before?
Old 06-10-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
You replacing the ET? Sounds like a mini-refurbishment...

Usually ET goes...and prolly should...and it comes with the plug, just not the cap.

I wedged a large screwdriver between ET and bracket beneath (holding screwdriver parallel to ground and turning it slowly but strongly...a little on both sides...as in from pass side and driver side--there's just a little flange on bracket that I used as a lever. Full disclosure...when I did this on my ET that went from '01 to '10 (I'm not original owner), I did crack the back of the bracket, but it still went back in...ended up replacing it when I replaced the radiator that was leaking but which I ignored then...replaced rad a month later).

Anyway...if you're refurbing without ET, I hope the ET is newish. Also, depending on mileage, your money, and your orientation to keeping your car, might be worth it to also do radiator (I know working on street isn't ideal!).

For me, ET loosened very slowly and almost imperceptibly...and finally came loose just about 2 mins. after I had virtually given up from frustration.

Instead of igniting my car, I just decided to ignite myself a month later for fun!

Not sure where you're at, OP...good luck...I'm sure your life will be un-fd soon!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
blarf

All the cooling system stuff is original, so.. yup ten years old. Give or take a few months (the ET has stickers saying June and March of 2000 on it so). 123,000 miles give or take. The whole Tischer kit is going in. Thankfully I found a dealer that has the plugs in stock, so I'm gonna go pick up a Zipcar and the parts. The ET actually came out a few minutes after the post, but that took roughly an hour of pounding on that **** with a hammer and extension (the tank is still uncracked as far as I can see).

Thankfully there's no street cleaning for a few weeks, and it's a bit difficult to tow a car on jack stands.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
rowdy lee

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Wait!

Your car is in the street and up on jackstands for a couple days???

What kinda wheels you got, bro?
Old 06-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
blarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy lee View Post
Your car is in the street and up on jackstands for a couple days???

What kinda wheels you got, bro?
The cheapest 15" alloys BMW offered in 2000. You want them?

Unrelated: The new Honda Insight is possibly the worst car I've ever driven.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
blarf

Well **** me sideways, I just pulled the water pump... and it had a shiny metal impeller. The thermostat had been replaced too, and sealed up with a bunch of silicone. Grr.