E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
E46Cruisin

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325xi
Oil is leaking like my patience is running thin. Help!

Hey guys,

Since I got my bimmer about three years or so ago, there's been a multitude of problems, many of which have been sorted out and forgiven. It still has some, but the most annoying of which is this oil leak. It shows all the symptoms of a VCG, but I've replaced that and I'm still having the same symptoms. I recently removed the VCG to have another look, and everything looks to be in good condition, but there are still signs of a leak coming from the same area under the VCG. I suspect a bad CCV, but I have a few questions.

I'm not seeing any of the signs of oil consumption that I see people reporting on these forums as a symptom of a bad CCV, but the only thing I can think to be causing the persistent leak from under the VCG would be increased pressure under the valve cover from a bad CCV.

Another concern of mine is that after doing a wipe down underneath the car to try to see which side of the engine the leak is coming from, it looks like there's oil dripping from the VCG-side leak, and from the other side. Would a bad CCV be leaking oil at all on that side of the block?

Thanks guys and gals
E46Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
Couple of questions ... did you use RTV on the head when you installed the new VCG? It would look like this on the front, and the same on the back:

When you've had the valve cover off, have you checked it for any warpage?

What brand VCG did you install?
Old 05-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
E46Cruisin

Used OEM VCG, and yeah I used RTV on those locations. Problem location is back left of the valve cover, on the side, no leaks to be seen from the areas shown in your picture.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Inspect the valve cover to see if there's a hairline crack. Also, did you install new rubber "disks" - one for each bolt holding the VC on? Could be a warped VC. Next time it's off see if the VC check the VC for an uneven mating surface.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
E46Cruisin

markus, yes the VCG I bought came with new grommets for every bolt holding the VC on. How would I go about checking for a warped VC or uneven mating surface?
Old 05-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
samuelan

My Ride: BMW E46 330Ci Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Inspect the valve cover to see if there's a hairline crack. Also, did you install new rubber "disks" - one for each bolt holding the VC on? Could be a warped VC. Next time it's off see if the VC check the VC for an uneven mating surface.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Sorry to jump in on this thread but am having the same issue as yours OP. Replaced my VCG a week ago and oil is leaking from the back left portion, causing it to smoke on the exhaust manifold.

While replacing the VCG I noticed that the cover was cracked at the top left bolt point. However, I used RTV sealant and hope that did the deed.

What are your guys thoughts on this? Could I use JB Weld and call it a day? Or would I need to replace the cover?
samuelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
Someone else here recently tried JB Weld on the valve cover, and it didn't work. Replace the cover.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #8
E46Cruisin

Okay so check the VC for cracks and warping, what else? Any thoughts on the CCV? Could that be causing a visible oil leak on the CCV side of the block?
Old 06-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
marvinstockman

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325it
First, BMW's engine's leak, Mercedes' engines leak, and being 67, I leak

Second, how much oil is getting to the ground?

Third, no third for now.
marvinstockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinstockman View Post
First, BMW's engine's leak, Mercedes' engines leak, and being 67, I leak

Second, how much oil is getting to the ground?

Third, no third for now.
Can't speak to the Mercedes engines or you, but I can't agree on the blanket statement of BMW engines leaking... Mine has only leaked when the VCG needed to be replaced once, and once again when the oil pan gasket needed to be replaced. Otherwise the engine has always stayed externally clean and leaves no traces in any parking spots. This is over a 223,000 mile life so far...
Old 06-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #11
erickonphoenix

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
I've noticed if these cars are used daily they tend not to develop oil leaks.

BTW, if you habitually romp on it before the engine is up to temperature it seems to reduce the life of the CCV. ESPECIALLY in cold environments.
erickonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote