E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2015, 11:21 PM   #1
Top_Bunk

My Ride: Ram-Air Nylon
I'm sorry, you don't have a license to repair your own car

Quote:
GM’s claim is all about copyright and software code, and it’s the same claim John Deere is making about their tractors. The TL;DR version of the argument goes something like this:
  • Cars work because software tells all the parts how to operate
  • The software that tells all the parts to operate is customized code
  • That code is subject to copyright
  • GM owns the copyright on that code and that software
  • A modern car cannot run without that software; it is integral to all systems
  • Therefore, the purchase or use of that car is a licensing agreement
  • And since it is subject to a licensing agreement, GM is the owner and can allow/disallow certain uses or access.
http://consumerist.com/2015/05/20/gm...es-who-own-it/

If I'm reading this right, the outcome of this case could either make things easier or make them even more difficult for indy shops and backyard mechanics. Want to reset your airbag light or CEL? Might need a software license to legally do that, which I'm sure only the dealers will have access to. And you can forget about custom ECU tunes from a local shop.

Thoughts?
Top_Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:25 PM   #2
Lair

My Ride: e90,e90, $5k Boxster
Old cars are about to become extremely popular.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:33 PM   #3
IFX

My Ride: M156
i need a boxster.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:33 PM   #4
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: N/A
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Bunk View Post
http://consumerist.com/2015/05/20/gm...es-who-own-it/

If I'm reading this right, the outcome of this case could either make things easier or make them even more difficult for indy shops and backyard mechanics. Want to reset your airbag light or CEL? Might need a software license to legally do that, which I'm sure only the dealers will have access to. And you can forget about custom ECU tunes from a local shop.

Thoughts?
This may be an area where more SWEs may want to exploit to provide a service such as resetting CELs and ECU tuning. Upon finding which version of Eclipse IDE I needed to download to practice Java with I found this Eclipse package that contains frameworks and tools for Automotive Developers: https://eclipse.org/downloads/packag...onents/junosr2

I may want to get into this to combine my love for cars and SW together and to help some fellow gearheads.

Last edited by nikkeiS2K; 05-21-2015 at 11:34 PM.
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:41 PM   #5
Top_Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkeiS2K View Post
This may be an area where more SWEs may want to exploit to provide a service such as resetting CELs and ECU tuning. Upon finding which version of Eclipse IDE I needed to download to practice Java with I found this Eclipse package that contains frameworks and tools for Automotive Developers: https://eclipse.org/downloads/packag...onents/junosr2

I may want to get into this to combine my love for cars and SW together and to help some fellow gearheads.
From the sounds of it there could be a huge market for this, if it could be done legally.

I never thought that the last 7 or so years of rooting/jailbreaking phones would be practice for future car repairs. I can see a similar community developing around it.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:56 AM   #6
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
If this argument they're making becomes more mainstream, I hope people vote with their wallets and cut GM's sales by 25% or more. Same thing for JD.

And that's coming from someone whose grandfather was a Chevrolet dealer. And from someone who used and swore by JD tractors and other products for years on his farm. And from someone who has recently been planning on spending over $100k on a Z07.

If their argument is that my purchase is a licensing agreement, they can pound sand. I'll buy a 911 and be happy about it.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:28 AM   #7
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
soooooooooo, an active autowerke tune, such as i have , is copyright infringement?

lol, i have the dreaded p2237 and p2240 o2 codes that need a reflash to fix , only reason i won't do it is i'll lose my active tune and have to get it done all over again

hey guys, here is a bag of sh!t , but don't open it, it's ours , just carry it around and deal with the smell

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 05-22-2015 at 06:29 AM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #8
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
So this is no different from the EULA you agree to when installing OS X, Windows, etc? Considering most new cars are rolling computers, this doesn't surprise me. Think of all the different things that software touches - throttle, stability control, airbags, electric power steering assist...just to name a few important ones. GM is basically saying "we highly advise you don't modify any part of our software because there is a high risk of fvcking up some other important part of the system."

Enforcement will be difficult, though. People will always find a way to "jailbreak" new software.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #9
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
So this is no different from the EULA you agree to when installing OS X, Windows, etc? Considering most new cars are rolling computers, this doesn't surprise me. Think of all the different things that software touches - throttle, stability control, airbags, electric power steering assist...just to name a few important ones. GM is basically saying "we highly advise you don't modify any part of our software because there is a high risk of fvcking up some other important part of the system."

Enforcement will be difficult, though. People will always find a way to "jailbreak" new software.
People don't have collisions with their devices that have been jailborken. Get into a collision and one of the first things first responders will do will pop something into the port and see if anything has been modified. They there may be liability for the collision along with the consequences for modifications.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #10
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl, no roof
Quote:

They aren't doing this to prevent fvcking up other systems, they are doing it in an effort to pad their bank accounts.

Cars have been run entirely on computers for a decade now, the whole software thing isn't anything new, it's just a lawyer that got a huge bonus because he found this little loophole in getting people to go to the dealer and pay up.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #11
Top_Bunk

Quote:

That's the way I read it, you essentially agree to an EULA when purchasing a vehicle. I would have no problem with GM saying "we advise you to not screw with the software", in fact that would be a wise thing for them to do. My concern is that it could become illegal to touch the computer without GM's consent, leaving open the possibility of shutting out indy and DIY mechanics.

Depending how far they take it, this could make something as simple as an oil change impossible to DIY.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #12
erickonphoenix
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
I think it's a first step to black boxing cars, which they will need to do as we progress to autonomous cars. They won't want anyone accessing the software in one of these vehicles which might lead to erroneous performance. Hopefully, I'll be long dead before this is fully implemented.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #13
insomniac

My Ride: ///M
follow the money
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:21 AM   #14
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
I think it's a first step to black boxing cars, which they will need to do as we progress to autonomous cars. They won't want anyone accessing the software in one of these vehicles which might lead to erroneous performance. Hopefully, I'll be long dead before this is fully implemented.

Exactly.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #15
invisible man
Banned User

My Ride: invisible car
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
Yup. OBD3.
invisible man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:51 AM   #16
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
christ, **** this.

Let's all get E30's.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:30 AM   #17
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp0wer View Post
people don't have collisions with their devices that have been jailborken. Get into a collision and one of the first things first responders will do will pop something into the port and see if anything has been modified. They there may be liability for the collision along with the consequences for modifications.
+1

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:14 AM   #18
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
I doubt they will have much to say about it when they see me rolling in with my sweet new audio upgrade.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #19
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Oh GM, you're just coming up with new ways to go out of business. How cute.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is online now   Reply With Quote