E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 4.68 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #21
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
What is SES, yes and yes. It can clear any code.
SES = Service Engine Soon

aka

CEL = Check Engine Light
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #22
El Polo

My Ride: 99 black 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
That would be NCS Expert. Whilst I have used it, I don't have a guide for you.
What is SES, yes and yes. It can clear any code.
SES=Service engine soon <=> CEL=Check engine light

Thanks a lot for this thread. I'm really looking forward to go see what is hidden in there.
El Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #23
El Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post

aka

CEL = Check Engine Light
you beat me to it you soab!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #24
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
You can set the next service interval, and all the factrs of the ways it is calculated. It's actually a little too powerful as you may set the wrong parameter.

I thought you just needed to ground one pin on the round port for a 2-5 second period (ignition on) then cycle the keys, or you can do it through the service menu on the instrument cluster test harness. I just get the garage to do it.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #25
Freedman

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Arty, hope you can help with a few issues I'm having. I can't get any live engine data. I can talk to the car and scan for faults and clear codes, but nothing on the live performance data. I'm hooked up to a '04 E46 and just can't seen to find a solution. Thanks for pioneering ediabas/inpa on this forum and hanging around to answer questions and provide support.

Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #26
Arty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedman View Post
Arty, hope you can help with a few issues I'm having. I can't get any live engine data. I can talk to the car and scan for faults and clear codes, but nothing on the live performance data. I'm hooked up to a '04 E46 and just can't seen to find a solution. Thanks for pioneering ediabas/inpa on this forum and hanging around to answer questions and provide support.
If you can connect without errors and read the fault codes of the DME module, there should be no reason you cannot see the live data for it.

Hence it is possible you are not connected to the DME and EGS modules due to the fact those two are on a seperate pin (need to wire across the pins on your adaptor as shown in the pics or pins 7&8 for 16 pin users), or you are getting a warning that the module does not match the one you selected and you are ignoring it.

Can you get live data from your PDC, MFL or GM5?
Old 02-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #27
Freedman

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I get an error frequently that says can't connect to control unit or maybe control unit not found. They are api errors mostly with some initialization errors thrown in. Sorry don't know PDC, MFL or GMS? What are they referring to?

Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #28
Arty

PDC - Park distance control
MFL - multifunction steering wheel
GM5 - body control module. Can tell you if the doors or windows are open

If you have errors I'd try and fix them before continuing. I get no errors. Only operate in read only, do not write. You don't want to brick an ECU and find out your car won't start.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #29
woh

My Ride: BMW 318ti
I'm planning on using a RS232 cable (not USB) for the INPA with win 2000 or Win XP. Have not decided which older PC to use. A couple of questions.

Quote:
7) Open the file OBD.ini from C:\EDIABAS\BIN add in the UBAT item manually. Check the Hardware=USB
Code:
[OBD]
Port=Com1
Hardware=USB
RETRY=ON
UBAT=OFF
1. What does the UBAT entry do? or not do?

Quote:
6) Add the Environment variable C:\EDIABAS\BIN to your system.
Copy the file OBD.ini from C:\EDIABAS\BIN to C:\Windows
2. Is it necessary to Add the Environment variable and Copy the file ODB.ini into the win directory? It seems redundant.
woh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #30
Arty

Quote:
Originally Posted by woh View Post
1. What does the UBAT entry do? or not do?
On the genuine BMW interface () ignition sensing is supported and INPA won't run until it sees the +12V IGN on.

Adding the UBAT entry spoofs that feature for USB adaptors. It serves no other function other than to suppress the error and get the program going.

Quote:
2. Is it necessary to Add the Environment variable and Copy the file ODB.ini into the win directory? It seems redundant.
Agreed that it is redundant. I had to copy it into two or three places to make EDIABAS work (I followed half a dozen half baked guides to make mine that worked, and they gave differing opinions of what to do with OBD.ini) so it's in the instructions.

You do need the environment variable of course for all other parts of the program.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #31
woh

I'm thinking that since I plan to use a RS232 cable with the ignition (BMW pin 16) connected to RS232 DSR that the 'UBAT=OFF' will not be needed.
So do I just leave that line out?

I'll be ready once I get the cable kit in the mail and built it.
This is the generic cable. But ignition/DSR line has to be modified for BMW. See on the bottom.
http://66.163.168.225/babelfish/tran...-interf-b.html
Old 03-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #32
woh

Attached is the schematic for interface for BMW OBD. This is a modified version of link in previous post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW KL Mod interface.jpg
Views:	963
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	395832  
Old 03-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #33
Arty

You can leave or comment out the UBAT line if you think you don't need it because you are using DSR and you think EDIABAS uses DSR to determine the battery status over full RS232. It plays a non-existent role after the program has loaded, the battery voltage is not monitored with that line.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #34
woh

Ok, got it working with only the Rx, Tx and ground connections using the RS232 output on the PC with the cable listed above. My car is a 318ti

Thanks Arty

I did not use the ignition and L line because my OBD to BMW cable only had 4 wires. I needed 5.

It shows the correct VIN # etc. The one thing surprising and puzzling is the date of manufacture of the engine is 15.04.99. The car is a '96. Not sure what to make of that??? Even if the engine was changed the ECU would not have a change in date and have the correct VIN # or would it?
Old 03-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #35
bignickmetro

My Ride: 2002 330ci TiAg
heres is my post on bf.c regarding my experience with INPA and DIS. Was able to turn off my DRLs, and reset all my adaptation values and clear my stored error codes. Good prep for my header install, I know I will have to troubleshoot the O2 sims. DIS w/ $75 interface

Looks like you could do this for about $29 if you got their other cable.
bignickmetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:43 AM   #36
Mikola200

My Ride: E46 323i 5spd blk
Arty, Thank you very much for the detailed info, will be trying this myself,

Could you please tell me if my ELM 3.27 will work as the USB-to-OBDII adapter?

Nick.
Mikola200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #37
Arty

Quote:
It shows the correct VIN # etc. The one thing surprising and puzzling is the date of manufacture of the engine is 15.04.99. The car is a '96. Not sure what to make of that???
Me either. A 1996 would be an E36, and OBD1 except for the DME and EGS for US markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikola200 View Post
Arty, Thank you very much for the detailed info, will be trying this myself,

Could you please tell me if my ELM 3.27 will work as the USB-to-OBDII adapter?

Nick.
Probably. I can't see what is inside but you could just try it. It supports all OBD2 protocols, so you may need to configure it to ISO9141 K line mode.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #38
wildcat293

My Ride: 325xi
While it may be possible for the ELM to read them, none of the software we are talking about was written to support it so it won't work.

I also have the elm and was a bit disappointed to find this out until I saw the vag-com cable was only $30

I have INPA working so far, trying to get SSS going now.

Last edited by wildcat293; 04-03-2011 at 03:39 PM.
wildcat293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #39
El Polo

Finally got my BMW scanner 1.40

Hello!

It has been a while I haven't come to E46F. Life gets busy at times.
Anyways, I got my PASoft BMW scanner 1.40 and OBD2****20-pin converter.
My goal was to be able to do everything, read and write any module.
I am half way there...

Car: 1999 328i, built date 07/1998. Has the 16-pin OBD2 connector under the dash and the 20-pin round plug under the hood.
Software: So far I only used the PASoft BMWScan program. I may try to use other programs like NCSexpert, INPA and what not.

What I have been able to do:
  • with the 16-pin connector
    • Connect to the DME, read and reset errors
    • No connection to any other module
  • with the 20-pin adapter
    • Connect to the DME, read and reset errors
    • Connect to lights, brakes, dashboard electronics, radio, seats, anti-theft... and read and clear errors and recode options (including DRL parameters)

What I still can't figure out:
  • I cannot communicate with the SRS module (which is one of my main goals, reset my airbag light).
  • Convenience opening. Was already activated apparently, but doesn't work. Closing works tho, but the behavior is different than what I expected. When locking using the remote, it closes all windows. I thought I would have to press twice, or depress for 2 seconds, but no it does it when locking, period.
  • My car has a small red LED that flashes when the key is removed. I don't know if it is a genuine BMW thing or not. I wanted the lights or the "clown nose" to flash when locking, couldn't find the option. My car does not have the alarm system.

Do you guys have any idea how to do that?
Could I use other programs with the same adapter?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #40
Arty

If you can talk to all the modules you say, like KOMBI, seats, ZKE etc, there should be no reason why SRS is not available. Have you tried a few of the different options fo r modules? You may find it has an older module than you expect. What error messages do you find?

For the CKM and comfort stuff, I think you have an aftermarket alarm or comfort clusure module of some sort. The behaviour you describe is not something an E46 can do on it's own. Please confirm you have an E46.