E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #21
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
I got my quaife conversion kit from http://www.birdsauto.com/ in the UK. Their site showed prices.

Pros:
zero-maintenance
lifetime warranty
silent operation
smooth operation - no jerky clutch engagement to create snap oversteer

Cons:
if one wheel is in the air (or on black ice) it acts just like an open diff - that one wheel will spin (this applies to any torque sensing diff - quaife, torsen, ATB - all the same thing)

Editorial:
Clutch type diffs can really lock the wheels even if one is in the air but the clutch plates can create a lot of heat and wear out every X miles. OS Giken's version uses lots of tiny clutch plates with the goal of making a very cool clutch type diff whose clutch plates last a long time. If I were competing on on a track I'd get the OS Giken but the Quaife rules the road.
Another Pro is that special diff fluid or additives are not needed. Another Con is that it doesn't have static lock; the wheels must be spinning to achieve lock.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #22
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
i love this thread, keep the knowledge coming guys, thanks.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #23
blablac

My Ride: 240sx
can you make a proper donut with the Quaife ?
Does it help in a snow condition where both wheels have very limited grip ?
blablac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #24
blablac

ANy one ever heard of these :
http://www.wavetrac.net/technical.htm
Old 06-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #25
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blablac View Post
that def helps, as it helps keep the car moving fwd. didnt even think if that.
as for the donuts, what are u trying to go drifting man? lol
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #26
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
Here's my suggestion:
1. Stick with a vendor that does a whole bunch of e46 LSD's (i.e. Performance gearing, diffs online). They can give you the best options for what you are looking for and have enough experience to make your diff last for a long time.
2. Stick with a traditional plate style diff.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #27
blablac

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
that def helps, as it helps keep the car moving fwd. didnt even think if that.
as for the donuts, what are u trying to go drifting man? lol
I would not mind attending an event or two but with the open diff it would not be the greatest thing...
Old 06-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #28
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
You can do this, anyway:
(that guy has a Quaife^)

Yes my Quaife definitely worked well in the snow. It effectively becomes an open diff in situations where there's ~0 resistance to one wheel. If there's even a little resistance (snow) then it works. I'm guessing wet ice might approach 0, especially if you don't have winter tires - just a guess though.

Fun fact - you can use light braking to give a free spinning wheel some resistance (suggested by the Humvee operating manual as it uses Torsen diffs LOL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
Here's my suggestion:
1. Stick with a vendor that does a whole bunch of e46 LSD's (i.e. Performance gearing, diffs online). They can give you the best options for what you are looking for and have enough experience to make your diff last for a long time.
2. Stick with a traditional plate style diff.
Hi mrshelley - what's the downside of the Quaife on a track?

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 06-15-2010 at 09:37 PM.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #29
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
Hi mrshelley - what's the downside of the Quaife on a track?
I ran one back in 2004. For one, it produced a tremendous amount of heat over a 3 hour race at Daytona (Daytona, Homestead Phoenix, Fontana and Trois Rivieres are hard on diffs). After that, the diff worked great (after a rebuild) and then it started to change it's characteristics which led me to 6 months of scratching my head as to why the car was handling like garbage no matter what i did to it.

As for now, I like the plate type diff as I can change preload and ramp angles depending on the track. This gives me one more tool to adjust on. Plus I can easily check if there is a problem. With a Quaife, it's not that easy.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #30
McSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
I ran one back in 2004. For one, it produced a tremendous amount of heat over a 3 hour race at Daytona (Daytona, Homestead Phoenix, Fontana and Trois Rivieres are hard on diffs). After that, the diff worked great (after a rebuild) and then it started to change it's characteristics which led me to 6 months of scratching my head as to why the car was handling like garbage no matter what i did to it.

As for now, I like the plate type diff as I can change preload and ramp angles depending on the track. This gives me one more tool to adjust on. Plus I can easily check if there is a problem. With a Quaife, it's not that easy.
Great info as always - thanks!

Quote:
ANy one ever heard of these :
http://www.wavetrac.net/technical.htm
Sounds like Quaife II: The Grippening - complete with zero load fix - no release date for these cars as of yet. And it's even more complex than the Quaife.

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
Old 06-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #31
6appeal

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Wow. Awesome info on LSDs and E46s. I've come to the conclusion that this is not going to be cheap. Not that I was expecting it to be cheap, but I'm not prepared to spend more than ~$2000 on an LSD (parts, shipping and install). $1000 - $1,500 is something I can live with. This is one reason why I miss my E36; I could just swap in an M3 diff which at most runs $800 (3.38). Looks like Quaife is most popular. I'll probably opt for that when the time (and money) is right.

LF/WTB: M3 Strut Tower Bar, Z4 25mm Front Sway Bar, E46Xi/Cab 20mm Rear Sway Bar, 3000k CCFL Angel Eyes, M dead pedal
6appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #32
bigdog2003_99

My Ride: 2009 Audi B8
^ it is a great addition to a street car for a decent price, it works perfectly for me (100% street), if you cant afford a custom diff it is a very good alternative for half the price, the bad thing is there is no specs on preload or backlash on the net if you diy-(my shop started the install, and left me with the finishing of the job/install )

btw +1 to McSpeed--my zhp would do donuts perfectly fine with dsc completely off and open diff

R.I.P. John Bryan
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/J...yan_186423.htm
bigdog2003_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:13 AM   #33
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
I run the Kaaz LSD, i'm on 3.38 gearing, I know other have successfully installed it on 2.93s and 3.46s. The 2.93s dont seem to be holding up though.

My kaaz has taken a beating and not skipped a beat. By beating, I mean: I destroyed both half shafts and the driver's side output flange in the past 6 months. And my car hasn't run in 2, since the latest breakage. However, my diff has survived. Regarding lockup, chatter and streetability, this diff might as well be welded. It engages anytime it's not being pushed hard and holding any angle with the steering wheel.
I've heard that the OS Giken is quieter. I've experienced the M3 version, and that is indeed true. I have not seen the nonM version. I know OS Giken takes the same approach to LSD as Kaaz, and Kaaz now offers their new SuperQ "quiet" diff. I hope its more quiet than my diff. So I think my diff isn't a good option. They're adjustable, and that's something I havent toyed with yet, but I certainly will to try and get this thing to chill out a bit. I'll share more when I learn more about it.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #34
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire View Post
I run the Kaaz LSD, i'm on 3.38 gearing, I know other have successfully installed it on 2.93s and 3.46s. The 2.93s dont seem to be holding up though.

My kaaz has taken a beating and not skipped a beat. By beating, I mean: I destroyed both half shafts and the driver's side output flange in the past 6 months. And my car hasn't run in 2, since the latest breakage. However, my diff has survived. Regarding lockup, chatter and streetability, this diff might as well be welded. It engages anytime it's not being pushed hard and holding any angle with the steering wheel.
I've heard that the OS Giken is quieter. I've experienced the M3 version, and that is indeed true. I have not seen the nonM version. I know OS Giken takes the same approach to LSD as Kaaz, and Kaaz now offers their new SuperQ "quiet" diff. I hope its more quiet than my diff. So I think my diff isn't a good option. They're adjustable, and that's something I havent toyed with yet, but I certainly will to try and get this thing to chill out a bit. I'll share more when I learn more about it.
Performance Gearing told me that "The Kaaz units will always make noise by design, because both the discs and plates are made of steel alloy, with no coating on either, and (PG units) don't chatter because the discs are ceramic coated".
Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #35
McSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire View Post

Frustrating. I wonder if you'd be breaking halfshafts if there was a smoother diff dishing the power out*

*I'm not saying Quaife necessarily - but something less brutal than the Kaaz maybe

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 06-17-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #36
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I have to correct my earlier statement...its the Kaaz diffs some complained were noisy. Not the Quaifes.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #37
Patrik_S

My Ride: E46 325ti
Install the 188 housing in the E46 subframe like I did. Some pictures here:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...703086&page=10
Patrik_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #38
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
I LOVE my OS Giken and it applies power to both wheels all the time with no trouble whatsoever as I have stressed it running the ZHP on track at Road Atlanta. I will really need it now that I have just installed an AA/2 SC as I don't want any single tire smoking meltdown. The more HP you have the more you need a LSD.

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #39
blablac

I did a little reading on the WAVETRAC unit and a lot of 335i guys are running it and loving it.

I know it's not available for our cars but I thought it would be worth mentioning. I'm sending them an email to see if they have any interest making one.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #40
blablac

I would more than gladly have them use my car as a test bed, but I live in NOVA and their offices are located in CA. They will need an E46 or two as a test bed. Any one here in CA with a ZHP willing to swing by their office ?