E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
coreyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20
My Ride: 330CI
E46 Trans output shaft seal - help needed

Hi all,

Trying to wrap up a clutch replacement on my 2002 330CI Manual transmission. Following the Bavauto videos for the most part.

Got the triangular collar off the trans output shaft, pulled the old seal, replaced with a new one using the 36MM socket for a drift - got overzealous and drove it too far in so it's slightly folded inward at it's back edge into the space where the collar should fit back into.

Going to pull that seal too and put another replacement in on the weekend.

A few questions I'm hoping someone with experience can help with?

1 - the output shaft collar seemed extremely difficult to get back into place - I used liquimoly on the splines on the shaft as well as the inner diameter of the splined collar (as per Bavauto) - I was using the socket as a drift and a dead blow hammer, and before the collar was back far enough to touch the seal, it was feeling bound up, like I'd need a sledge to get it completely seated - it was coming up short like maybe a full inch or more, and hadn't made contact with the seal yet. The threads on the shaft hadn't yet become visible on the outer side of the collar. Is there a better lube I should be using? Is it really just brute force? I pulled it two more times, lubed, tried again and had the same issue. I'll have to examine all of the splines and collar for burrs etc.

2 - when I have the new seal in place, I'm worried that the force needed to put the collar back in will maybe deform the new seal, or cause it to travel backwards too far, which will make it bottom out and foul the seating for the collar, and then cost me another seal. Should I mount the seal only to the minimum possible depth and assume it will travel back with the activity of driving in the collar?

The bavauto video kind of glosses over this section. Any help would be appreciated!
coreyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM   #2
coreyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20
My Ride: 330CI
Wanted to share my experiences on this in case it helps anyone. I bought a second seal, pulled the mangled first one. Drove the new one in past the outer lip but not all the way home like I did the first one. Hammered in the output flange, and with the friction of the flange against the seal, I ended up bottoming out the 2nd seal too (which I discovered after a lot of aggravation and finally pulling the collar again).

So wait for spring and try again. Here's what worked for me finally.

I pulled the second botched seal. After all of this activity I had scratched up the area so I used my dremel to gently smooth the burrs I created. Brake cleaner and a quick pause to dry, then toothbrush with liquimoly on the spkines, trans fluid for lube on the inner and outer edges of the seal, used the 36mm socket to tap the seal in only as far as being flush to the outer lip. Soaked the cleaned up flange in hot water during all of that, toothbrush/liquimoly the spkines and used a 4lb sledge to tap it home, took maybe 6 or so firm taps. Was able to seat everything fine. Used the impact wrench in lieu of the first torque sequence, backed off the nut and torqued it to spec.

Hopfefully someone learns from my mistake of driving the seal too deep and wasting cash and time.
coreyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use