E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: F
Diversity Policies Don’t Help Women or Minorities, and They Make White Men Feel...

badfast, you should share this article with your SVP wife.

For those that think the article is TL;DR, here are cliffs:

-Corporate diversity initiatives and programs don't seem to be working as intended
-Data suggests the opposite is occurring
-White men feel women and minorities are treated fairly while being treated unfairly themselves
-Minorities view companies that promote diversity as no different than companies that do not promote diversity
-When people feel threatened, they may resist the effort to make the workplace more inclusive and diverse
-Management teams need to be more careful in the crafting of their messages about promoting diversity and be mindful of the feelings/perceptions of all individuals within their organizations
-Being pro-diversity may be actually doing more harm than good as it can be summoned as a get out of jail free card in protecting organizations from litigation rather than promoting and protecting the interests of minorities

I've long been an advocate of organizational cultures that promote and encourage individuals that are innovative, creative, knowledgeable and have desirable character traits regardless of their race or gender. Essentially, an individual's merit and personality. It's been documented and confirmed through studies that true diversity can improve the culture and bottom line of organizations. In addition to the suggestions in the article and rather than try to forcefully cram diversity down everybody's throats, I think individuals should oppose discrimination and be more cognizant of individuals in organizations that are discriminatory and take necessary action up to and including litigation and legal proceedings if necessary to rid organizations of racist or sexist individuals. This has to happen outside of the workplace too. It needs to become ingrained in society and needs to be taught and disciplined in our schools, in our homes, by our fellow citizens, and by our political leaders. Discuss what else might be more effective.

Quote:
Diversity Policies Don’t Help Women or Minorities, and They Make White Men Feel Threatened

U.S. companies spend millions annually on diversity programs and policies. Mission statements and recruitment materials touting companies’ commitment to diversity are ubiquitous. And many managers are tasked with the complex goal of “managing diversity” – which can mean anything from ensuring equal employment opportunity compliance, to instituting cultural sensitivity training programs, to focusing on the recruitment and retention of minorities and women.

Are all of these efforts working? In terms of increasing demographic diversity, the answer appears to be not really. The most commonly used diversity programs do little to increase representation of minorities and women. A longitudinal study of over 700 U.S. companies found that implementing diversity training programs has little positive effect and may even decrease representation of black women.

Most people assume that diversity policies make companies fairer for women and minorities, though the data suggest otherwise. Even when there is clear evidence of discrimination at a company, the presence of a diversity policy leads people to discount claims of unfair treatment. In previous research, we’ve found that this is especially true for members of dominant groups and those who tend to believe that the system is generally fair.

All this has a real effect in court. In a 2011 Supreme Court class action case, Walmart successfully used the mere presence of its anti-discrimination policy to defend itself against allegations of gender discrimination. And Walmart isn’t alone: the “diversity defense” often succeeds, making organizations less accountable for discriminatory practices.

There’s another way the rhetoric of diversity can result in inaccurate and counterproductive beliefs. In a recent experiment, we found evidence that it not only makes white men believe that women and minorities are being treated fairly — whether that’s true or not — it also makes them more likely to believe that they themselves are being treated unfairly.

We put young white men through a hiring simulation for an entry-level job at a fictional technology firm. For half of the “applicants,” the firm’s recruitment materials briefly mentioned its pro-diversity values. For the other half, the materials did not mention diversity. In all other ways, the firm was described identically. All of the applicants then underwent a standardized job interview while we videotaped their performance and measured their cardiovascular stress responses.

Compared to white men interviewing at the company that did not mention diversity, white men interviewing for the pro-diversity company expected more unfair treatment and discrimination against whites. They also performed more poorly in the job interview, as judged by independent raters. And their cardiovascular responses during the interview revealed that they were more stressed.

Thus, pro-diversity messages signaled to these white men that they might be undervalued and discriminated against. These concerns interfered with their interview performance and caused their bodies to respond as if they were under threat. Importantly, diversity messages led to these effects regardless of these men’s political ideology, attitudes toward minority groups, beliefs about the prevalence of discrimination against whites, or beliefs about the fairness of the world. This suggests just how widespread negative responses to diversity may be among white men: the responses exist even among those who endorse the tenets of diversity and inclusion.

In another set of experiments, we found that diversity initiatives also seem to do little to convince minorities that companies will treat them more fairly. Participants from ethnic minorities viewed a pro-diversity company as no more inclusive, no better to work for, and no less likely to discriminate against minorities than a company without a pro-diversity stance. (Other researchers have seen more promising results of pro-diversity rhetoric and images, but it’s clear they’re no panacea.)

The implications of this study are troubling for the ways we currently attempt to manage diversity and foster inclusion in our organizations. Groups that typically occupy positions of power may feel alienated and vulnerable when their company claims to value diversity. This may be one explanation for the lackluster success of most diversity management attempts: when people feel threatened, they may resist efforts to make the workplace more inclusive.

So what can managers do? First, they must appreciate the potential effect of diversity messages on groups that have traditionally been favored in organizations. Of course, this isn’t to say that managers should avoid discussions about or efforts to increase diversity in order to spare the feelings of their white male employees. However, managers committed to fostering a diverse workplace may need to spend a bit more time crafting messages and designing programs that are more effective because they come across as more inclusive.

Second, managers should know the limits of diversity initiatives for minorities and women. Currently, diversity initiatives’ strongest accomplishment may actually be protecting the organization from litigation — not protecting the interests of underrepresented groups. Women and minorities thrive in environments that support diversity. But extolling the values of diversity and trying to train employees to value it may not convince minorities and women that they will be treated well, and may not increase their representation in the workforce. In order to foster fair, inclusive workplaces, diversity initiatives must incorporate accountability. They must be more than “colorful window dressing” that unintentionally angers a substantial portion of the workforce. Diversity policies must be researched, assessed for effectiveness, and implemented with care so that everyone in the workplace can feel valued and supported.
https://hbr.org/2016/01/diversity-po..._medium=social

Here's a link to the study that supports the argument that diversity programs may be detrimental to organizations

Best Practices or Best Guesses? Assessing the Efficacy of Corporate Affirmative Action and Diversity Policies

Here's a link to the study discussed in the article

Members of high-status groups are threatened by pro-diversity organizational messages
"In any system with finite resources and infinite expansion of population—like your business, or like all of humanity—innovation is essential for not only success but also survival. The innovators are our leaders. You cannot separate the two. Whether it is by thought, technology or organization, innovation is our only hope to solve our challenges."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
badfast

My Ride: A car
tl;dr

Don't try and call me out or my wife. You don't operate on the same level as me.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #3
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
tl;dr

Don't try and call me out or my wife. You don't operate on the same level as me.
That's all you have to contribute? Is this a knee-jerk reaction to objective studies that disprove what you've been promoting historically?
"In any system with finite resources and infinite expansion of population—like your business, or like all of humanity—innovation is essential for not only success but also survival. The innovators are our leaders. You cannot separate the two. Whether it is by thought, technology or organization, innovation is our only hope to solve our challenges."
Old 01-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #4
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
That's all you have to contribute? Is this a knee-jerk reaction to objective studies that disprove what you've been promoting historically?
It is all I feel like contributing. It is a tl;dr article from the pov of someone I don't care to hear their pov. Didn't we have this discussion about tl;dr articles from your previous tl;dr crap?

Last edited by badfast; 01-04-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #5
bimmerfan08

Quote:
It is all I feel like contributing. It is a tl;dr article from the pov of someone I don't care to hear their pov. Didn't we have this discussion about tl;dr articles from your previous tl;dr crap?
Since you want to so eagerly dismiss reading the OP and be biased against data that suggests conclusions that differ from the feel-good propaganda you're so inclined to believe, here's my take on the subject from the OP.

"I've long been an advocate of organizational cultures that promote and encourage individuals that are innovative, creative, knowledgeable and have desirable character traits regardless of their race or gender. Essentially, an individual's merit and personality. It's been documented and confirmed through studies that true diversity can improve the culture and bottom line of organizations. In addition to the suggestions in the article and rather than try to forcefully cram diversity down everybody's throats, I think individuals should oppose discrimination and be more cognizant of individuals in organizations that are discriminatory and take necessary action up to and including litigation and legal proceedings if necessary to rid organizations of racist or sexist individuals. This has to happen outside of the workplace too. It needs to become ingrained in society and needs to be taught and disciplined in our schools, in our homes, by our fellow citizens, and by our political leaders."
Old 01-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #6
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: fast
remember when this forum liked women?

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #7
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
remember when this forum liked women?
Why do I get the feeling you're going to turn what otherwise could be a constructive and productive discussion into a NWS post fest?
Old 01-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #8
badfast

Quote:
Since you want to so eagerly dismiss reading the OP and be biased against data that suggests conclusions that differ from the feel-good propaganda you're so inclined to believe, here's my take on the subject from the OP.

See...fvck off. You don't know me nor what I believe. But you like to assume that you do.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #9
bimmerfan08

Quote:
See...fvck off. You don't know me nor what I believe. But you like to assume that you do.
Relax. I don't think it's necessary to resort to profanity while trying to engage in civil discourse. You're right in that I don't personally know you and all of your beliefs/interests, but I know what you've posted and what you take a stance on historically by your posts. Unless you've been trolling all this time and with assumptions aside, one can have a darn good indication of what you support and how you approach discussions.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #10
badfast

Does my vocabulary offend you? It is no longer 2015 that easily offended millenial stuff is so last year.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #11
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Does my vocabulary offend you? It is no longer 2015 that easily offended millenial stuff is so last year.
Not in the least bit, but it seems to be an indication again, based on previous posts, of you taking the subject/discussion too personal rather than seeing my jesting comment as non-threatening and continuing to have a constructive discussion. I'm all ears and eyes if you have anything to counter the information being presented. I would like to discuss this subject with individuals like you because you and your wife share a unique and differing perspective that I may not always be attuned to.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #12
Stankia

My Ride: V8
Another women's rights related thread by bimmerfan08
Old 01-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #13
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
Another everybody's rights related thread by bimmerfan08
Ftfy

It wouldn't be such a hot-button issue if Bernie and the like would throttle back on pumping false and misleading information into their supporters.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 01-04-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #14
MotorWerkz

My Ride: Feminazi
Send a message via AIM to MotorWerkz
Quote:
Not in the least bit, but it seems to be an indication again, based on previous posts, of you taking the subject/discussion too personal rather than seeing my jesting comment as non-threatening and continuing to have a constructive discussion. I'm all ears and eyes if you have anything to counter the information being presented. I would like to discuss this subject with individuals like you because you and your wife share a unique and differing perspective that I may not always be attuned to.
Is it about paygrade?
Old 01-04-2016, 09:17 PM   #15
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorWerkz View Post
Is it about paygrade?
Huh?
Old 01-04-2016, 09:20 PM   #16
MotorWerkz

My Ride: Feminazi
Send a message via AIM to MotorWerkz
Quote:
Huh?
Nothing... I wonder why he's so sensitive.... Is it the estrogen effect?
Old 01-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #17
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: fast
Quote:
Why do I get the feeling you're going to turn what otherwise could be a constructive and productive discussion into a NWS post fest?
Maybe. But we should never forget where we come from.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #18
Stankia

My Ride: V8
Quote:
Ftfy

It wouldn't be such a hot-button issue if Bernie and the like would throttle back on pumping false and misleading information into their supporters.
About women's work rights? It's not even in the top 10.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #19
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:

"I've long been an advocate of organizational cultures that promote and encourage individuals that are innovative, creative, knowledgeable and have desirable character traits regardless of their race or gender. Essentially, an individual's merit and personality. It's been documented and confirmed through studies that true diversity can improve the culture and bottom line of organizations. In addition to the suggestions in the article and rather than try to forcefully cram diversity down everybody's throats, I think individuals should oppose discrimination and be more cognizant of individuals in organizations that are discriminatory and take necessary action up to and including litigation and legal proceedings if necessary to rid organizations of racist or sexist individuals. This has to happen outside of the workplace too. It needs to become ingrained in society and needs to be taught and disciplined in our schools, in our homes, by our fellow citizens, and by our political leaders."
Diversity in the workplace has long been proven to be counter-intuitive and none of this is news for any business owner or someone in management. Furthermore, diversity in the workplace often creates "quota employees" as well as "quota clients/customers" that are there like animals at the zoo, for show, to attract bigger clients. For instance, some lawfirms will deal with some poor black owned company in Detroit for the SOLE reason to get someone like McDonalds...who because of public scrutiny, will only hire firms that are involved in "diversity." Smaller businesses are simpler.....they just don't want to deal with the BS. They won't hire blacks because if you have to fire them, who the fvck wants to deal with a wrongful "its because Im black" termination suit, or "he fired me because I cried" suit....much easier not to hire the person that comes with legal annoyance baggage....again, none of this is news to anyone in business.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:14 PM   #20
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
I deal with this crap all day every day, horrible

Herbert Camacho '16

"Every age has its peculiar folly: Some scheme, project, or fantasy into which it plunges, spurred on by the love of gain, the necessity of excitement, or the force of imitation." - Charles Mackay Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841)
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote