E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2004, 07:59 PM   #1
Mr Hyde

My Ride: 2003 540i
SMG Retrofit

First things first. I am not responsible for any harm that you may inflict on either yourself or your car as a result of doing this modification. As with any modification of this nature, all risks are your own and any warranty concerns you may have are between you & your dealer.

To address the issue of the kit sold by Vincent Wong for $400. This modification was done using OEM parts, and OEM technology, so I am in no way stealing his or anyone elseís technology, etc. I am using parts from another BMW model, and using them in my own car. The only additional parts being some wire, wire taps, electrical tape, and a plug to make the wiring easier. Basically I tapped 2 wires; thatís it.
Anyone who has done even the most basic wiring can accomplish this task, and to the mods/admins, I am a fellow mod on a few forums. Please read the actual instructions to see what is involved in doing this install. In all my years (since 97), I have never heard of someone trying to charge for modifying OEM parts. This is the kind of thing is what all these internet boards were made for. If everyone charged instead of spreading info freely like is so routinely done, Id hate to know what these boards would be like. Especially in this case with a $325+ premium for tapping 2 wires. If the customer service and warranty (for what wire taps?) is worth it to you, by all means, buy his kit. It just wasnít for me.

This install was performed on a 2003 540i. The basics should be the same for other models, but I really wont be able to help if you have any specific questions about removing trim pieces, wire colors, etc. in another model, or year car. If you need help like that, maybe the retail paddle shift kit is something you should consider.

TOOLS & PARTS NEEDED

-Various Flathead & Phillips screwdrivers both large, small, long & stubby.
-Torx bits
-Ratchet Set
-2 pin female end plug. (This can be found at computer hardware stores, and is used for the LED lights that indicate/show your desktop is powered up/running.)
-24 gauge, or similar size wire
-circuit tester
-compatible wire taps
-electrical tape
-wire cutters
-pliers

-SMG steering wheel; Part # 32 34 2 282 222
-SMG steering column switch; Part #61 31 8 379 091
both purchased from Pacific for $562 plus shipping

The Basics

The SMG steering wheel has an extra 2 prong plug on it other wheels donít.

Old Wheel

SMG Wheel with extra two prong plug for the paddles

This plugs into the 2 prong jack on the front of the SMG steering wheel switch that is not present on other model cars.

Stock switch front

SMG switch front with additional 2 prong jack

The back of the switch also has another 2 prong jack on it that your old switch didnít.

Back stock switch

Back SMG switch

You need to run wires from there (using the 2 prong plug I mentioned above) to the shifter area where you will tap into the 2 wires that control the up/down shifts in tiptronic mode; Thatís it.

Two prong computer LED wire

OEM tiptronic wires/plug

Tapped

running wires

same

All Done!!

A step by step will be posted once i upload all the pics, but it is definitely going to take me a little bit to organize, and post up a complete how to including the pics; Good Luck
Mr Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:12 PM   #2
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: Vorsteiner 335i
Send a message via AIM to Jlevi SW
Kudos to you, sir

JL
Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:49 PM   #3
SaN NizZLe

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
SaN NizZLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 02:42 PM   #4
Wolfcastle

My Ride: compact import
Something's not right with this - why aren't you charging $400 for this information? This board has been conditioned to believe that a 99 cent wire connector is worth $400 because of "the innovative, often brilliant, unrelenting pursuit of humanity's essence in the tireless effort to enrich our unfulfilled automotive desires." Mr. Original Shifty Paddler and his minions will demand an apology from you. On the internet no less
Wolfcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:47 AM   #5
Aries932

My Ride: 2011 135i AW DCT
Send a message via AIM to Aries932
what were the color of the wires that you tapped into?

To Never Ending Fun.
Aries932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #6
dave12345

My Ride: 2003 ///M3 6MT
nice man, any idea on how to put just the paddles on the sport wheel, i figure the paddles cant be more than 100? .....and i plan to tap the RT and phone wires since i dont use either and cut them under the dash and rewire to shifter area
Old 04-06-2006, 08:41 PM   #7
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
i tapped into the blue & purple from memory.

have you guys noticed in D if you hit the paddles accidently that the trans wont go into sport mode for a while?
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:05 AM   #8
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave12345
nice man, any idea on how to put just the paddles on the sport wheel, i figure the paddles cant be more than 100? .....and i plan to tap the RT and phone wires since i dont use either and cut them under the dash and rewire to shifter area
FYI, the phone buttons are connected to the IBus system so they do not run on separate wires through the column.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
tharaka

My Ride: 330i sedan
SO this will allow me to use the SMG paddles to up/downshift an auto tranny???
tharaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:29 PM   #10
dave12345

My Ride: 2003 ///M3 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck328i
FYI, the phone buttons are connected to the IBus system so they do not run on separate wires through the column.

Mark
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh damittttttt
Old 09-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #11
Fabiomia

My Ride: 328I 99
Thank's Man!!!!!! I Used that to do on my 330i 2002 and it worked perfect!!!
Fabiomia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:34 AM   #12
02bimmer325i

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiomia View Post
Thank's Man!!!!!! I Used that to do on my 330i 2002 and it worked perfect!!!
I am going to attempt to do this. I am assuming you tapped into the two center wires that are purple and blue. I have a few questions.

- Which colored wire is for "-" and which wire for "+". When using the 2 pin plug from a computer store, what color (red and white) goes to the steptronic wires (purple and blue).

-Where did you purchase the smg wheel and steering column switch and how much?

-Any advice you could give me before I attemot this.

Thanks,

Mike

Centered Install - Pics & DIY: HERE
02bimmer325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:45 AM   #13
ryan325i

My Ride: is Gay
one word, wow!

MILANO MOTORING EURO-SPEC
ryan325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:28 PM   #14
ra330i

My Ride: bmw 330i
i did this about a year ago on my 330i. it's by far my favorite mod of all time with all of my cars that i've owned through the years. the only problem was the price i paid to get it done.

smg wheel = $1100
sport airbag = $750

i didn't have the sport wheel in my car so i had to suck it up and buy a new airbag. my install was identical to the one posted above. 1 year and running without a hitch!!!

oh yeah, my car is an automatic for those who care to know
ra330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:14 PM   #15
02bimmer325i

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra330i View Post
i did this about a year ago on my 330i. it's by far my favorite mod of all time with all of my cars that i've owned through the years. the only problem was the price i paid to get it done.

smg wheel = $1100
sport airbag = $750

i didn't have the sport wheel in my car so i had to suck it up and buy a new airbag. my install was identical to the one posted above. 1 year and running without a hitch!!!

What color wire was "+" and what color for "-"

Thanks.

Centered Install - Pics & DIY: HERE
02bimmer325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:51 AM   #16
ra330i

My Ride: bmw 330i
i believe that white was hot (+). to be honest with you i screwed it up the first time and found myself downshifting when i hit the + paddle. no biggie, just switched it and voila, no probs now. by the way, did anyone know that prior to 2002 sport shifters shifted up when pressed up on the stick instead of down... that's why i had the issue.
ra330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:11 AM   #17
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra330i View Post

smg wheel = $1100
sport airbag = $750

No offense, this looks like a sick mod for those with automatic transmissions, but an SMG M3 wheel should not cost more than $500 new. Someone took you to the bank.

Great mod tho
Old 10-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #18
haggisuk

My Ride: 2002 320ise
For anyone interested, I have posted a how too on this here.

http://www.bmw-sport.net/showthread.php?t=134

I stole a few of you pics Mr hyde because I forgot to take my own during the fitting.
haggisuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:28 AM   #19
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
I am attempting this on my 2001 330i but with using the M3 Sport Mode Button to get it to shift into SD mode from D mode when the button is pressed without having to physically shift the shifter to the left.

Here is my pre-DIY video:

Also Subzeroe46 accomplished this with the paddles taking the place of a Sport Mode button. Here is his DIY-results video:

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #20
richyboycaldo

My Ride: Mx5 300zx 240z 330c
Does any have this DIY but with pictures working?
richyboycaldo is offline   Reply With Quote